I found out the results of my CT scan today. (1 Viewer)

staphory

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
As many of you may remember, I had a CT scan of my head two weeks ago today. Well, the nurse called me this morning and told me that the scan indicated that I might have poor blood circulation in my head. He wouldn't elaborate beyond that however.
He did say that they now want to do an MRI of my brain. The problem is that I had a stainless steel plate attached to my cervical spine (from C4 to C7) last year and I was told that I couldn't have another MRI ever again. When I told the nurse this he said that he would have to talk to my doctor to see what else could be done.
Anybody know what else they might be thinking of trying?

Last edited:
No. But move to Amsterdam and enjoy the rest of your time here on earth.

:rock:

TPS

As many of you may remember, I had a CT scan of my head two weeks ago today. Well, the nurse called me this morning and told me that the scan indicated that I might have poor blood circulation in my head. He wouldn't elaborate beyond that however.
He did say that they now want to do an MRI of my brain. The problem is that I had a stainless steel plate attached to my cervical spine (from C4 to C7) last year and I was told that I couldn't have another MRI ever again. When I told the nurse this he said that he would have to talk to my doctor to see what else could be done.

Whatever they try I wish the best for you. The only other thing I can think of the top of my head would be a PET scan but I am far from a doctor and have no idea how that would effect the metal plate or vice versa.

Maybe a barium stain? Something like that would tell them where and how fast blood is moving.

Good luck with it, Staphory. I'm heading back to the neurologist myself. Snorkeling in Cancun seems to've tweaked my trigeminal nerve again and I can barely open my mouth. This is unacceptable with Thanksgiving only two weeks away. ;)

Maybe a barium stain? Something like that would tell them where and how fast blood is moving.

Good luck with it, Staphory. I'm heading back to the neurologist myself. Snorkeling in Cancun seems to've tweaked my trigeminal nerve again and I can barely open my mouth. This is unacceptable with Thanksgiving only two weeks away. ;)
Heh, no doubt! It would most definately suck to not be able to eat too much!

No. But move to Amsterdam and enjoy the rest of your time here on earth.

:rock:

TPS
:_rofl:

/////////////////////////////////

Good luck with that, Staph. As you know I was medically discharged due a condition known as thoracic syrinx syringomyelia. Look it up if you want as I am not going to go into a 55 page disertation on the subject.:ezbill:

All I know is that they can do surgery on it to drain the fluid from the syrinx in my C and T spine, but what they don't tell you is that it almost always comes back within 1 to 2 years after surgery. On top of that, the VA medical system sucks. I hated to get released from active duty with 12 years in because I wanted to retire. I just hope for your sake that everything turns out allright for you. Good luck.

Dang man...when it rains, it pours huh? But hey...at least you have a ready-made excuse for anything you want to get away with.:cool:

Hey-

First, let me say good luck to ya with the outcome on your tests.

As far as the plate in your neck, it's likely to be titanium not stainless steel. Either way, it's ok to have an MRI. Orthopedic implants are safe in an MRI environment- I can't come up with any that are unsafe and I've been doing MRI for 20+ years. If the MRI can provide a definitive diagnosis, let 'em go ahead with it.

If you want to check out a sight by the guru on MR saftey, www.mrisafety.com is the sight to go to. Frank Shellock has been teaching MRI safety since God made dirt and is viewed as the DUDE on the subject.

Good luck again

Bob

Hey-

First, let me say good luck to ya with the outcome on your tests.

As far as the plate in your neck, it's likely to be titanium not stainless steel. Either way, it's ok to have an MRI. Orthopedic implants are safe in an MRI environment- I can't come up with any that are unsafe and I've been doing MRI for 20+ years. If the MRI can provide a definitive diagnosis, let 'em go ahead with it.

If you want to check out a sight by the guru on MR saftey, www.mrisafety.com is the sight to go to. Frank Shellock has been teaching MRI safety since God made dirt and is viewed as the DUDE on the subject.

Good luck again

Bob
Thanks Bob. So why do they bothe to ask about metal?
Anyway, I have an MRI scheduled for the 28th. Good thing that they don't suspect cancer huh?

Thanks everyone. I'll update when I know more.

Hey, my dad use to tell me that I have poor blood circulation in my head!

Thanks Bob. So why do they bothe to ask about metal?
Anyway, I have an MRI scheduled for the 28th. Good thing that they don't suspect cancer huh?

Thanks everyone. I'll update when I know more.

No prob. Patients are asked about metal for two reasons. 1- to make sure they don't have any in them that can cause injury- shrapnel in the brain/spinal canal, metal in the eyes for example, or surgically implanted stuff that will do the same- anuerysm clips or ferrous clips that haven't been in place long enough to be set in place by scar tissue. The other is to find out ahead of time if the patient has a safe metal implant that might interfere with the diagnostic quality of the exam. Someone with a knee replacement can have an MRI safely, but imaging the area where the replacement is would be useless since the area would look too distorted to provide useful info.

Plus, we're generally nosey bastids. ;)

Well, here's the promised update.
I had the MRI done on Tuesday of last week. I had to go to the Naval hospital in Portsmouth to get it done. I misjudged how long it would take and ended up arriving extra early. they made me wait a long time before it was my turn.
Anyway, I knew that I was likely to have an IV started for the contrast material, so I wasn't surprised when they told me about it. I was surprised that it took the tech 5 stabs to get it going! I still have a bruise the size of a 50 cent piece on my arm!
Then they told me that the test would take an hour! An hour! It turns out that my doc asked for three seperate tests. A brain scan, a coratoid scan, and a thoracic scan. Lying in that machine for an hour without moving was pretty hard, but obviously I survived! ;)
Well, I got an e-mail from a nurse today telling me that the scan indicated that I need further study! He provided no more detail than that! Are doctors usually this cryptic when dealing with patients? I know they don't want to cause me any undue concern but this is ridiculous!
Now they want me to see a Neurosurgeon. :smileeek:
I thought I had a handle on what they are looking for but I'm not so sure now. Anyone have any suggestions/

Oh, and this smilie is funny! :miss114:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom