I have an idea... (tip the grocery store people) (1 Viewer)

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have an idea... There has been talk about grocery store employees being Front Line people in this madness that we have going on... They are going to work and having to face crowds of people at this time when I am sure that a bunch would just want to stay home like some of us are doing. But the food and supplies have got to continue to hit the shelves...

There is talk that they should get pay raises.. Perhaps they should.. But here's my idea...

Just tip them like you would a waitress or waiter... When they ask for the money for your groceries, just let them keep the change or pitch them an extra Dollar or two.

If you pay with a Credit or Debit card.. Most stores have a button that asks "Do you want Change Back?".. Just say yes... and ask for an extra dollar or two and let them have it.

They are probably only making about $7 and hour anyway... And it's only gonna cost an extra buck or so.. But if that is multiplies by the amount of people going through the stores...

Think about it... If it ever could catch on, it really could help a bunch of folks that are not only struggling to begin with, but they are providing a very valuable service right now that many peple would not want to do at this time...

What say you SR.com?

I'm going tomorrow and going to give the cashier and bagger $20 each. thanks for the inspiring idea.

That is great... My next trip to the store I am gonna pitch a couple bucks... I am out of work right now due to this... But I think that I may call my local Morning Radio shows tomorrow...

That is great... My next trip to the store I am gonna pitch a couple bucks... I am out of work right now due to this... But I think that I may call my local Morning Radio shows tomorrow...

Awesome idea if you have some pull to get on the air, that would be amazing.

Aren't grocery stores cashless? Not sure passing cash to them is the best idea.

Thats a great idea. While it may not be possible for some of the smaller businesses/chains, large companies like walmart, target, and winndixie should be paying time and a half at the very least

I had tried this and was told "we're not allowed to accept tips". I got around it by saying "let me buy you lunch".

We are explicitly told not to give tips nor they accept tips - the companies have responded by giving hourly wage earners a raise of $2.00/hour across the board.

But I am glad that we have polymer bills which can be cleaned pretty easily with soap and water.

And apparently they can be boiled, but I'm not going that far

My wife manages a grocery store. Your heart is in the right place, but not sure tipping is gonna have the intended effect. There are probably about 100 employees in her store, most earning about $10-$13/hr. However, of those 100, only about 10 work the register. If you start tipping the 10 cashiers, the other 90 are gonna feel slighted.

Her company has given everyone a $2/hr "hazard" raise, across the board, plus weekly bonuses for their continued employment. I don't know that's a fair trade for their health risks, but it's a good start. I imagine competitors are doing something similar, or folks would be switching employers in all of this mess. FWIW...

Or we could change things so that companies pay a living wage to all employees.

We take advantage of the buy-online and bring to your vehicle option. We use Aldi and Tom Thumb for this. We tip the employee who brings the groceries and loads them into the vehicle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom