I hate when people try to profit off others misfortune (1 Viewer)

What? Why would Sandy make it impossible for you to get flood insurance? The only reason people in La won't be able to afford premiums is because they're about to go through the roof if you're not in compliance with the new flood elevation requirements, but that has nothing to do with Sandy as far as I know.

Depends on what you call new. People who rebuilt in 2006 and did so at the required elevation are being screwed in outlying parishes. The Biggert - Waters act only passed because people in Congress are either stupid or incompetent. You can pick. And it's not just people outside of the city. Have a rental property? Have fun getting flood insurance on that. No more grandfathering on any properties anywhere.

But, you're right in that it has nothing to do with Hurricane Sandy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hypothetical: I'm in a disaster area, effected but not devastated, and need cash more than a concert so I buy and scalp tickets.

What does the OP think of that person?

Hypothetical: I'm in a disaster area, effected but not devastated, and need cash more than a concert so I buy and scalp tickets.

What does the OP think of that person?

If you are effected then you are potentially eligible for aid for various organizations.

For some reason after reading the title of this thread, I was expecting this to be about the Red Cross.

I think what is being done is immoral but in reality, the majority of any company's profit is off the misfortune of others to some degree.

Transmission goes out. Misfortune.
Refrigerator dies. Misfortune.
Water pipe breaks in wall. Misfortune.
Lawn mower bearings seize up. Misfortune.
Hurricane blows your shingles off. Misfortune.

While I do not like scalping especially in this case, it is what it is, evil. To counter evil, the people buying these tickets from the scalpers should instead just donate what they would have paid for the tickets. The victims get their needed support and the scalpers are left holding tickets.

Of course that would never happen on a grand scale but would be awesome.

If you are effected then you are potentially eligible for aid for various organizations.

So victims are also bad for selling?

On an aside: Truly the only way to stop it is one of my least favorite policies - ticket buyer must present ID on arrival to prove he/she purchased them direct and not via scalper

They should have given out free tickets and asked for donations at the concert, sadly you can't trust people. Ticketmaster sucks anyway, but guess people will squeeze a buck where they can.

Maybe the scalpers were people who lost their homes and wanted to get an extra buck? Just wishful thinking.

So victims are also bad for selling?

On an aside: Truly the only way to stop it is one of my least favorite policies - ticket buyer must present ID on arrival to prove he/she purchased them direct and not via scalper

I didn't go thru all the listings on Ebay and Craigslist but the ones I saw were not local. There was a person in New York charging $250 apiece. EDIT: I just looked this buyer up and his listing now says 100% of the sales price will be donated to the American Red Cross so that's a good thing. That softens it a little that he took profit from 6 and is donating profit from 2. I read postings on a local site here where a lot of people sent him messages calling him a scumbag etc.

The fact that I couldn't purchase the 16 to give away is a huge frustration for me when there a people charging 10X the face value. I wasn't going myself as I'll be at McCartney in Tulsa Wednesday night.

Free enterprise I guess. It will be fine. Money has been raised. Oh well, gonna head out and see what I can do to help someone today.

Depends on what you call new. People who rebuilt in 2006 and did so at the required elevation are being screwed in outlying parishes. The Biggert - Waters act only passed because people in Congress are either stupid or incompetent. You can pick. And it's not just people outside of the city. Have a rental property? Have fun getting flood insurance on that. No more grandfathering on any properties anywhere.

But, you're right in that it has nothing to do with Hurricane Sandy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Gotcha. Yes. The NFIP is a giant pile of excrement. It needs to be reformed. The standard flood policy needs to be changed to where it's a reasonable policy and a reasonable premium needs to be charged. It needs to cover what should be covered and the WYO carriers need to administer it properly or be fired.

Hopefully Sandy will get some attention to the problems and lead to reform.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom