I hope Coach Payton has learned to ride the hot hand (1 Viewer)

The one thing about SP is that he can get cute. When it works he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, people complain.
Yeah, this is what I'm worried about since every team is more or less a complete mystery. I guess it keeps it fun, though.

The one thing about SP is that he can get cute. When it works he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, people complain.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are few "wasted" plays in a SP offense. SP is always playing the long game. He's putting things on tape in week 2 so that he can work off those plays in week 13.

Not to suggest that he's perfect as a play caller. He's cost us a few games by not being able to run the ball when it matters. He's improved in that area a great deal over the years though.
I don't think CSP has as many "cutsie" plays as he used to. I remember times when he would run a double reverse and we would lose like 10 yards on the play. I do agree that at times last year, he should have rode Murray. Once Kamara went down, Murray got more confidence and he was running hard. When Kamara came back, Murray would break a big run and then back to the sidelines. If there is one complaint about CSP's playcalling, it's that he doesn't stick with the hot hand. Hopefully he learned that during this down time.

Murray is a beast for sure but the touch limitations are just so severe. You wanna put the ball in Drews hands as much as possible for quick gains. Then Kamara gotta get his touches, Thomas his targets, sprinkle in some Jared Cook, add a little Sanders and maybe even top it all off with some Montgomery. I just fail to see where theres a scenario Murray can carry the ball 10 times a game.

One thing I have appreciated greatly about Payton, especially after living through the Mora days, is he isn’t hard headed. I’m sure he looked at all of that this off season and will take the heat for his part. Have faith in the way this man calls offense.

I suspect SP does not strongly support the Hot Man theory. I suspect it is more important to implement his game plan in full when possible regardless of which RB has a hot hand.

That's not entirely accurate.

In three of the four losses last season Payton's stubborn refusal to run the ball or go with the hot hand cost the Saints those three games.

Against the Niners Murray was averaging an almost 10 yards a carry on only 6 carries................so what does Payton do..............force fed an injured Alvin Kamara who had 51 yards on 17 carries.

Against the Falcons and Vikings the Saints ran the ball 27 times.........................Vikings and Falcons had 74 rush attempts. When the Saints received the second half kickoff against the Vikings and quickly went 3 and out on 3 straight pass attempts I knew the Saints were in trouble!!

You can blame the defense all you want but Payton's offensive tunnel vision sometimes puts the defense behind the eightball!!

Spot-on^. So many of us Who Dats are enamored by Payton's offenses that I guess many of us see the defense through dark-colored glasses. I've rewatched our 3 playoff losses multiple times and the offense, except in spurts often in the 4th quarter played pretty poorly. The defense made huge stop after huge stop to give the offense a chance to win the games.

Edit: To win another a SB, we need the offense to play better in beginning of playoff games and down the stretch in close playoff games. Our defense is plenty good enough to win another SB. But being an original Who Dat from Game 1 of 1st season, I am pretty happy with 13-3, 11-5 and 13-3

Last edited:
Just watching the re play of the Vikings wildcard game, where the winner advances ...

You could see Latavius on the sideline pacing back and forth, itching for a chance to pound the rock and stick it to his former team. Unfortunately he just wasn't fed enough in the most important game on earth.

Maybe this season the L Train will be utilized more to pound it out and wear out defenses late. You know those DB's do NOT want to see a guy of his size and power coming at em in the 4th quarter. That Bears game of 2019 was a good illustration.

Break their will.

That was pretty much the issue Ingram had while here w/ CSP. MI had to show him that RBs built like him need multiple carries to get into a rhythm ( remember 49er game in'16?). Still, CSP like to stick to his ways & so -like some have said- I don't expect it to change all of a sudden.

In fairness to Payton, one of the reasons Mark still produces at a high level (his workout regime, aside)is because he doesn’t have the worn tread on him like many other RB’s from his draft class. I get why MI hated the RB by committee early on, but it really extended his career.

I do agree, though, that Payton should’ve definitely leaned on Latvius more last season. Especially since he knew Alvin was at 70%. Hopefully he finds the magic balance this season and we ride it all the way to another Lombardi.

In fairness to Payton, one of the reasons Mark still produces at a high level (his workout regime, aside)is because he doesn’t have the worn tread on him like many other RB’s from his draft class. I get why MI hated the RB by committee early on, but it really extended his career.

I totally understand the longevity for RBs part, absolutely. But I'm pretty sure MI would had rather kept pounding the rock vs the 9ers in '16 to get the win than sit on the sidelines holding a grudge towards CSP.

Murray is a beast for sure but the touch limitations are just so severe. You wanna put the ball in Drews hands as much as possible for quick gains. Then Kamara gotta get his touches, Thomas his targets, sprinkle in some Jared Cook, add a little Sanders and maybe even top it all off with some Montgomery. I just fail to see where theres a scenario Murray can carry the ball 10 times a game.

Go Back to the Future...

Saints ran the ball with regularity in 2009 and, surprise, surprise, Won a Super Bowl.

Hope you run the ball CSP

Saints ran the ball for 112 yds on 31 carries, and 109 yds on 28 carries in their 2 victories over the Sucs last year!

You can convince yourself if you like but that fact of the matter is CSP believes his the smartest man in the room
The problem with your statement is that he probably usually is the smartest guy in the room when it comes to offensive playcalling. And let's not forget the latitude he gives Brees to change plays at the line of scrimmage based on what he sees from the D. Lots of calls that may have been Murray off tackle could have turned into one of CGM's 149 receptions that have a possibility for an even greater gain. Might not always work out, but none of us actually know who calls the final play before the ball is snapped.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom