I finally did it (running my notebook on puppy linux) (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrazil

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'd been having so much trouble with the cd/dvd drive that I thought a live CD would never work, but I cleaned the lens of the drive really well and it worked.

I am on Puppy Linux 4.1 and using seamonkey to surf the net. Fun fun. the entire Operating System is running from my 512 MB of ram with plenty of space to spare. Ive done all kinds of stuff. Even accessing the internet from a wifi signal that Windows insists is too weak to work.

I like this.

Now to partition and really install this baby.

Cool. Make sure you remember which kernel module is driving your wifi adaptor. Does Puppy use XFCE?

Good luck!

Wow, llamakc, I didn't understand anything you just typed but I will look it up and learn. As far as the wi-fi, I plugged in a a hawking USB wifi thing and pressed 2 buttons and puppy picked it up and pulled in the internet. On windows I had to install the hawking drivers and it works sometimes with the hawking software, but with the windows zero configuration it "sees" the network, but says the signal is too weak to work.

Gotta go.

Now to partition and really install this baby.

That was easier than I thought. The puppy linux live CD made it all easy. I used the G-Parted program to partition my Hard Drive. I shrunk the Windows partition from 100 GB to 70. Made an extended partition and put in it several partitions as advised in the installation manual. I then installed the puppy linux program on one partition, left a swap-file partition and made two big 10 GB partitions one FAT32 and the other native linux format I forgot what it's called.

I installed grub and rebooted. This was all done sucessfully on the first try. Windows is working perfectly and linux too.

After I learn this a little and get the linux terminology down I will look into other distros.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom