I hate Zone Defense!! (1 Viewer)

Almost all good defensive coaches play a mixture of zone and man. You want the qb to think you are in zone when you are in man and man when you are in zone. It is all a matter of keeping the offense off balance.

A good example of how quarterbacks attack man defense these days is the back shoulder throw. In press man coverage the defender plays most of the play with his back to the ball. It is almost impossible to defend a well timed back shoulder throw that way.

A back shoulder throw does not work as well against a zone and might even get picked off.

Good coordinators play a game of chess with the offense. If you take the zone defense out you take away one of your best pieces. You should mix and matxh your defenses to the offenses and quarterbacks you play.

Its mostly a matter of execution and timing. A lot of interceptions are made showing man and then having guys drop back into underneath zones. Similarly going to man when they think you are in zone call allow you to bring extra pressure the qb might not be expecting.

Supposedly that is what Ryan does well with his 3-4. He disguises his coverages and moves the 4th and 5th rushers around to confuse the blocking scheme.

I like coaches who use a mixture of zone and man.

While this is all true, when do the defensive position coaches and special teams coaches get held accountable? I'm a little troubled by Payton's loyalty in the face of glaring weaknesses.

who besides Vitt is untouchable. I am not saying that there aren't any but I have not been under the impression that any of our DCs could not make a call of that nature perhaps other than firing Vitt. If I am a top notch DC coming in, then in the interview process I would say "If I am going to be ultimately responsible, I want to interview those guys and make sure they fit into what I need to do" Since Payton wants to concentrate on Offense, seems like he would find that reasonable. My point is, I think the DCs opt to keep the guys a lot of the time.

they played dick jaurons tampa 2 defense, with a lot of zone. in fact, not much different than the bears defense, minus the level of talent.

he also played a lot of man there, but the base was T2.

This is what I remember.

I also remember people not being high on Greer because he was "just a zone CB"..."Jason David 2.0", etc.

People saying zone doesn't work without pressure are being silly. Nothing works without pressure

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom