I guess we're going to draft a linebacker (2 Viewers)

The ideal scenario is to grab the best LB available and somehow trade back into the second round to grab the best WR available.

Anzalone’s injury history is the big reason here.

I highly doubt Kiko would be ready for camp. If we don't cut him June 1st then he will be pup for awhile. Thor has had two season ending injuries in 3 seasons. I'm betting we sign a vet or pull off a trade. Not a clue who but Collins would be your go by.
Don't need his release to be a June 1 cut. He has less then $1M in guaranteed money on his final year. He is just simply a clean cut with about $800k in dead money and about $7.9M in cap space created.

If they can stay healthy, I think we'll be better at the LB position. Especially if they draft a good LB.

Davis = Davis
Anzalone > Kiko
Elliss ? Klein
Robertson = Robertson.

Anzalone is never available. I'm surprised people even mention his name on this forum at this point. Klein > Elliss until Elliss proves that he is healthy and can play the game of football. 2019 Robertson > 2020 Robertson...he looks slow and out of place last year. Unless something happens between now and the season starting...the LB corp is worst than last year.

Hard pass. We're not so good at drafting LB's, and it's a weak draft for LB's. We should just grab a veteran FA and sign 2-3 UDFA's and keep the best.

I would be willing to trade up for Kenneth Murray. Obviously Isaiah Simmons is the best LB and my favorite player in the draft for what we need. Murray has the potential to be the next Demario Davis and would fit in perfectly next to him. We would have 2 mister elite athletic LBs who can play all 3 downs. It’s time we go draft a stud LB and imo Murray is that guy. If he’s at 24 no question. The other player I am really high on is Henry Ruggs III as well. He is right there with Murray as my impact player I take at 24 and would be willing to trade up for.

On defense with near everyone returning Murray is that missing piece to what we need. If Anzalone could stay healthy we would have a very talented athletic LB core. If he’s not there I would be willing to go with a top WRat 24 and trade into the 2nd for Queen along with quite a few other LBs if possible. We need an impact LB and WR.

I would be willing to trade up for Kenneth Murray. Obviously Isaiah Simmons is the best LB and my favorite player in the draft for what we need. Murray has the potential to be the next Demario Davis and would fit in perfectly next to him. We would have 2 mister elite athletic LBs who can play all 3 downs. It’s time we go draft a stud LB and imo Murray is that guy. If he’s at 24 no question. The other player I am really high on is Henry Ruggs III as well. He is right there with Murray as my impact player I take at 24 and would be willing to trade up for.

On defense with near everyone returning Murray is that missing piece to what we need. If Anzalone could stay healthy we would have a very talented athletic LB core. If he’s not there I would be willing to go with a top WRat 24 and trade into the 2nd for Queen along with quite a few other LBs if possible. We need an impact LB and WR.

Henry Ruggs III will be long, long gone by 24. Would require a very expensive trade up. Would be the perfect addition to the offense with where Drew is at given he excels at taking short targets and turning on the burners for YAC but would be a true all in move given our lack of draft capital (no 2nd rounder) and decimate our 2021 draft in a likely post Brees era

Devon Kannard has been surprisingly released by the Lions. Had 7 sacks in each of the past seasons. Could be an interesting addition for LB depth and add much needed juice to our situational pass rush

We re-structured Kiko, so we're keeping him. Anzalone is good to go (at this time). Davis is Davis.
Kiko is a bit of an upgrade for Klein if he can return anywhere near 100% from his 3rd ACL.

Add Ellis, Robertson, and maybe Anthony, and this very well could be our LB group this year.
We will definitely have to stay healthy for this to work, but talent wise, we have a very solid group of starters.

It is discouraging that one starter has 3 bad shoulder injuries and another has 3 ACL surguries, but that's what we got.
I can see drafting a LB, but I doubt that happens early. Simmons is the only blue-chip and he'll go top 5.
I wouldn't be mad with Queen in round 1, but I'm not big on Murray that early. I can definitely see adding one on
Day 2 or Day 3, but I don't see any that would make an immediate impact going that late.

So Kiko, Thor, and Davis it is.

I wouldn’t bet on it. We never draft linebackers early. We build through the lines like good teams should. I think we’re going to take a tackle for some reason.

We re-structured Kiko, so we're keeping him. Anzalone is good to go (at this time). Davis is Davis.
Kiko is a bit of an upgrade for Klein if he can return anywhere near 100% from his 3rd ACL.

Add Ellis, Robertson, and maybe Anthony, and this very well could be our LB group this year.
We will definitely have to stay healthy for this to work, but talent wise, we have a very solid group of starters.

It is discouraging that one starter has 3 bad shoulder injuries and another has 3 ACL surguries, but that's what we got.
I can see drafting a LB, but I doubt that happens early. Simmons is the only blue-chip and he'll go top 5.
I wouldn't be mad with Queen in round 1, but I'm not big on Murray that early. I can definitely see adding one on
Day 2 or Day 3, but I don't see any that would make an immediate impact going that late.

There’s also a dark horse in the LB group right now... he fell into UDFA last draft, but that is likely due to a pre-existing injury at the time (that ultimately saw him spend all of last season on the NFI list).

Chase Hansen is a very athletic OLB, and he has played SS during his collegiate career at Utah. Prior to last year’s draft, there were projections that had him as high as a 3rd or 4th round pick (certainly draft worthy).
Nobody really mentions him, but I really liked him last Spring, and he’s still on the roster.

You can't go into the season with Kiko, Thor, and Davis. That is receipt for disaster by midseason. Unless the Saints are able to figure out a way to get something down before the draft I'd be shocked if the Saints don't draft a LB in either the 1st or 3rd round. It's sad that they are so limited with resources...but it is what it is.

I wouldn’t bet on it. We never draft linebackers early. We build through the lines like good teams should. I think we’re going to take a tackle for some reason.

We had a pressing need for LB in 2015 and drafted Stephone Anthony. As much as people say that the Saints draft BPA...that is not always the case in the first round. Vaccaro and Rankins are both other guys who were obviously drafted to fill an immediate need, and what do you know...they did exactly that...but they were low upside, safe players.

Davis and Anzalone have proven to be good when they play together. I have no idea how Elliss will compare to Klein, but he seems to have potential. If we find a solid LB in the draft and can stay healthy, I don't see how it wouldn't be an upgrade to last season. And our LBs were solid at worst in 2019.
I am not as sold on Anzalone as everyone else. He has his moments when he makes a great play, but a lot of times he looks completely lost. Maybe it is lack of experience due to all of the injuries. He just doesn’t seem to be that instinctive. He has all the physical attribute but not sure about his feel for the game. Reminds me of: “ Looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane.” The LB units needs a major upgrade in youth and speed. Davis is the man but we still haven’t found that second LB that is a major contributor.

We had a pressing need for LB in 2015 and drafted Stephone Anthony. As much as people say that the Saints draft BPA...that is not always the case in the first round. Vaccaro and Rankins are both other guys who were obviously drafted to fill an immediate need, and what do you know...they did exactly that...but they were low upside, safe players.
Yah and how did that pan out? Plus that was pick 30-31 in a weak draft class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom