I got laid off today. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. After watching friends at work get laid off over the last year, it was my turn today. After fourteen years at the same company, I was let go. I don't understand why it happened. I had never gotten less than excedes expectations on any of the yearly reviews. I had built up over four hundred hours of sick time before it was capped at one hundred and sixty hours. I didn't abuse it unlike some. I realized how important it was for me to be at work everyday. I worked my way up from a courier to a dispatcher to a operations agent. I worked hard for everything I received and end the end, it was the office staff that got cut. If I had not been such a good a employeee, I'd still have a job as a courier. It just has left me devistated. I had no plans to leave, I wanted to stay there till I retired. It was the only job I ever had. If anyone has a decent job to offer, you'd get a great and loyal employee. I'am facing bankruptcy soon if I can't find a job paying close to what I worked my way up to making. I don't know what I'll do. I''d be really greatfull if someone can help me out. I have a class A CDL and have worked routes in uptown, gretna, harvey, marrero, algiers and the CBD. I'am also trained in haz mat acceptance. As a operations agent, I handeled accounts payable, driver manifest reconsile and customer service. I worked in the overnight air industy for a large company and received two awards for excellence, no one else had ever gotten more than one in the history of the company. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I don't have a job to offer but I do have some support. Keep your head up man. Everything happens for a reason. It may seem like a horrible thing now. You may find a much better job soon. Who knows? Just know that it happened for a reason and God will help you get through it.

Sorry to hear about that SaintMike, I can relate to suddenly not having an income anymore (when I went deaf). You have to run around cutting any unessential recurring expense that you can. We made one mistake in that we used my wife's credit card to remain a float for 2 months, this ended up costing A LOT. Fortunately, 8 months later I am hearing well and we have some decent income again and are paying things down. It's very hard.

I will pray for you and your family.

God bless.

I'am starting to pull myself back up, I was really down for a few days. I applied online for a few jobs listed on monster.com, now comes the waiting game.

Sorry you are going through this tough period Mike. I hope things look up for you. Keep trying, you sound like a real go getter.... "One door closes, Another WILL open!!!

I dont think you'll have to worry for long, Mike. Your work history sounds like exactly what employers are looking for. I have a close relative who might be interested in meeting you. check your PM.

In my biz, you get laid off every 2 years, so its not a big deal for us--- very similiar to coaching. My first date with Casey was one of the days I got fired.

Try not to stress & best of luck...

Last edited:
If they laid you off, I'm surprised they didn't give you some sort of severance package (in addition to the value of your remaining leave) since it wasn't your performance that got you canned. I believe the company my father works for hands out 6 months salary in compensation to help you out until you can find another gig. Laid off != Fired.

Let us know how things work out, and best of luck!

I never said I didn't get a severance package, I did receive a very good one. What I' am saying is that after that runs out, if I don't find another job paying close to what I was making it will be impossible to make ends meet. I was not fired.

I never said I didn't get a severance package, I did receive a very good one. What I' am saying is that after that runs out, if I don't find another job paying close to what I was making it will be impossible to make ends meet. I was not fired.

Oh, that's good to hear at least. I must have misread something, I was thinking you basically had about a month to find a new job. It's still challenging though - best of luck to you.

Not sure if this helps..its a ways but..I can get some of you in at weatherford international. I work in the oil and gas industry..offices located in houston, granbury, tx Okl..pretty much all over..anyone interested in the details give me an email..toddbossier@hotmail.com. Money is good, benefits..and business is booming..

Not sure if this helps..its a ways but..I can get some of you in at weatherford international. I work in the oil and gas industry..offices located in houston, granbury, tx Okl..pretty much all over..anyone interested in the details give me an email..toddbossier@hotmail.com. Money is good, benefits..and business is booming..

Yes, I don't know if you're mobile but you could try some of the oil services companies in and around Houston. Some are desperate for hard-working folks like you. Good luck and I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and your family. You might also try McJunkin/RedMan -- I think they just had some kind of merger. That often leads to layoffs but it may be that some people leave voluntarily and you might happen into a position that way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom