I hope Coach Payton has learned to ride the hot hand (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Particularly in the run game. I love Alvin Kamara but if Latavius Murray comes into the game and rips off a 9 yard run, He NEEDS to carry the ball more. Don't immediately take him out of the game and disrupt his rhythm. Coach Payton, don't outcoach yourself and let the defense off the hook!!!! If Taysom Hill is destroying the defense with his RPO runs then Drew Brees needs to take a backseat and watch Taysom work. It's all about winning a championship not flooding the stat sheet!!!!

Particularly in the run game. I love Alvin Kamara but if Latavius Murray comes into the game and rips off a 9 yard run, He NEEDS to carry the ball more. Don't immediately take him out of the game and disrupt his rhythm...
That was pretty much the issue Ingram had while here w/ CSP. MI had to show him that RBs built like him need multiple carries to get into a rhythm ( remember 49er game in'16?). Still, CSP like to stick to his ways & so -like some have said- I don't expect it to change all of a sudden.

The one thing about SP is that he can get cute. When it works he looks like a genius. When it doesn't, people complain.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are few "wasted" plays in a SP offense. SP is always playing the long game. He's putting things on tape in week 2 so that he can work off those plays in week 13.

Not to suggest that he's perfect as a play caller. He's cost us a few games by not being able to run the ball when it matters. He's improved in that area a great deal over the years though.

When Murray has a great series, maybe Payton uses that for misdirection. I mean, any other coach would make the defense stop the run.

Naaaah... can't use someone on the bench for misdirection.

C'mon now... You're asking for the impossible. I'm convinced he sees something altogether different from the sidelines than what we see on TV.

C'mon now... You're asking for the impossible. I'm convinced he sees something altogether different from the sidelines than what we see on TV.
You can convince yourself if you like but that fact of the matter is CSP believes his the smartest man in the room. Not to mention DB checks out of the play(that everyone in the building knows should be called..ie..run) to pad his stats to keep up with TB12

This, we rarely lose games due to play calling on offense. It's usually defense or refs messing things up.

That's not entirely accurate.

In three of the four losses last season Payton's stubborn refusal to run the ball or go with the hot hand cost the Saints those three games.

Against the Niners Murray was averaging an almost 10 yards a carry on only 6 carries................so what does Payton do..............force fed an injured Alvin Kamara who had 51 yards on 17 carries.

Against the Falcons and Vikings the Saints ran the ball 27 times.........................Vikings and Falcons had 74 rush attempts. When the Saints received the second half kickoff against the Vikings and quickly went 3 and out on 3 straight pass attempts I knew the Saints were in trouble!!

You can blame the defense all you want but Payton's offensive tunnel vision sometimes puts the defense behind the eightball!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom