I have a dumb cashier story (2 Viewers)

i once went to Taco Bell and ordered my son 2 soft tacos with lettuce and cheese

i got two soft taco shells with only lettuce and cheese in them....nothing else

i was told that since i asked for lettuce and cheese that's all i got.....shouldn't the meat be on there by default?? do i have to actually specify that i want meat??

Judging from the other responses to your order, this is more common than I thought.

I once went to a Rally's in Birmingham, and ordered a cheeseburger with extra onion, pickle, mustard and ketchup. When I got the burger, it only contained onion, pickle, mustard, ketschup. No cheese, and NO burger.

When I went back to complain, the cook told me he wondered why I didn't want the meat. He never thought to ask why I ordered a cheeseburger.

i once went to Taco Bell and ordered my son 2 soft tacos with lettuce and cheese

i got two soft taco shells with only lettuce and cheese in them....nothing else

i was told that since i asked for lettuce and cheese that's all i got.....shouldn't the meat be on there by default?? do i have to actually specify that i want meat??

At Taco Hell, I'd think that you'd be safer without the "meat"... :shrug:

It isn't an idea. Studies show that even though our IQs are increasing from generation to generation, our actual possessed knowledge is declining. In other words, our capacity for understanding IS growing, but what we know and understand is moving in the opposite direction due to dependency on things like Google or Wikipedia. It sounds silly, but the information age is fundamentally rewiring our brains not to retain information because we don't have to. You can't look it up again with the touch of a finger, so both short term memorization and long term learning become altered at their most basic points.

There's plenty of stuff out there on this. You can vomit all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that, yeah, each generation IS getting progressively dumber despite a paradoxical capacity for more knowledge.

I can see that. GPS has messed with people's sense of direction and reading a map that doesn't have the route highlighted from point to point is being forgotten. I've had a car with GPS for about 3 years now. If I go somewhere and use the GPS to guide me, there's a good chance I won't remember how to get there again. If I have actual directions and have to pay attention to street names and turns, I can get back easily. The GPS has taken away the need to learn how to get somewhere.

It isn't an idea. Studies show that even though our IQs are increasing from generation to generation, our actual possessed knowledge is declining. In other words, our capacity for understanding IS growing, but what we know and understand is moving in the opposite direction due to dependency on things like Google or Wikipedia. It sounds silly, but the information age is fundamentally rewiring our brains not to retain information because we don't have to. You can't look it up again with the touch of a finger, so both short term memorization and long term learning become altered at their most basic points.

There's plenty of stuff out there on this. You can vomit all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that, yeah, each generation IS getting progressively dumber despite a paradoxical capacity for more knowledge.

That assumes that retention of facts is the same thing as "smart" and lack of retention of facts in equivalent to "dumber." Which I don't think is the case. It's the difference between being stupid and being uneducated. You might be uneducated, meaning that you don't know a lot of facts, but you can still be smart and in fact might be smarter than someone who knows a lot of facts based on their education level.

In short, I don't think the amount of information you retain in your brain determines how smart you are. That's why IQ tests look at your reasoning skills, not the amount of knowledge you retained. Where as the SAT tests what you have retained which is likely to predict your success in an educational environment.

In short, I don't think the amount of information you retain in your brain determines how smart you are. That's why IQ tests look at your reasoning skills, not the amount of knowledge you retained. Where as the SAT tests what you have retained which is likely to predict your success in an educational environment.

But I do well on both standardized tests and IQ tests, yet I'm a terrible classroom student. I've been told I'm an able teacher and have chosen that as my eventual career field.

I have no idea how I'm going to get there from here. I hope my GPA doesn't become a deterrent, although it probably will. I wouldn't mind being a TA for a couple of years to gradually prove I can do it.

But I do well on both standardized tests and IQ tests, yet I'm a terrible classroom student. I've been told I'm an able teacher and have chosen that as my eventual career field.

I have no idea how I'm going to get there from here. I hope my GPA doesn't become a deterrent, although it probably will. I wouldn't mind being a TA for a couple of years to gradually prove I can do it.

I thought you were in outside sales. :idunno:

Anway, yeah, none of those tests are perfect predictors of anything. I'm just saying that the ability to retain more facts does not necessarily make you "smarter" than someone else. It's the ability to assimilate and use the facts that makes one person "smarter" than another.

On a side note, you might be destined for Law School. Oddly enough, the score you get on your LSAT is a much better predictor of who will do well in law school than your undergraduate GPA. But, I wouldn't wish being a lawyer on my worst enemy. Well, maybe my worst enemy.

I used to hate 2 dollar bills when I worked retail. It just represented more work for me. It was another set of bills I had to include in the deposit. And the customer had to go out of his way to acquire said bills. They're just silly.

I also worked retail in college. Once, while at the post office, I made the mistake of using a $20 bill in the stamp machine, which meant $12 or so back in Susan B. Anthony and Sacagewea dollars. The next day at work, I bought a candy bar using one of the dollars. The cashier looked at what I handed her, then looked at me, and said, "I know you're not giving me this ****."

I have a dumb cashier story -

i worked at a hardware store during high school and college. the boss went on vacation and me and the manager went sort of crazy.
i was tripping and it had just kicked in. a line formed and i was at the register at the time. the next dude up was buying some stuff and wanted to pay with credit card. at the time a credit card transaction require a good deal more work than it does today. so i started writing on the slip, but i just focused on dude's face. it was all red and round like a tomato and i could not stop laughing. and it just snowballed. i mean i couldn;t breathe i was laughing so hard.
the owners' son who was also working and was sober came up and i just looked at him and said something like "i can't do it, i can't do it - that dude has a tomato head. and just walked away.
I cannot stop laughing at this...

I thought you were in outside sales. :idunno:

Anway, yeah, none of those tests are perfect predictors of anything. I'm just saying that the ability to retain more facts does not necessarily make you "smarter" than someone else. It's the ability to assimilate and use the facts that makes one person "smarter" than another.

On a side note, you might be destined for Law School. Oddly enough, the score you get on your LSAT is a much better predictor of who will do well in law school than your undergraduate GPA. But, I wouldn't wish being a lawyer on my worst enemy. Well, maybe my worst enemy.

Yeah, I'm getting out of that. Commission-only? Pfft. For. The. Birds.

I'd never considered law school (was actually a declared Sociology pre-med major during a time in my life when I had no clue what I wanted to do) and since I'm pretty good with numbers, and MBA had been suggested too. I'll figure it all out eventually. :covri:

Heather and I were at the Renessaince Festival a couple of weeks ago and we went to get some food at one of the booths. She asked if she would get a discount because she worked at the Festival. She showed him her ID and he was like no thats the wrong color dot on the badge, that's last years. I think they went back and forth 10 times. Seriously we just picked up the badge at the gate when we walked in.

Why do some people push petty arguments so much. It was raining and cold so I was getting really aggravated, just like dude I don't give a **** about the 5% discount just shutup and make my food. He did the same thing to another employee when we went back again and that time he tried to say it wasn't her in the picture. He was not joking...

Today, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you
could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets.
I asked for a half dozen nuggets.
'We don't have half dozen nuggets,' said the teenager at the counter.
'You don't?' Ireplied.
'We only have six, nine, or twelve,' was the reply.
'So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?'
'That's right.'
So I shook my head and
ordered six McNuggets
(Unbelievable but sadly true...)

you went in to Mcd's of your own free will and placed an order and she's the dumb one?

It seems that each generation is getting progressively dumber. How many decades until we finally hit the point where we have a generation that's too stupid to breathe?

if you want to see what that future would look like there is a movie all about its called Idiocracy --

www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808

B.S.

And what the hell is wrong with Sponge Bob? That is some creative stuff.

I'll tell you what is wrong with Sponge Bob......Sponge Bob is a female contraception (diaphragm)....think about it he is a Sponge and lives in Bikini Bottom!

I haven't quite figured out what Sally the squirrel represents yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom