I have a dumb question about kayak fishing (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
A friend gave me a 10' kayak which I am in the process of getting set up for fishing. I've been kayak fishing a few times, but it was on a borrowed Hobie which had much more space where I could store all my gear along with a cooler. So my dumb question is what do you all do with your catch? I won't have room for a cooler and, doing most of my fishing in the bayou, I don't want to put them on a stringer either for a gator to decide he wants an easy meal.

A friend gave me a 10' kayak which I am in the process of getting set up for fishing. I've been kayak fishing a few times, but it was on a borrowed Hobie which had much more space where I could store all my gear along with a cooler. So my dumb question is what do you all do with your catch? I won't have room for a cooler and, doing most of my fishing in the bayou, I don't want to put them on a stringer either for a gator to decide he wants an easy meal.
if you dont want to tow a small float with cooler behind you in tow, then a wearable backpack cooler is the only option i can think of

I use one of those $10 or less soft cooler bags from Sam's or Walmart with frozen water or 2-liter bottles. As the ice melts, you also have something to drink, if needed. Usually keep it right behind my seat and it does not take up much room. They can be washed and used quite a few times before needing to replace.

I use one of those $10 or less soft cooler bags from Sam's or Walmart with frozen water or 2-liter bottles. As the ice melts, you also have something to drink, if needed. Usually keep it right behind my seat and it does not take up much room. They can be washed and used quite a few times before needing to replace.
I have an old rectangular soft cooler that I was thinking about doing that with, but I hadn't really thought about freezing the water bottles. It leaks, but that won't really matter on the kayak and I think it will fit between my seat and milk crate.

Here's a couple of pics of what I'm starting with. I've got a stadium seat that I'm going to build a PVC frame for yo make it a bit more comfortable and easier to move around. I'm also considering adding outriggers that lift in and out of the water for stability when I want to stand up.

20190910_162057.jpg
20190910_161506.jpg

Its taken me a while to get the parts together and get the time to assemble, but I've got my new seat ready. Can't wait to get it in the water and see how it works.20191004_161104.jpg
20191004_161215.jpg

That's a tough set up. I think I'd get a soft cooler bag for the front if you want something that will last a while. Otherwise I might just get a cheap insulated bag from sam's or walmart as has been mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom