I have never been this upset with a coach (1 Viewer)

Were we wearing cement shoes?

Wow!!!! Is it just me or did everyone wearing a Saints jersey seem like they were wearing cement blocks for shoes? Did our O-line even make the trip to Indy? And did Fred Thomas secretly bind and gag Jason David and steal his jersey? An inquiring mind wants to know!!:rant:

Regarding the thread title...

Clemms, come on now. You can't say you're madder at Payton than you've ever been at a Saints coach. C'mon. Mora? Ditka? Haslett?
you're as god a poster as anyone here, come on now :)

Don't get me wrong because I like Payton, I love what he has done.

Now that I have got that out of the way........

A blueprint was made to beat the Colts. It doesn't take great players, it doesn't take great defense and it doesn't take great offense. What it does take is patience, will and determination. We lacked all three tonight.

The teams that beat the Colts last year were the Texans, Cowboys, Jags and Titans. Only one of these teams made the playoffs and we killed them.

The way to beat the Colts is to run the ball right between the tackles. There is no other way unless you have a dominant defense and even those have not beat the Colts recently. You have to keep Manning on the sideline, it keeps him out of rythym, keeps the pass rush fresh and gives the defense a chance. Running the ball gets more effective each time you do it. The Colts defense is undersized and when they get tired they lose the advantage of speed. Our offensive line gets to take over and they are forced to come out of the cover 2 to stop it. When they do this then you can pass the ball and take shots deep but until then we are trying to throw into 8 man coverages with a ton of speed.

Every year we circle the shoot out game with the Colts to watch on TV. Every year the Bengals, Chiefs, Vikings and other high powered offenses get run over by Manning and once they get up these teams try to pass more and the ends get to just fly into the backfield and force more mistakes.

You can't get down big to the Colts and if ou do you can't give up on the run.

Payton gets on the podium after the NFCCG and admits and regrets he didn't run Deuce enough and run him more. Deuce only got 6 carries against the Bears and now Deuce might get 10 against the Colts. I like the West Coast offense but when teams dare you to run you have to accept the dare sometimes.

Freeney and Mathis combined weigh about as much as Shanle and Fujita. They have no DT's and they don't play 8 in the box. Could you imagine if Shanle and Fujita were our ends and Grant and Smith were our DT's? That is what you have with the Colts.

I'm sick right now and this is a rant but until Payton can learn from his mistakes then nothing will change. We will roll over bad teams and when it comes to a team that you have to run the ball to beat we will fall short......way short.

Crucify me if you want.

I am with you 110%. Couldn't have said this any better myself. What a way to start off our season. I have to be honest. I did not think we could pull this game out but I only wished that we would not stink up the place and that's exactly what we did. I know this is only game 1 of a very long season but the odds are against us if we don't know how to utilize one of the highest paid backfields of the NFL.

We ran the same plays with Reggie that we did last year. Did we not think they would wath tape?

Man I am pretty upset with the way Payton called that game. I did a little research on the net just now to look up the Tampa 2 defense that Dungy runs. He has the personnel in place to run that defense to a T. There is some thing else that I found out. The Tampa 2 is specifically designed to stop the West Coast Offense. Two weaknesses that the Tampa 2 has is a power running game and play action. Neither of which we did much of tonight. Sean Payton looked like his head was spinning. To much outside running and not enough straight up the gut (a weakness of the Tampa 2 if you have a power running back like Deuce). I don't think it had anything to do with the players except for David. He didn't look comfortable out there at all being he was by his lonesome to cover someone. We had the tools to beat them Payton just didn't use them the right way. West Coast against the Tampa 2 is bad news. As for our defense we still need help in the secondary and ....well hell we looked like we needed help in every area tonight especially the secondary. If we want to win a championship we need to build a better defense plain and simple.

we just flat out go Outcoached (just like in Chicago)

we got beat up front on both sides of the ball
Reggie Bush was almost a non factor what so ever
jason David was burned toast for most of the night

This hurts but I keep having to remind myself that this is only the first game but I will say next week I would be very dissapointed with anything but A WIN!........

Man I am pretty upset with the way Payton called that game. I did a little research on the net just now to look up the Tampa 2 defense that Dungy runs. He has the personnel in place to run that defense to a T. There is some thing else that I found out. The Tampa 2 is specifically designed to stop the West Coast Offense. Two weaknesses that the Tampa 2 has is a power running game and play action. Neither of which we did much of tonight. Sean Payton looked like his head was spinning. To much outside running and not enough straight up the gut (a weakness of the Tampa 2 if you have a power running back like Deuce). I don't think it had anything to do with the players except for David. He didn't look comfortable out there at all being he was by his lonesome to cover someone. We had the tools to beat them Payton just didn't use them the right way. West Coast against the Tampa 2 is bad news. As for our defense we still need help in the secondary and ....well hell we looked like we needed help in every area tonight especially the secondary. If we want to win a championship we need to build a better defense plain and simple.

By far and away the best post of the night! Cheers buddy ya hit the nail dead on! On to Tampa guys,.......

I was screaming for more duece as well, I'd have like to see it established, but in truth, we didn't get that many opportunities. I think we came out in the 3rd with that in mind: two deuce plays, the the 3rd down hurry up short pass got knocked down. Their defense just plain out hustled our offense. They flew to the ball and made great tackles. Our offensive line got really pushed around in the second half.

I think on D we just picked the wrong poison. If we played the safeties back, they ran and had the middle open (i.e. the play where The Shanle was guarding Dallas Clark...I mean, come on that's no contest). Then when we adjusted (because we were behind and took chances), David was left on an island. I'd take Peyton throwing to Reggie Wayne in man coverage against any DB, much less an undersized one who hasn't played that much man.

It was match-up nightmare, and our offense didn't keep the ball long enough for us to stay lucky in the secondary (which we kind of did in the 1st half)....

When the OL & DL collectively get their tails whipped all game long, I have a difficult time blaming the loss solely on the play calling. Indy took it to us and kicked butt.

I was at the game and I think this is exactly the issue. We got whipped by a better team.

Their lines beat us on both sides of the ball. And they were quicker.

Dead on. Haslett had his faults, but he knew how to beat the Tampa 2 -- power running with Duece and then play-action.

It wasn't just play calling, because we got beat all over the field, had crucial drops (Reggie twice), bad passes, stupid penalties.. It was a bad night for the team. I guess they aren't ready for the big stage just yet.

David, as either Madden or Michaels pointed out, was looking back at the QB, reverting to his old form, rather than playing straight man as he should have been. His problem tonight might be down to bad technique and that's all, so I'm not going to throw him under the bus after one game. Hope he gets that turned around soon.

Remember we started slow last season too, but we had the luck of the draw as far as opposition goes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom