I hate Zone Defense!! (1 Viewer)

What drives me nuts is playing 5-10 yards off the receiver and no bump at the los. We can knock and bump receivers off their routes within 5 yards and disrupt their timing so why not do it. If we bumped the receivers and blitzed we would win every game.

Never liked zone defense. Its a read & react defense, which allows the receiver to catch the ball freely for the most part, the defender being a bit farther he can only tackle the receiver after a catch.

A man to man D on the other hand challenges the receiver for being in a close proximity, where he also has a chance making a play on the ball. To me that's more advantageous for the defender, than the zone, read & react defensive scheme.

the one thing I have loved since 08 about Payton is that he admits when he is wrong. He admitted that he needed to keep his hands off the D and bring in someone to free him of it and we won a Superbowl. He admitted to regrets over play calls and keeping players in at the end of the year. Remember we did not see that in Haslett or Ditka at all. It is still refreshing to me, having suffered the years with those two. Heck being bullheaded was even probably Mora's biggest downfall.

He made another mistake and he had a whole season to look at it talk to people (Im sure he and Parcels had plenty of talks) and he is trying to right it now. He has earned my respect that this is the direction we need to go even if I did not at first agree with the particular DC.

But I do know that it messes you up in drafts and that was the biggest part of the mistake. We will recover.

While this is all true, when do the defensive position coaches and special teams coaches get held accountable? I'm a little troubled by Payton's loyalty in the face of glaring weaknesses.

I'm not gonna say anything people here don't already know. If we make the right offseason moves/acqusitions, the D will rise up and make Ryan look brilliant. If we add the wrong pieces or make the wrong personnel moves, the D will suffer all over again & people will be ready to run Ryan out of town.

The bright side to me is we have guys on D that helped us win a SB in a similar system. The older/expensive ones will have to go or stay at a drastically reduced pay (Smith & Vilma). Whoever we keep, the coaches need to make the right choices.

And we need a 2006 type draft, with significant 1st year contributors. We draft wrong, we miss the playoffs again. Its that simple to me.

Every team uses a zone defense . It is just a question if how much. I don't know where this "we have man to man corners" nonsense came from but that implies that they can cover. Ours could not cover a decent college wideout in any scenario even if they had played "man to man" every play. Greer is the closest thing we have to a legitimate NFL corner and if he couldn't function in a zone he would be selling insurance right now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Every team uses a zone defense . It is just a question if how much. I don't know where this "we have man to man corners" nonsense came from but that implies that they can cover. Ours could not cover a decent college wideout in any scenario even if they had played "man to man" every play. Greer is the closest thing we have to a legitimate NFL corner and if he couldn't function in a zone he would be selling insurance right now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Greer was really bad last year.....mostly in a zone D. The question is, was he injured, or had problems with the zone D?

Greer was really bad last year.....mostly in a zone D. The question is, was he injured, or had problems with the zone D?

Thank you zone defense made Greer look bad just like it did with the bills. Some players are just better at one thing then the other. That's like if we ask drew to run the spread option like RG3. It won't look pretty, you have to play to your players skill set.

What's funny is that Greer played mostly zone in Buffalo before he came to us. I think his Groin issue was the bigger culprit.

Zone requires communication. We failed at this last year for whatever reason. I think a big part was missing Vilma. I think they were too used to Vilma telling everyone what to do.

Zone works just fine for plenty of teams. As the Bears how they like zone coverage.

What's funny is that Greer played mostly zone in Buffalo before he came to us. I think his Groin issue was the bigger culprit.

Zone requires communication. We failed at this last year for whatever reason. I think a big part was missing Vilma. I think they were too used to Vilma telling everyone what to do.

Zone works just fine for plenty of teams. As the Bears how they like zone coverage.

Are you sure because I remember them playing man.

True but unless you have that one guy that commands a double team,then the QB standing around and wait for the wideout to find the holes in the zone. How Many times have we seen drew find zones in the zone with all day in the pocket?? Without great pressure zone defense the QB has time to look at his first second and third option.

as opposed to those man coverage corners that can hold a receiver for about 3 seconds.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom