I guess we're going to draft a linebacker (1 Viewer)

We aren't good at drafting LBs, in recent history. For whatever reason, we aren't good at projecting to the next level.

Perfect example is Stephone Anthony. We used a late 1st round pick on a guy that couldn't even start in this league. Has speed and physical tools but bad instincts.

We are much better at evaluating LBs that are already in the league ie: Demario Davis, John Vilma, Fujita etc.

We aren't good at drafting LBs, in recent history. For whatever reason, we aren't good at projecting to the next level.

Perfect example is Stephone Anthony. We used a late 1st round pick on a guy that couldn't even start in this league. Has speed and physical tools but bad instincts.

We are much better at evaluating LBs that are already in the league ie: Demario Davis, John Vilma, Fujita etc.

We've only spent one day 1 pick on a LB in the SP era and none with Jeff Ireland in the house. That one pick was Anthony, and it was bad enough to color our perception of how well we draft linebackers.

We've only drafted one day 2 LB in the Jeff Ireland era, Alex Anzalone. He was graded higher than a 3rd but fell due to his list of injuries. And he's played as such. He's looked every bit a late first round, early to mid 2nd round LB when healthy, but unfortunately, those injuries that made him fall in the draft have followed him into his pro career.

We've drafted several Day 3 LBs, and those guys are usually special teamers with upside, or project players. So far, we haven't seen any real returns on any of their upsides, but we've had some good special teams play from a few. The main issue with this group of guys has also been injuries.

I'd be more willing to say that it's not so much that we stink at drafting and developing LBs (in recent years) as it is that we just haven't drafted many. Small sample size, marred by injuries.

Kiko, Thor, and Davis will be our starters unless we find an upgrade in free agency or spend a high draft pick. I know that's not ideal, but it really is an upgrade to last year's unit.

Davis = Davis
Anzalone > Kiko
Kiko > Klein
Robertson = Robertson

If Kiko and Thor come back at 100% and stay off of the IR list this season, we have nothing to worry about in our 2nd level. But that's a longshot at best.

Even if we add a LB via Free Agency - we should still draft one. A player in the mold of Dre Greenlaw with that speed would be very helpful to the defense.

I would be willing to trade up for Kenneth Murray. Obviously Isaiah Simmons is the best LB and my favorite player in the draft for what we need. Murray has the potential to be the next Demario Davis and would fit in perfectly next to him. We would have 2 mister elite athletic LBs who can play all 3 downs. It’s time we go draft a stud LB and imo Murray is that guy. If he’s at 24 no question. The other player I am really high on is Henry Ruggs III as well. He is right there with Murray as my impact player I take at 24 and would be willing to trade up for.

On defense with near everyone returning Murray is that missing piece to what we need. If Anzalone could stay healthy we would have a very talented athletic LB core. If he’s not there I would be willing to go with a top WRat 24 and trade into the 2nd for Queen along with quite a few other LBs if possible. We need an impact LB and WR.

No way you trade up in this draft. If anything you trade back and try to get a 2nd. This draft is incredibly deep...you stay put and take what it gives you.

Watching most of the free agents linebackers , I would love to see the saints pick up in free agency are going to new teams. All.i can think now we're probably going to drafted one now. I'm not feeling who's left out there

Yeah I'm gonna need Isiah Simmoms to Smoke a big fat J the day before the draft so he can fall to 24

No way you trade up in this draft. If anything you trade back and try to get a 2nd. This draft is incredibly deep...you stay put and take what it gives you.

I mean your absolutely right, but you do know this is Mickey and Sean we are talking about.

If they love a player they arent afraid to go get him. I'm cool with that it's worked thus far.

I think the value is going to be tremendous at LBer at #24. Usually only a few LBers are off the board by that point in the draft. Obviously there's a lot of demand for Edge players but when it comes to your plain old traditional LBer you can get one of the top two or three at 24.

So if Kenneth Murray or Patrick Queen is still on the board it would make sense. They'd be passing on some good WR prospects but there should be plenty available later in the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom