I hate NASCAR (2 Viewers)

I have some decidedly anti-Redneck buddies who love to go up to Talledega and would confirm what you said.

I agree. A group I work with (those that met us at Jimini before the Monday night game) goes to Talledega as well. Apparently, it's one of the best tailgating experiences ever. They're not really into watching the races on TV, though. :shrug:

Try living in North Georgia. This is the heart of NASCAR country and I can't stand the so-called "sport". I've been called anti-southern by the local yokels for not being a Dale Jr or Bill Elliot fan. If the drivers and pit crew did a shot of Jagermiester or Jack Daniels every 10 laps then it might actually make NASCAR exciting to me. Now it's just a big gathering of rednecks who I have no interest at all in fraternizing with. I guess you can call me a snob, but I just don't get fired up for NASCAR at all. I'd rather watch a Curling match.
N. Georgia? HAH! Try living in Anniston, AL...20 minutes from "Degger".

This will be my eat-crow post on NASCAR. I've joked about it and slammed it and its fans on this board. But, in a weird twist of events I found myself at the "Dickies 500" on Sunday. I went in with extremely low expectations and actual dread. I was mad that I had to tivo the Saints game and watch it later, etc. Bad mood. Anyway, I now respect NASCAR and won't bash it again. It was a pretty amazing spectacle in person I have to admit. The speed, power is awesome. The crashes and explosions were awesome. It loses everything on TV. I know that now. The people sitting around me were total NASCAR fans, but not the stereotype "Ricky Bobby" type stuff at all. They were actually extremely smart folks who taught me many of the intricacies of the sport/event (whatever you want to call it). I got in to this race for free, but I would definitely pay to go to a NASCAR race in the future.

Anyone who thinks NASCAR is not a sport obviously has never been to a race live. Watching them drive 180 to 190 MPH with less than 6 inches between them and the car beside them is awesome.

You have to be an athlete to drive the speeds they do at such close tolerence and conditions. Inside a car with the temperature over 100 degrees for 3-4 hours, G-forces, absolutely no room for error and you say it's not a sport.

Go to a race live and then tell me what you think. I agree, T.V. does not do it justice. But once you understand it, you will see it's not just a buncy of guys driving in a circle. I go to 2 or 3 races a year and I've seen the super speedways and the short tracks and you have to be an athlete to endure a 36 week schedule.

For the record: I don't watch NASCAR, although I'd like to go to a race (for reasons gavinj just mentioned)

But I agree here. It not only takes strength and hand-eye coordination, but also a great pit crew, and lots of planning for the race. For those of who who think it's just "driving"--you're sorely misinformed and mistaken. If a sport requires athletic ability via hand-eye coordination, than NASCAR certainly fits.

It's not just driving in a circle at high speeds--which is an overly-simplistic description of it. But it's highly technical and requires skill; like when to pit, and when to overtake and how to overtake cars one's racing against.

The pit crew and people involved on a race team also have to know their stuff re: mechanics, speed, strategy, etc.

I'm no NASCAR fan, and personally find it boring, but I don't understand why people want to cast it as something as simple as driving fast in a circle. There's definitely more to it than that. I don't know if one can call it a "sport," but there's athletic ability and hand-eye-and foot coordination involved.

For the record: I don't watch NASCAR, although I'd like to go to a race (for reasons gavinj just mentioned)

But I agree here. It not only takes strength and hand-eye coordination, but also a great pit crew, and lots of planning for the race. For those of who who think it's just "driving"--you're sorely misinformed and mistaken. If a sport requires athletic ability via hand-eye coordination, than NASCAR certainly fits.

It's not just driving in a circle at high speeds--which is an overly-simplistic description of it. But it's highly technical and requires skill; like when to pit, and when to overtake and how to overtake cars one's racing against.

The pit crew and people involved on a race team also have to know their stuff re: mechanics, speed, strategy, etc.

I'm no NASCAR fan, and personally find it boring, but I don't understand why people want to cast it as something as simple as driving fast in a circle. There's definitely more to it than that. I don't know if one can call it a "sport," but there's athletic ability and hand-eye-and foot coordination involved.

And don't forget the endurance factor. 500 miles at 200 miles an hour is no walk in the park. Without endurance, the Tour de France is just riding a bike.

Well said, and I might add, that most of the guys in NASCAR not only do whatever race is on the schedule for that weekend, but many do 2-3 races in a two to three day period. Which could include Busch Series, CART, dirt oval, etc and so on. They have to work with many crews for all their races, on different track types.

Not to mention... if you ever watch the pre race when wally does a couple laps around the track with different professional sports stars, ect. Those people are in nothing short of awe when they get done riding in that racecar. Some of the reactions are hilarious

This will be my eat-crow post on NASCAR. I've joked about it and slammed it and its fans on this board. But, in a weird twist of events I found myself at the "Dickies 500" on Sunday. I went in with extremely low expectations and actual dread. I was mad that I had to tivo the Saints game and watch it later, etc. Bad mood. Anyway, I now respect NASCAR and won't bash it again. It was a pretty amazing spectacle in person I have to admit. The speed, power is awesome. The crashes and explosions were awesome. It loses everything on TV. I know that now. The people sitting around me were total NASCAR fans, but not the stereotype "Ricky Bobby" type stuff at all. They were actually extremely smart folks who taught me many of the intricacies of the sport/event (whatever you want to call it). I got in to this race for free, but I would definitely pay to go to a NASCAR race in the future.

I was there, too!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom