I have never been more depressed starting a season (1 Viewer)

champ76

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've followed the Saints for fifty years and I guess there were so many years of low expectations that the start of the season always brought with it some hope, even if it was hoping against hope. But the last ten years brought so much success, expectations became much higher. Maybe as a consequence, I'm starting this season more depressed than I think I've ever been at the start of a season. There's a lot that goes into that I suppose. I've seen more home losses the last two years than I saw the previous five. Two straight years with a winless preseason. In the last 40 games including preseason, we've lost 26. We sign quality players and still have Drew, but there is something missing. Penalties, turnovers and missed assignments highlighted this preseason, so there is no evidence anything will be different this year. Drew's time is running out. I wish they had done something this preseason to make me feel differently, but they didn't.

I'm going to need a stronger whiskey.

I know what you mean...this will be a season of ups and downs....more downs not because of lack of talent necessarily but more because of the tough schedule...too many tough defenses to face and our defense is not ready to fully support an offense that may be lacking at times themselves.

Pour me one too. I know preseason can be a mirage, but this year Payton came out of the gate talking about the importance of establishing a winning culture from jump street--explicitly stating he wanted to win in the preseason and get off to a good start.

Instead his squad turned in the most putrid preseason in my memory--which is long. We can talk game planning and scheme, but what I saw was too many guys who are going to be playing big minutes for us this year getting whipped one-on-one plain and simple. The offense never really established any rhythm and opposing QBs played a lot of pitch and catch, just like last season.

I'm hoping all this is an illusion but if it is, it's a pretty convincing one...

Sorry. I know this isn't the time to be pumping sunshine. But I felt much worse about our team after last year's preseason. We haven't gotten a ton to enjoy in these 4 games, but I like the roster better and the defense can almost literally go nowhere but up. I don't think we're winning 12 games or anything. But I think we're going to be happier with 2016 than we were with 2015 when it's all said and done. Or at least I hope we will.

I'd like to see us get better each game. But you're right, it doesn't look good at the moment.

I'm just ready for the regular season to start. The preseason was definitely not encouraging and we lost some good players to injury, but come week 1, we're 0-0 and playing at home. Admittedly, this is even close to being the most excited I have been for an NFL season, but week 1 is week 1. No matter what I will have hope that we pull it together and make a decent run at it this year.

I've followed the Saints for fifty years and I guess there were so many years of low expectations that the start of the season always brought with it some hope, even if it was hoping against hope. But the last ten years brought so much success, expectations became much higher. Maybe as a consequence, I'm starting this season more depressed than I think I've ever been at the start of a season. There's a lot that goes into that I suppose. I've seen more home losses the last two years than I saw the previous five. Two straight years with a winless preseason. In the last 40 games including preseason, we've lost 26. We sign quality players and still have Drew, but there is something missing. Penalties, turnovers and missed assignments highlighted this preseason, so there is no evidence anything will be different this year. Drew's time is running out. I wish they had done something this preseason to make me feel differently, but they didn't.

I'm going to need a stronger whiskey.

We had a 4 year taste of what it was like to be good. I've been a saints fan my entire life as a kid I would go watch Bum Phillips and George Rogers , we were bad but, were my team and I rooted for them no matter what. As a Saints fan I hadn't experienced winning.

The Super Bowl changes all that , the disappointment comes, for me at least , from the fact that after the 2011 season we had a chance to build something and remain good as long as Brees was around. But, sadly we just didn't have the Front office management to do it.

That's the tough part. We could have kept our picks or stacked picks to re load and we went opposite and we went from a top 3 or 4 team in the NFL to the depths of mediocrity.

We will still be good enough to win 7 or 8 games maybe. But , after you've won and won big that just isn't good enough.

I understand. I feel it too, but I'm trying to be optimistic. The offensive line is very problematic and until that's fixed...or at least patched up...I just don't feel confident. I think the defense is headed in the right direction but there will be growing pains and we don't have a lot of quality depth.

We just seem sluggish on both sides of the ball. A little sloppy. I do think, with such a young team, that one good win could get the ball rolling. Build some confidence. We definitely need a shot in the arm.

The depressing thing is if you are looking at just basic football, we are pretty awful and get beat like a drum at key positions. Not sure what kind of coaching/scheming is going to make a meaningful difference. No margin for error or injury with first string given poor depth.

Too many mistakes, poor tackling...not too different from recent years.

In the context of the past couple of seasons hard to see this just fixing itself overnight.

We will be fine. Save the good liquor for when we stomp Oakland next Sunday.

Pour me one too. I mean how could this happen? How did it come to.... this, what I see ?

Every time we chose to not take care of the offensive line. Not keeping the critical piece of the team in tact. In widdled away little by little. A small hit here, another there. The o line got worse. And now it is shameful.

You can talk about the defense all you want. We just don't have the right defensive philosophy, coaching and culture.

But it's the offense that matters most. And we let the most important piece of the offense fall apart.

Just keep-em coming until they either look better or I stop caring.

cat-humor-pour-me-another-555x445.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom