I hate Zone Defense!! (1 Viewer)

sheltonwhodat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Do any of you guys like zone defense?? To me unless you can get quick pressure, the QB will sit in the pocket and wait until the wideout comes open in the zone. Why would spags come to New Orleans, where we have all man to man corners and make them play zone? Add to the fact that we had no pass rush. Our best two years were in 09 and 10, where we played man to man with Harper in the box. We also had Jenkins/Sharper playing deep center field. I hope we get back to this defense,because we can not keep changing Defensive coaches. Look at the players GW drafted Johnny pat and pat Rob..man to man DBs. Then spags comes over and drafts Corey white a bigger zone DB. Anybody get what I'm trying to say?? We keep changing coaches and they keep drafting the players to fit the scheme and then it leaves us here with players who do not fit the scheme. Johnny pat and pat Rob looked horrible in zone. But in man to man they looked pretty good. Johnny pat first year everyone was raving about him then he plays in spags zone defense and looked different. We cannot judge all of our players based on last year because none of them fit spags scheme. That's why Sean kept saying he saw too man players not playing to there skill set.

the saints organization believed they had the right pieces, and that he would be a good fit for the team. this i think was a blunder on their part. they had to offer him a contract. it was their decision to hire him, and so had to believe he would succeed with the pieces here.

I like zone defense if you have the right players and coaches for it. A zone heavy scheme didn't work for us but it does work for a lot of teams.

It always depend on if you have the right guy, and guys, to run it. We obviously did, and do not. Its all a matter of coach and personnel.

It always depend on if you have the right guy, and guys, to run it. We obviously did, and do not. Its all a matter of coach and personnel.

Not really it only really works with 3-4 teams where they can hide where pressure coming from. Look at the 49ers in the Super Bowl without that pass rush their all pro safeties look like trash.

It all depends on the personnel, but one of the great things about zone, is that you get more eyes looking forward at the ball. So it can limit big plays and increase interceptions and fumble recoveries.

It all depends on the personnel, but one of the great things about zone, is that you get more eyes looking forward at the ball. So it can limit big plays and increase interceptions and fumble recoveries.

True but unless you have that one guy that commands a double team,then the QB standing around and wait for the wideout to find the holes in the zone. How Many times have we seen drew find zones in the zone with all day in the pocket?? Without great pressure zone defense the QB has time to look at his first second and third option.

Pressure is the key regardless. That's why pass rushers make the 2nd most money behind QBs.

If you're playing man all the QB has to do is find the most favorable matchup... and the receiver doesn't even need to be open, look at all of those backshoulder fades that QBs throw, those routes only work vs man, also slant routes, if the WR beats the db off the line, he's done. Man defense also creates more running lanes for running QBs.

Pressure is the key regardless. That's why pass rushers make the 2nd most money behind QBs.

If you're playing man all the QB has to do is find the most favorable matchup... and the receiver doesn't even need to be open, look at all of those backshoulder fades that QBs throw, those routes only work vs man, also slant routes, if the QB beats the WR off the line, he's done. Man defense also creates more running lanes for running QBs.

This is all true that's why we had so much success in 09/10. We played man and blitzed.

the one thing I have loved since 08 about Payton is that he admits when he is wrong. He admitted that he needed to keep his hands off the D and bring in someone to free him of it and we won a Superbowl. He admitted to regrets over play calls and keeping players in at the end of the year. Remember we did not see that in Haslett or Ditka at all. It is still refreshing to me, having suffered the years with those two. Heck being bullheaded was even probably Mora's biggest downfall.

He made another mistake and he had a whole season to look at it talk to people (Im sure he and Parcels had plenty of talks) and he is trying to right it now. He has earned my respect that this is the direction we need to go even if I did not at first agree with the particular DC.

But I do know that it messes you up in drafts and that was the biggest part of the mistake. We will recover.

That is what sold us on Spags' defense when he was hired. I bought into it, no doubt. But we didn't have the personnel...hope we aren't saying the same thing this time next year. :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom