I have never been more depressed starting a season (1 Viewer)

Do we watch football to win 16 games or do we watch football to watch our team?

We aren't the Patriots, nor are we a pre-FA dynasty... I have fun with my Saints be they 7-9 or 12-4.

Lol.

Brees contract is reasonable and not a factor. The issue is the bad and expensive FA signings, the Galette contract, swuandering of draft picks and bad drafting with those left a d bad coaching hires.

All of that on top of a finesse brand of football that at least offensively runs on timing.

You are correct. I was just fuming.

Yeah, it gets pretty depressing starting a season this way, especially when it had the chance to actually be a good start. The Good: Our rookie DB's were at least contesting balls and actually deflecting a few. Drew still looks as good as he did in 09. The WR's look really good too. The O-Line didn't look too bad against the Raiders which is encouraging.

The Bad: Sean Payton's coaching and clock management and that's sad and uninspiring. The RB's and the running game. It might actually be better, but we'll never know because Sean Payton refuses to use them. The LB corps. What started out looking promising seems to have fallen completely apart with the losses of KiKaha and Elerby and the move of Stephon Anthony just isn't paying off kinda like the signing of Laurinatus. The D-Line. What began as a strong point that everyone was looking forward to, including myself, has flopped right out of the gate. Cam Jourdan looks terrible, and who is the opposite end anyway? Two players that we thought were gonna be pretty good are now on the street and we still have zero passrush and our key addition from the draft is out with a broken leg as is our best CB now. I know every team has injuries, but we've lost about 1/3 of our defense by the first damn game. Other teams don't seem to have near the amount of injuries that we have year in and year out, and we rest our players like no other team. I think that falls on our conditioning staff and trainers and should be looked into very seriously. We have moves to make and need to make them. We cut bait with Spiller and we need to do the same with Byrd. This guy is a terrible player and definitely not worth what we are paying him. If we're gonna bite the bullet with these other players we might as well do the same with the ones still on the team that aren't pulling their weight. Make trades or do what is necessary to get some decent LB's and D-Linemen on this team and get a damn pass rush going. It'll pay dividends just wait and see.

I tell you what losses like last Sunday really break my hope. IDK , I can't even get a good schadenfreude on......

Since we are all wallowing in the mud, I was more depressed in 2012. Payton was suspended. We had freakin' replacement refs for the first few games and it became evident in the opening week that we had hired as our defensive coordinator the great Spags. A man who left the Rams with his tail tucked after a 10-38 record.

Then to have a rookie, the now bag of bones RG3, literally tear us to shreds. The Redskins were up 20-7 in the first half, a lead which they never relinquished.

My whole body was numb after that game. I could almost feel that season was gonna be bad.

If you're at all intersted in an ousider's perspective, here's mine.

The Saints hae been poor evaluators of football talent (particularly their Pro Player Personnel Department) and, as a result, they waste far too much of their salary cap. It's that simple.

Add in a few injuries to their starters and they are considerably outclassed talent-wise by most organizations in the league.

The Saints hae been poor evaluators of football talent (particularly their Pro Player Personnel Department) and, as a result, they waste far too much of their salary cap. It's that simple.

Add in a few injuries to their starters and they are considerably outclassed talent-wise by most organizations in the league.

always interested in an outsiders perspective, just don't agree with this one.

it has been said multiple times on this board and somethings you just can't control. If the FO knew that galette would go all crazy after his extension they wouldn't have done it. If they knew Byrd would get injured and after that lacked heart to really play, to his the potential, they wouldn't have done it. you can find faults in all teams FO personel decisions. what about the Graham/Unger trade. Like the evaluation of pro talent there? Hindsight etc..

i think all teams suffer when 'a few' of the starters go down, especially if these starters are the teams topcorner and first round draft pick, destined for a big role.
even if the Saints are considerably outclassed talentwise by most teams, most of the losses in the last two seasons years were 1-score losses, that is not being outclassed in my book.

Do we watch football to win 16 games or do we watch football to watch our team?

We aren't the Patriots, nor are we a pre-FA dynasty... I have fun with my Saints be they 7-9 or 12-4.

I agree. And to be fair the Saints played better against the Raiders than I anticipated. We should have won that game, but 2 incredibly bad calls tipped the scale in a tight game. I am not depressed but not optimistic either. Just happy to see my beloved Saints playing their hearts out

I agree. And to be fair the Saints played better against the Raiders than I anticipated. We should have won that game, but 2 incredibly bad calls tipped the scale in a tight game. I am not depressed but not optimistic either. Just happy to see my beloved Saints playing their hearts out

Bad calls didn't lose that game for us. Our defense gave up 22 points in the fourth quarter. That's what lost it for us.

What the Seahawks fan said has an element of truth. We just do not want to hear it from an outsider. We have had a couple of horrible drafts and couple of epic fail free agent acquisitions. I hope Ireland can continue to help in personnel evaluation and acquisition, but right now we are not competitive on defense. I would like to think we are rebuilding but if we end up with the same or worse record as last year, are we building or treading water?

That 2007 beatdown by the Colts was much worse as far as start of the season losses go.

At least it took getting screwed by a phantom PI call on a ball throw out of bounds to lose this past week.

A team can survive bad FA pickups and a team can survive a few bad drafts, but you can't really survive both at the same time over the course of 9 years.

We have Drew and that gives us a chance, at this point and with this team that's all I can hope for.

One thing that annoys me is when people say we didn't do anything in the off season to remedy the situation. We did a lot. I think we had a good draft and signed a few decent, but not spectacular, free agents. The thing that keeps killing us in injuries. Every time we take one step forward we take two back. Rankins, Thomas and Bell were all excellent picks IMO. Adding Fairley, JL (not sure about this one yet) and Robertson were all pretty decent signings. And we had some good rookies from last year that were now going to be in their second year. Then BOOM, Kiki, Rankins, Lewis, Swann and now Breaux goes down. And Ellerbe can't stay healthy. When you are building a team and you don't have depth injuries hurt more than most other teams. I was really hyped in TC but once again I'm really just hoping our D keeps us close enough to have a chance in games.

Since we are all wallowing in the mud, I was more depressed in 2012. Payton was suspended. We had freakin' replacement refs for the first few games and it became evident in the opening week that we had hired as our defensive coordinator the great Spags. A man who left the Rams with his tail tucked after a 10-38 record.

Then to have a rookie, the now bag of bones RG3, literally tear us to shreds. The Redskins were up 20-7 in the first half, a lead which they never relinquished.

My whole body was numb after that game. I could almost feel that season was gonna be bad.

I'm sure I tried to talk myself out of it, as I do every season that we start off with a loss (it's just one game!!).......but I remember how frustrating that RGIII game was. To go from 9-0 in the Dome the previous season and only 1 of those games being a victory by single digits, to losing to RGIII in his rookie debut, was pretty rough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom