I hope the NFL never adopts the 4th & 12 to replace onside kicks. (1 Viewer)

If the NFL wants to adopt anything it needs to be the Review Booth that the USFL uses. I made a post about it already but those guys review every play and actually overturn bad calls made by the Ref’s. It’s a beautiful thing to watch a game being officiated properly and fairly.

They took the 2 point conversion and the challenge flag.
It wouldn’t be the first thing the NFL took from the USFL.

If the NFL wants to adopt anything it needs to be the Review Booth that the USFL uses. I made a post about it already but those guys review every play and actually overturn bad calls made by the Ref’s. It’s a beautiful thing to watch a game being officiated properly and fairly.
That would be so awesome if the NFL did that but that would require common sense that they do not have at all! It’s amazing what a little common sense can do!

I think it needs to be harder. Maybe a 4th and 20. But it’s the play that should replace the kickoff. That’s how the game starts, that’s how they line up after scores and to start the 2nd half. Teams can run it anyway they want. Punt, lineup to attempt to convert, etc. NFL kick offs stink and on sides kicks aren’t much better. This new wrinkle would be a welcome addition to put some life back in the “kick off” plays.

I think it needs to be harder. Maybe a 4th and 20. But it’s the play that should replace the kickoff. That’s how the game starts, that’s how they line up after scores and to start the 2nd half. Teams can run it anyway they want. Punt, lineup to attempt to convert, etc. NFL kick offs stink and on sides kicks aren’t much better. This new wrinkle would be a welcome addition to put some life back in the “kick off” plays.
To me, the kickoff is viewed more ceremonially than as a factor in the game - but to me it’s ingratiated into to lore of the game.

Kick off!

That’s when the game starts. That’s when it’s real.

I think that’s how the NFL wants it. They know that the term “kickoff” is more important than the act itself.

There are other things to consider as well that make the kickoff special. Despite the rules limiting blocking schemes and rocket-legged kickers who can boot it into the stands - there is still some things that can happen to impact the game.

Kick out of bounds and your opponent has it at the 40. We’ve all seen that happen - heck, one of Brady’s rings can be partially attributed to a Jon Kasay kick out of bounds.

But I also like what some of the coaches are doing to make the kickoff less of a guaranteed touchback. I’m seeing more pop-up kicks that land between the 10-5 yard lines that force the returner to make a flash decision to bring it out or let it fly overhead. It’s at least a little bit of uncertainty.

I like the kickoff.

Yeah it would need to be harder. Gaining 12 yards in the modern game with the rules overwhelmingly in the offenses favor isn't that difficult. No lead is safe as it is and we see these crazy comebacks every week. I can't imagine what it would be like if teams could play make it take it. Teams with terrible defenses could go for it often just trying to get as many possessions as possible.

Something needs to be done because the onside kick is broken. 4th and 15 or 4th and 20 would be cool. Or 4th and 12 but the penalty for not converting is severe.

To me, the kickoff is viewed more ceremonially than as a factor in the game - but to me it’s ingratiated into to lore of the game.

Kick off!

I think that’s how the NFL wants it. They know that the term “kickoff” is more important than the act itself.

There are other things to consider as well that make the kickoff special. Despite the rules limiting blocking schemes and rocket-legged kickers who can boot it into the stands - there is still some things that can happen to impact the game.

Kick out of bounds and your opponent has it at the 40. We’ve all seen that happen - heck, one of Brady’s rings can be partially attributed to a Jon Kasay kick out of bounds.

But I also like what some of the coaches are doing to make the kickoff less of a guaranteed touchback. I’m seeing more pop-up kicks that land between the 10-5 yard lines that force the returner to make a flash decision to bring it out or let it fly overhead. It’s at least a little bit of uncertainty.

I like the kickoff.
I don't want to have to explain "Ambush" with " That's the way they did it back then."

I don't want to have to explain "Ambush" with " That's the way they did it back then."
Exactly!

Can you imagine instead of saying “what time is kick off?” Saying, “what time is 4th and 12?”

I get that the NFL wants closer games to insure that people aren’t switching channels during a blowout - but the access to games is greater than its ever been and most people have access to multiple games simultaneously via multiple platforms - so which close game do we want people watching if they are all close?

So with that, it makes sense that a blowout presents a chance for more eyes on the actual close games that occurred naturally.

Maybe I’m being too logical though, the NFL doesn’t always excel at that. 😆

I don’t think there needs to be an easier way for a team to get back into a game. If you are getting your butt handed to you, why is it fair that you now have some easier route to close that gap at the end?

Coming back from a large deficit is supposed to be exceptionally hard. So anything done to make that easier is an affront to the game in my opinion.

Yeah, but how is that any better than a single on-field ref looking at a tiny tablet screen held in front of his face by a guy on the sideline?

Oh that's right... IN EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY.

Kick off!

I like the kickoff.
I love the kickoff too, but the NFL does what it does best, it ruined it. My suggestion only exists because the NFL ruined one of the most exciting plays in the game.

I love the kickoff too, but the NFL does what it does best, it ruined it. My suggestion only exists because the NFL ruined one of the most exciting plays in the game.
It definitely used to be more exciting - but it also used to be, hands down, the biggest culprit of catastrophic injury and concussions in the game. So they were left no choice but to tweak it and remove some of the “potential” injury.

I don’t mind the new rules and to me, kickoffs are still exciting, just in a different way. Now it’s more strategic because every single kicker on an NFL roster could kick a touchback at any time. So there’s a little strategy that goes into the decision to kick deep, or possibly kick short or even squib.

Look at last years AFC Divisional game. The Bills score the go-ahead TD with 12 seconds left. They kick deep leaving the Chiefs two plays to get into FG range. Had they squibbed it, into the field of play, the Chiefs don’t have time to run two plays.

The kickoff still matters despite the NFLs tweaks.

It definitely used to be more exciting - but it also used to be, hands down, the biggest culprit of catastrophic injury and concussions in the game. So they were left no choice but to tweak it and remove some of the “potential” injury.

I don’t mind the new rules and to me, kickoffs are still exciting, just in a different way. Now it’s more strategic because every single kicker on an NFL roster could kick a touchback at any time. So there’s a little strategy that goes into the decision to kick deep, or possibly kick short or even squib.

Look at last years AFC Divisional game. The Bills score the go-ahead TD with 12 seconds left. They kick deep leaving the Chiefs two plays to get into FG range. Had they squibbed it, into the field of play, the Chiefs don’t have time to run two plays.

The kickoff still matters despite the NFLs tweaks.
Let’s get rid of punts too. Heck, let’s play two hand touch.

Let’s get rid of punts too. Heck, let’s play two hand touch.

Punts are likely to be the next thing the league “tweaks” for safety. I guess the only difference is that the defenders on a punt start at the line, engaged by the return team so perhaps, aside from a gunner that slips by, there’s less of a clean running start to the man with the ball. But regardless - I’m happy to see tweaks to the high injury aspects.

The game we love can’t survive if the players are all getting CTE. At some point parents will just stop allowing their kids to play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom