I have to give an Informative speech... any suggestions??

Thread starter #1
Ratings
It has to be 5-6 minutes. I was thinking about the new AAFL league, but I'm not sure if that would be a good topic.

Admin #3

SharonT

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Pick something you would talk about in a normal conversation with a friend - something you already know a lot about and like to talk about. It sounds like simple advice, but it works! Good luck!

Thread starter #4
OP
OP
Ratings
Does anyone know if the AAFL was intended to be a developer league for the NFL. WAs the NFL Europe intended for that same purpose does anyone know? I barely got into NFL Europe, but this new league seems cool.

Banned #7

RSF

Very Banned
Ratings
Pick something you would talk about in a normal conversation with a friend - something you already know a lot about and like to talk about. It sounds like simple advice, but it works! Good luck!
That settles it. Hookers and weed it is!

SaintMeaux

No Pity
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Talk about your favorite 9-11 conspiracy theory.

Or maybe memorize one of Ron Paul's answers to a debate question. Those take up about 5-6 minutes. (if they actually let him answer!)

Last edited:

AndyG

For Yorkshire man
VIP Contributor
Ratings
Summarizing Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason" is always a good stand-by
Or 'A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu'.

Once in a swimming costume and once in evening dress, naturally.

More seriously - what's the context? If it's (say) a job interview and they're looking at presentation skills, then the 'how' is more important than the 'what', and you could go with a very simple subject indeed. If the aim really is to inform/entertain then go with something you know pretty well, that's not generally very well known or understood.

My 'ready list' for things like this include 'how divers get the bends' (5 minutes), 'a brief introduction to the game of go' (10-15 minutes), and (over this side of the pond) an idiot's guide to American Football.

They all have the same merits:
1. I 'know the material' - so I don't have to spend time finding out, and I'll sound confident
2. The audience, by and large, won't know it; they'll be learning, not debating with me
2. The material has a clear, natural structure - very important.
3. The content can be expanded or reduced by a factor of 2 very easily if required - so they'll run to specified time even if the specs change a bit
4. They have rich potential for visual aids - very important in making information stick

Ratings
If it is suspose to be a 5-6 minute speech, DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT leave early.... Not even with 1 second left to spare, cause you'll never hear the end of it..... Oh yeah, and Never let em see you sweat.....

Top Bottom