I got something to say! (1 Viewer)

Steamer is the best way, and the fastest. I stripped my entire kitchen using a steamer and plastic putty knife in a day. Pretty large kitchen and breakfast area. It actually became a little fun and challenging.

Used the vinegar & water, Dif stuff and plain water which I think worked just as good by itself. Now to mud in all the damaged area, sand, then prime and paint. Just say no to wallpaper!

I am so glad you posted this! I'm about to embark on the same perilous journey, and you helped me prepare myself for the torture I'm about to undergo. In my bathroom, not only is there wallpaper over unprimed sheetrock, but there's also generous gobs of silicone caulking along window sills, mirror frames, countertops, you name it.

If that wallpaper weren't so unsightly and ready to peel away where it isn't adhered to the wall with twice the power of the strong nuclear force, I would paint over that ugly mess.

When I'm done with that, I have a kitchen to handle, too. It's got yellow and blue wallpaper in jagged shapes that look like a migraine aura. That ought to be a blast.

Oh, and Flippy -- you're right. Wallpaper does suck! Give me any shade of paint anyday over that mess.

I am so glad you posted this! I'm about to embark on the same perilous journey, and you helped me prepare myself for the torture I'm about to undergo. In my bathroom, not only is there wallpaper over unprimed sheetrock, but there's also generous gobs of silicone caulking along window sills, mirror frames, countertops, you name it.

If that wallpaper weren't so unsightly and ready to peel away where it isn't adhered to the wall with twice the power of the strong nuclear force, I would paint over that ugly mess.

When I'm done with that, I have a kitchen to handle, too. It's got yellow and blue wallpaper in jagged shapes that look like a migraine aura. That ought to be a blast.

Oh, and Flippy -- you're right. Wallpaper does suck! Give me any shade of paint anyday over that mess.

Sue it takes a lot of patience! I did my kitchen a few years back and swore I'd near tackle a removal project again but here I am.

Here's an option that works if the paper is adhered to the wall solidly in the open areas. Where the edges are rolled up you can peel those back or the seams are noticeable then skim over them with sheetrock mud to fill in, once dry lightly sand smooth. Prime over the entire room with a Kilz oil based (no odor) primer, two coats minimum. I also thoroughly clean the walls with a mild soap and water solution before priming. Then use the paint of your choice. I've done a bedroom like this and you'd never know the walls had paper on them.

I was going to do the bathroom like this but got started peeling and was too far along to stop.

Years ago, I lived in an apartment that I pretty much had to take care of everything if I wanted anything done (inlaws owned the place). There was paper on the ceiling. On the ceiling! It was cracked in places, and looked horrible. I thought a nice coat of paint would look so much better. I'll paint right over it, I thought. Latex paint and 50 year old paper..... well, let me say that to say that they don't mix would be inaccurate. They mix all too well. The water in the paint softened the adhesive, and I wound up with strips of paper wrapped around my roller. Okay. I'll just use plain water and saturate the ceiling and just continue to remove it from the roller. There were no fewer than eight layers of paper on the ceiling! That plan wasn't gonna work. I thought, "I'll use a razor scraper and take it off in small sections". Here I am, working on a ladder, scraping what amounts to an eighth inch of paper and adhesive from the plaster ceiling. I'd get a section done, and then use water to soften the remaining adhesive, and scrape it yet again. Turns out the ceiling wasn't cracked. it was just the paper.

Took me two full years.

Then we moved.

:rant:

Seriously like dtc said, just take down the sheetrock next time. It might be a similar amount of work, but it's easier work that smells better.

And it might be more expensive, but what is the cost of your sanity? Spraying texture is fun and makes your house smell new. Picking little pieces of paper off the wall will drive you nuts.

Tear it off. Trust me. Once the drywall is in the trash, the wallpaper is gone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom