I have never been this upset with a coach (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong because I like Payton, I love what he has done.

Now that I have got that out of the way........

A blueprint was made to beat the Colts. It doesn't take great players, it doesn't take great defense and it doesn't take great offense. What it does take is patience, will and determination. We lacked all three tonight.

The teams that beat the Colts last year were the Texans, Cowboys, Jags and Titans. Only one of these teams made the playoffs and we killed them.

The way to beat the Colts is to run the ball right between the tackles. There is no other way unless you have a dominant defense and even those have not beat the Colts recently. You have to keep Manning on the sideline, it keeps him out of rythym, keeps the pass rush fresh and gives the defense a chance. Running the ball gets more effective each time you do it. The Colts defense is undersized and when they get tired they lose the advantage of speed. Our offensive line gets to take over and they are forced to come out of the cover 2 to stop it. When they do this then you can pass the ball and take shots deep but until then we are trying to throw into 8 man coverages with a ton of speed.

Every year we circle the shoot out game with the Colts to watch on TV. Every year the Bengals, Chiefs, Vikings and other high powered offenses get run over by Manning and once they get up these teams try to pass more and the ends get to just fly into the backfield and force more mistakes.

You can't get down big to the Colts and if ou do you can't give up on the run.

Payton gets on the podium after the NFCCG and admits and regrets he didn't run Deuce enough and run him more. Deuce only got 6 carries against the Bears and now Deuce might get 10 against the Colts. I like the West Coast offense but when teams dare you to run you have to accept the dare sometimes.

Freeney and Mathis combined weigh about as much as Shanle and Fujita. They have no DT's and they don't play 8 in the box. Could you imagine if Shanle and Fujita were our ends and Grant and Smith were our DT's? That is what you have with the Colts.

I'm sick right now and this is a rant but until Payton can learn from his mistakes then nothing will change. We will roll over bad teams and when it comes to a team that you have to run the ball to beat we will fall short......way short.

Crucify me if you want.

I'm pretty sick right now too. That much I'm sure of. I'm sure we all are.

Like I said in th chat, a) I didn't think we'd beat ourselves again like we did at the end of last year and b) I didn't think this would be such a defensive game (namely on the Colts' part).

I wanted to read that whole thing but im just too Sick to read or watch anything right now.
I knew we'd get beat but this bad?

Don't get me wrong because I like Payton, I love what he has done.

Now that I have got that out of the way........

A blueprint was made to beat the Colts. It doesn't take great players, it doesn't take great defense and it doesn't take great offense. What it does take is patience, will and determination. We lacked all three tonight.

The teams that beat the Colts last year were the Texans, Cowboys, Jags and Titans. Only one of these teams made the playoffs and we killed them.

The way to beat the Colts is to run the ball right between the tackles. There is no other way unless you have a dominant defense and even those have not beat the Colts recently. You have to keep Manning on the sideline, it keeps him out of rythym, keeps the pass rush fresh and gives the defense a chance. Running the ball gets more effective each time you do it. The Colts defense is undersized and when they get tired they lose the advantage of speed. Our offensive line gets to take over and they are forced to come out of the cover 2 to stop it. When they do this then you can pass the ball and take shots deep but until then we are trying to throw into 8 man coverages with a ton of speed.

Every year we circle the shoot out game with the Colts to watch on TV. Every year the Bengals, Chiefs, Vikings and other high powered offenses get run over by Manning and once they get up these teams try to pass more and the ends get to just fly into the backfield and force more mistakes.

You can't get down big to the Colts and if ou do you can't give up on the run.

Payton gets on the podium after the NFCCG and admits and regrets he didn't run Deuce enough and run him more. Deuce only got 6 carries against the Bears and now Deuce might get 10 against the Colts. I like the West Coast offense but when teams dare you to run you have to accept the dare sometimes.

Freeney and Mathis combined weigh about as much as Shanle and Fujita. They have no DT's and they don't play 8 in the box. Could you imagine if Shanle and Fujita were our ends and Grant and Smith were our DT's? That is what you have with the Colts.

I'm sick right now and this is a rant but until Payton can learn from his mistakes then nothing will change. We will roll over bad teams and when it comes to a team that you have to run the ball to beat we will fall short......way short.

Crucify me if you want.

I think down the line this will be an issue with Payton unless he digests the lesson. This was always the knock on him.

He gets too cute, gets away from the run, out thinks himself. "Gets the virus" as Parcells said. This is what happened in the Chicago game.

I kind of agree with you, but from what I see I'm not sure we have the O-line to run. They were getting fairly abused tonite and making mistakes. The finesse label is looking almost like it fits.

This makes two games in a row where the offense looked like it was "taking what the defense was giving us" and the results have not been pretty. We need to attack. That 1st drive we where doing all kinds of different things after that everything was underneath and taking what the Colts let us have. What a crappy game at least I have Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne in my FF league.

I think the problem is even simpler. Drew Brees's vision was affected after he lost his contact lens. The lenses are fine- it's the irritation that does it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this also happen in Chicago?

I think the problem is even simpler. Drew Brees's vision was affected after he lost his contact lens. The lenses are fine- it's the irritation that does it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this also happen in Chicago?

Lets take up a collection to get Drew some Lasik then.

In a side note I will now go poor Clorox into MY eyes to wash away everything that I have just witnessed.

I would have liked to have seen a deep pass in the first half ...at leat test the Colt's DBs. By the time we even tryed it it was too late. This teams strength is offense...we need to score points...we know we won't win on defense.

The OP was TOTALLY on target here...I'm throwing fits b/c they won't run Deuce anymore than they do....between that, not going for it on fourth down, and allowing Jason David to stay in the game this game was very poorly coached

This game is a head scratcher. As good as Payton was in having his team prepared last year to coming out completely UNprepared tonight. The team was frustrated early and they lost their patience which is also uncharacteristic.

Where was the recognition of what the Colts defense was giving the saints offense? The saints could have run the ball all night long and controlled the TOP clock but I think arrogance got in the way of playing "boring" offense.

My only hope is that what we saw tonight was the affects of training camp and these guys just need to get their legs back.

Crucify me if you want.

Your thoughts make sense to me. Like you, Rob, and others -- I expected a lot of Deuce up the middle tonight.

The OP was TOTALLY on target here...I'm throwing fits b/c they won't run Deuce anymore than they do....between that, not going for it on fourth down, and allowing Jason David to stay in the game this game was very poorly coached

I didn't understand why the had Bush running the out of single back sets. The Colt's just keyed in on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom