I Had to Do This (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm so frustrated with the FO and some might say that they know what they're doing. However, everybody knows that we need to look for defensive players and we have the money to spend and what we do, we pick Vilma (whom I love but coming off a major injury) and we're pursuing a 2nd tier cb (I'm an LSU alum by the way).

I would be somewhat Ok with this but when I read that Loomies did not want to spend the money on a top tier free agent because a big portion of the cap will be tied to him just made me sick like everyone else.

We can't expect this team to be competitive year in and year out if that's the mentality of our front office. However, the FO is willing to trade a high pick for the Giants for a TE. I like Shockey and believe he will do pretty good in this offense but such a move should be made for a defensive player.

I still have hope that we MIGHT get Lito or Hall but I'm not getting my hopes up. Sorry guys but I had to get this off my chest.

I'm so frustrated with the FO and some might say that they know what they're doing. However, everybody knows that we need to look for defensive players and we have the money to spend and what we do, we pick Vilma (whom I love but coming off a major injury) and we're pursuing a 2nd tier cb (I'm an LSU alum by the way).

I would be somewhat Ok with this but when I read that Loomies did not want to spend the money on a top tier free agent because a big portion of the cap will be tied to him just made me sick like everyone else.

We can't expect this team to be competitive year in and year out if that's the mentality of our front office. However, the FO is willing to trade a high pick for the Giants for a TE. I like Shockey and believe he will do pretty good in this offense but such a move should be made for a defensive player.

I still have hope that we MIGHT get Lito or Hall but I'm not getting my hopes up. Sorry guys but I had to get this off my chest.

where did you read he doesnt want to spend alot of money?

It was on that thread about the interview with Loomies. Somebody did a recap and mentioned that.

However, the FO is willing to trade a high pick for the Giants for a TE. I like Shockey and believe he will do pretty good in this offense but such a move should be made for a defensive player.

Counting our chickens a little aren't we? Why not take a deep breath, get a beer and accept that it might take Loomis & co a little longer than 48 hours of FA to address the multiple holes we all know the Saints have on D. And tonight, just before you fall asleep, remind yourself that teams are built thru the draft and say a little pray to the Gods of Football that we have a good one!

Counting our chickens a little aren't we? Why not take a deep breath, get a beer and accept that it might take Loomis & co a little longer than 48 hours of FA to address the multiple holes we all know the Saints have on D. And tonight, just before you fall asleep, remind yourself that teams are built thru the draft and say a little pray to the Gods of Football that we have a good one!

Because that would take patience...

Dart i think ur just happy cause u get to see the London game and we don't!!!

hehehehe

I would be somewhat Ok with this but when I read that Loomies did not want to spend the money on a top tier free agent because a big portion of the cap will be tied to him just made me sick like everyone else. .

Translation; The Saints are more than just one man away from getting to the promise land. Why is that so hard to understand?

I kinda have to agree with the OP. When all you hear from this team is about building through the draft and then we find that their looking to TRADE for Shockey..... IT MADE ME SICK!

There is so much talent in the draft and we are looking to give up a number 2. WOW!

With the money we have in the bank we need to spend it. Last year we had $10-$11 mil left in the bank.... what do we leave on the table this year..... $20 mil?

I know we cant control how others players feel about this city and team but I'm sure we could get someone out there to come in and make a serious contribution.

I think I understand where Loomis is coming from. I know it's just a game, but if you play Front Office Football 2007 (a professional football management game) enough, you will realize how wrong it is to grab up a bunch of free agents every year. Down the line, and not that far in the future, they bust your cap completely. So if you want to avoid that, you take a FA or two in spots where you absolutely need to and draft for the bulk of your team.

I guess you could look at the Redskins for an idea of how bad things get out of hand..

Briggs, just for one example, wanted 6 million a year over a long contract. He might be worth that for us, but only if he's going to make a big impact on our pass rush, which is where our weakness is. Now that we have acquired Vilma, you might get the same bang out of far fewer bucks if you draft a LB to replace Shanle, and I've heard that there will be some available in the 2nd round that would be an upgrade for us. So I understand not going after Briggs now that we have Vilma. Getting both Briggs and Vilma in one year risks cap trouble in the none-too-distant future.

Anyway, that's what the game sez..

i think that it accually is smart that we didn't waste a ton of money on Briggs, sure I wanted him, but I think the extra cap space may be a better thing to have. There are still some solid free agents out there who can make an impact at a low price. The draft is where our team will improve, but we will still fill holes right away.

i think that it accually is smart that we didn't waste a ton of money on Briggs, sure I wanted him, but I think the extra cap space may be a better thing to have. There are still some solid free agents out there who can make an impact at a low price. The draft is where our team will improve, but we will still fill holes right away.

That's just it........by today's standard that wasn't a ton of money. Adalius Thomas' contract last year dwarfed this one.

You can't just try to sign everybody out there. There is something to say about chemistry and does a player fit in(see Jason David) Besides, FA is really top heavy this season. There's probably a couple really good players at the top for each position. after that you get a nice role/situational guy. I think the Saints got a starter at MLB for a future pick at a position that we haven't filled since the other #51 departed, Sam Mills. Weren't any top tier CBs, save for Samuels even though I didn't want the Saints to sign him. Itz just not that great of a year FA wise....

I think the Saints may be thinking to manuever there way back into the 1st round of the draft. If we could pick up two young impact players from the top of the draft, CB-FS-LB, that would go a long way to shoring up our defense.

I kinda have to agree with the OP. When all you hear from this team is about building through the draft and then we find that their looking to TRADE for Shockey..... IT MADE ME SICK!

There is so much talent in the draft and we are looking to give up a number 2. WOW!

With the money we have in the bank we need to spend it. Last year we had $10-$11 mil left in the bank.... what do we leave on the table this year..... $20 mil?

I know we cant control how others players feel about this city and team but I'm sure we could get someone out there to come in and make a serious contribution.

I think your comment about "cap space" is spot on. We signed marginal FA's last yr, at best and had quite a bit of cap space left over. This yr we have quite a bit available yet we failed to extend the contract(s) of key players: Colston, Smith, and/or Evans. Other than signing a few of our own guys, from a 7-9 team, what have we done? Players are moving fast and we appear to be watching them go by.... Trade for Vilma will hopefully be a good one, but otherwise what have we done to really improve a 7-9 team? Oh, I'm sure the ticket prices and other costs passed on to the fans WILL continue to increase.....just frustrating to see a proud base of fans subject to consistent mediocrity (other than a handful of yrs) since the inception of this franshise. Where's the tylenol......

I'm still not sure who people wanted us to go after. Reggie White? Lance Briggs is nice but he is a nutcase. Asante Samuel would be nice but I'd rather have the ability to lock up Colston, W. Smith, Jahri Evans and Vilma long term before splurging on a CB that may or may not be the product of the Patriots having a strong team and excellent scheme. Remember the long list of Raven's player that would be snatched up in FA only to bust? I think the first one to pan out was Adalius Thomas - who worked quite well with the Pats. We'll see how things turn out, but I'm not in favor of spending money just to spend. There was not much out there for us to capitalize on.

How some of you say that we want to build through the draft but we go ahead and trade a pick to Vilma (could be a couple of picks, so many reports) and looking to trade a pick to Shockey. If you want to give aways picks to get good players, it would make more sense to keep your picks and sign solid players from free agency.

It's not like we're getting sure things from the draft while you get proven players from free agency. I want to chill and calm down but we keep seeing this happenning every year and good players sign else where.

Not only will I wait for a couple of days, but I will wait until the season to make judgement. However, I still believe that we will have to rely on the offense to win games for us again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom