I hesitate to post this, but... (1 Viewer)

Sounds like prison.

Exactly. I can tell you that my wife's toy poodle is an odd and old little female dog. She gets after everything in sight to let it/them know that she is in charge. It's a matter of domination.

Taking into account the human person factor, I think the argument is comparing apples and oranges....uh...or humans and animals.

I think SBTB is on to something there. I had a female dog who would hump anything or anybody who would stay still long enough. Had a male dog that would try to hump your arm given opportunity.

Was the birch spayed? It's not uncommon for female dogs that have had their female parts removed to have hormonal imbalances

As far as animal homosexuality / masturbation, my dad has a ranch, and he's had a couple bulls that would only attempt to mount other bulls. He's also had a couple that would only hump a a wooden pole.

Was the birch spayed? It's not uncommon for female dogs that have had their female parts removed to have hormonal imbalances

As far as animal homosexuality / masturbation, my dad has a ranch, and he's had a couple bulls that would only attempt to mount other bulls. He's also had a couple that would only hump a a wooden pole.

No, just incredibly horny.

the bottom line is they are animals, to compare them to humans is like comparing cucumbers to carrots.

Humans are animals. Very smart animals (at least sometimes), but they are animals nonetheless.

If you disagree, please explain how humans are not animals.

the bottom line is they are animals, to compare them to humans is like comparing cucumbers to carrots.

As previously stated, we are animals also. It's a valid comparison to debunk the arguments that homosexuality is somehow unnatural.

I'd be very wary of any research into the field of homosexuality. It is so politically charged that any study that falls outside the "normal variant" line of thinking is buried. There has not been a non-biased study in years, if not decades.

Humans are animals. Very smart animals (at least sometimes), but they are animals nonetheless.

If you disagree, please explain how humans are not animals.

And carrots and cucumbers are vegetables :ezbill: I don't know if he was making a joke or being serious, but on purpose or inadvertently he made a good comparison. Humans and (I guess I should say) "other" animals are like cucumbers and carrots. Or cucumbers and okra. Or in the case of great apes, like comparing cucumbers and muskmelons.

I'd be very wary of any research into the field of homosexuality. It is so politically charged that any study that falls outside the "normal variant" line of thinking is buried. There has not been a non-biased study in years, if not decades.

This isn't a case of any "study" whatsoever. When you see two male penguins engage in courtship behaviour, build a nest together, even go so far as to care for stones as if they are eggs (and in the case of one experiment, they replaced a stone with an egg which the two penguins then raised as their own), you don't need any special training to go "huh, I think them penguins might be gay". It turns out animals are rather flamboyant about their sexuality. They seem to lack shame.

So no, politics don't enter into this equation. There are "gay" animals, a some devoutedly so, others just casually.

This exhibit still misses the boat a bit for me and my understanding of how people define homosexuality in animals. Are these animals they show exclusively attracted to the same sex or are they just getting their jolly's? That to me is the difference between human homosexuality which includes feelings of love, commitment and long term attraction beyond merely the physical and animals.

I thought it might be getting at that too, but I think some quotes from the first article would tend to contradict that. Take this, for example.

In some bird species that bond for life, homosexual pairs raise young. If they are females, a male may fertilize their eggs. If they are males, a solitary female may mate with them and deposit her eggs in their nest.

Almost a quarter of black swan families are parented by homosexual couples. Male couples sometimes mate with a female just to have a baby. Once she lays the egg, they chase her away, hatch the egg, and raise a family on their own.

So I would say, no, they are not just doing it because they want to hump something. Obviously animals do not have all the emotions of love and affection that we have in the first place, so I think it is a bit much to expect "gay" animals to exhibit love and affection. Rather, the article argues that:

1) Some animals have sex just for pleasure at times, regardless of the gender of the other animal. This contradicts the frequently-used argument that sex is "designed" (either evolutionarily or by God) for reproduction and does not fulfill any other legitimate purpose.

2) Some species that practice monogamous pairing have same-sex pairs that even raise young together. I think this is an interesting point to raise to people who believe that it is not "natural" for gay couples to raise kids, since they can't produce them on their own.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom