I hesitate to post this, but... (1 Viewer)

that's really wierd. I have never heard of that before.

...how did you find that?......

Search. "gay animals"

This brings up the age old question. If your walking in the woods and run into a bear would you rather him be a gay bear?

Is that really one of the main arguements? Homosexual behaviour is pretty much all over nature, especially our relatives, primates.

(Ok, I see you got an article about Bonobo chimps on there.)

Finally, an appropriate place to post,

gay-thread.jpg

Seriously, homosexuality happens in nature, and I don't see why people get so wound up about it.

This exhibit still misses the boat a bit for me and my understanding of how people define homosexuality in animals. Are these animals they show exclusively attracted to the same sex or are they just getting their jolly's? That to me is the difference between human homosexuality which includes feelings of love, commitment and long term attraction beyond merely the physical and animals.

Put it this way, is it possible that homosexuality in animals is merely glorified masturbation? Clearly in humans it's not as human homosexuals share more than sex with each other but is it the same way for animals? Because if it's just glorified masturbation that to me just means the animal in question has a high libido and can't wait for an animal of the opposite sex to show up or maybe there aren't any around.

Take this from the article for instance:

Considered the closest living relative to humans, bonobos are not shy about seeking sexual pleasure. Nearly all of these peace-loving apes are bisexual and often resolve conflict by the “make love, not war” principle. They copulate frequently, scream out in delight while doing so, and often engage in homosexual activities. About two thirds of the homosexual activities are amongst females.
That to me says they just like to get their jollys whenever and however possible and they really don't care who or what with.

I think SBTB is on to something there. I had a female dog who would hump anything or anybody who would stay still long enough. Had a male dog that would try to hump your arm given opportunity. Does that make my dogs gay, or more like Andy Dick? And I know they can't find Andy Dick in nature.
andydick_peterkramer.jpg

This exhibit still misses the boat a bit for me and my understanding of how people define homosexuality in animals. Are these animals the show exclusively attracted to the same sex or are they just getting their jolly's? That to me is the difference between human homosexuality which includes feeling of love, commitment and long term attraction beyond merely the physical and animals.

Put it this way, is it possible that homosexuality in animals is merely glorified masturbation? Clearly in humans it's not as human homosexuals share more than sex with each others but is it the same way for animals? Because if it's just glorified masturbation that to me just means the animal in question has a high libido and can't wait for a female animal to show up or maybe there aren't any around.

Both. There are some animal species which have members who exhibit exclusively "gay" behaviour (if I remember correctly, it's more prevelant in birds then anyone else. Penguins are the best known because many zoos have homosexual Penguin pairs). But most species probably just engage in "homosexual type" behaviour occasionally.

I don't know of any "exclusively gay" primates, even though virtually every single Great Ape species has been known to engage in homosexual behavior on occasion (chimps use it as a stress-relief mechanism to keep them from killing each other at times. It's a nessecary part of their social structure and hierarchy).

In that way, especially amongest mammals, "homosexuality" seems more tied to hierarchy then actual "gay feelings", to the point that the Omega in any mammal hierarchy is the "gayest" of the bunch, servicing all of the males above him and getting little female action himself.

But really, we're kind of off point. If the arguement against "homosexuality" is that "it's unnatural!" they're wrong. Animals do whatever feels good or natural to them at a given moment. Applied to people, if you're a guy and sleeping with another guy makes you "feel good", you know, whatever. That's natural. The only way it's unnatural is that it doesn't procreate and....uh.....well most people (and animals) do a number of things which are sexual in nature and don't have much of a chance in producing off-spring.

I don't see how the arguement has any legs.

PS - There's some really interesting thinking on how having gay members of a species can produce a positive effect which keeps the "gay genes" from getting selected out. If anyone's interested in hearing them I can dig out my old books.

Sidenote: we need to keep Andy Dick away from teh bonobos.

In that way, especially amongest mammals, "homosexuality" seems more tied to hierarchy then actual "gay feelings", to the point that the Omega in any mammal hierarchy is the "gayest" of the bunch, servicing all of the males above him and getting little female action himself.

Sounds like prison.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom