I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I think we have upgraded just about every position group except for one or two this offseason. So Armstead is right you can tell this is a super bowl or bust year if we ever had one. With this virus not being a killer, I think they should keep the season going forward. The players just need to be tested frequently and stay away from family members with diabetes & whatnot. We need to protect the people with those conditions since those are the ones this virus tends to kill.

QB: I think Jameis is an upgrade over Teddy as our backup & possible future starting QB. He has more talent to work with. Tommy Stevens is any upgrade to the 4th QB lol. But hopefully he can replace Taysom if he ends up leaving or digressing in a few years due to age.
RB: Ty Montgomery is going to be a better 3rd back than Dewayne Washington cause he offers more in the receiving and return game
FB: I would say it’s probably a wash and maybe a down grade from Zach Line to Mike Burton
WR: Emmanuel Sanders is a huge upgrade to Ted Ginn. Hopefully the other Emmanuel is more involved on offense cause I like what he offers as well.
TE: Adam Trautman makes this unit even better.
OT: James Hurst offers us a backup tackle with a lot more game experience
C/G: Cesar Ruiz should be an upgrade to Larry Warford for sure.

DE/DT: Margus Hunt could possibly improve both those positions with his size & ability. We haven’t lost anyone there
LB: Nigel Bradham & Zach Baun will be a huge upgrade over AJ Klein IMO
CB: this is the one spot we’re we have gotten worse with the loss of Eli Apple and no real replacement since we already cut Deatrick Nichols. Since it is super bowl or bust, I would think we will bring in a decent vet corner ASAP.
S: Malcolm Jenkins should be an upgrade to Vonn Bell against the pass, but not so sure against the run. He offers us more leadership, but also could be a distraction with all the SJW stuff. CGJ will fill in any of the gaps that Jenkins can’t provide anyway though
Special teams: pretty much stayed the same besides some possible backup return men for Deonte Harris

Last edited:

Great Dane

He who dares wins
Reaction score
It is very early to say how and where the roster is. I think most teams feels every year that their roster improved (to find out later that was wrong) A reasonably good list, but with some "stretched conclusions"

- You are pretty much alone on Winston > Bridgwater. How many times has Winston won 5 games in a row and without throwing all those INT's. ? Also I belive T Hill is the better 2nd option. Winston is not a starting QB and a risky back up QB
- FB position is weaker. Just admit it
- Trautman has done nothing yet. TE rookies often struggle. But the upside is there for future seasons.
- Klein was very good for us. Hard to say whether he has lost any gas in the tank. Hard to evaluate this group although Davis is a beast
- Losing Apple and replacing him with another Giants CB was not that bad. Apple was free to go for a reason. Not sure the group has weakened
- M Jenkins days are behind him. I think he will be in "cruise mode" rather than "beast mode". Not a good signing

KiwiSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I agree about your roster analysis, but I'm preparing myself mentally for a fourth, consecutive devastating result for this season...1st the Minneapolis Miracle, then the Ref Screw Job followed by last year's playoff loss. A cancellation this year with our roster will be number 4!

Consiglieri

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
- You are pretty much alone on Winston > Bridgwater. How many times has Winston won 5 games in a row and without throwing all those INT's. ? Also I belive T Hill is the better 2nd option. Winston is not a starting QB and a risky back up QB
- Trautman has done nothing yet. TE rookies often struggle. But the upside is there for future seasons.
- Klein was very good for us. Hard to say whether he has lost any gas in the tank. Hard to evaluate this group although Davis is a beast
- Losing Apple and replacing him with another Giants CB was not that bad. Apple was free to go for a reason. Not sure the group has weakened
- M Jenkins days are behind him. I think he will be in "cruise mode" rather than "beast mode". Not a good signing
I agree with the OP's general sentiment. It would stink to miss the year when we look so good. The WR and OL groups should be better.

But I also agree with these caveats. We will miss Apple, not as a starter but as a #3 CB option if the starters get hurt. And I am afraid Jenkins will be more of a cancer than a cure.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think that we have upgraded significantly in many places at least in depth. But I didn’t have to look beyond your very first case to see just how Rosie the glasses were. Remember that if you are evaluating QB position where the only change was at backup QB, then you have to evaluate how good a backup they are not who has more potential (and that even is highly debatable) as a starter at some point in the future. Speaking purely as a backup it’s hard to not account for the skins that were put on the wall by last years backup. Since 95 percent or better of teams losing a atarting QB for the year are done anyway, I don’t think we are in a much worse position but it is important to have perspective In our evaluations

BlownGP

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm tired of getting my hopes up. Just going to hope we have a season.

Deucewildin

Rookie
Reaction score
It is very early to say how and where the roster is. I think most teams feels every year that their roster improved (to find out later that was wrong) A reasonably good list, but with some "stretched conclusions"

Nope, I think 80% of GMs in the NFL if had to choose between the two for cheap would Pick Winston. Teddy won 5 games but Teddy had a excellent game plan I ole tee by coaches with a D that was on fire during that time span .

Reaction score

Agree. Half expected Jenkins to opt out because of his comment that the NFL is non essential. He hasn't yet though so we will see.

gregh

The Real Deal
Reaction score
I'm tired of getting my hopes up. Just going to hope we have a season.
its been so long without most sports that it doesnt even matter anymore honestly. i think this showed how much they are non essential, even for entertainment purposes.. found more rewarding things to do with time. im sure i am in the minority, but it does bring some perspective...

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have no problem with OP’s premise ‘I hope the season happens bc we have a great team’

What becomes an issue is when people have that same premise and then go about misinterpreting and cherry picking data to advocate for the premise

We all hope the virus just goes away, but that hope should have no bearing on how we evaluate what’s happening

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
its been so long without most sports that it doesnt even matter anymore honestly. i think this showed how much they are non essential, even for entertainment purposes.. found more rewarding things to do with time. im sure i am in the minority, but it does bring some perspective...
Agree 100%

BlownGP

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
No, I feel the same way.

I was sorta happy to see basketball back but it's not the same without fans. Just like I love America's Got talent and looked forward to it every summer. Now without fans it's boring and lost my interest.

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OP I guess we're in the minority but I prefer Winston over Teddy as well. That's not a knock on Teddy, I just think Winston (with SP) brings more to the table.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Improving your team at several positions is never a bad thing, but It's an arms race. All teams are trying to get better. There's usually 2-3 nice surprises and 2-3 disappointments, so who knows?

*I really like our rookies.
* 2-3 sophomores/juniors could be better than last year.
*Hill vs a SP-coached Winston? Interesting! I have no idea how that will shake out.
*Will we really activate 4 QB's in some games?
*Jenkins is a worry for 2-3 reasons.
*No feeling about Kamara. He could be worse, stay the same, or return to form.
*Murray is a stud, we should use him more even if Kamara is back 100%.

Deucewildin

Rookie
Reaction score
And that... is a definite maybe.
Winstons 2 years younger

2 4,000 yard season
1 5,000 yard season

Teddy has never thrown for more than 3,500
Teddy has a defense that was beastly with the Vikings and here when he played along with a Run game

Winstonhas never had a D or run game if he think it’s even a comparison Ican guarantee lol you need to refine how you evaluate players

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Let's just hope a certain saying holds true for the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Davante Adams doubtful, but still hoping to play tonight Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints lineman Nick Easton has been ready to play wherever he's been needed Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I know why Coach Payton has lost his play calling mojo... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Davante Adams: “Too early to tell” if I can play this week Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Michael Thomas better play next weekend Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Report: Packers doctor to examine Michael Thomas' injury days before Saints play Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders final injury report: Cesar Ruiz to play Monday; Thomas OUT Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How Jared Cook led NFL in big-play efficiency with Saints; what more targets could show Saints RSS News Feeds 1
If MT says he is good and the Dr Approves..Let Him Play Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Saint Lattimore Saints Michael Thomas “has a shot” to play Week 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 30
james_k_p Video 2020 Highlight Shows Week 01 - Final Play, 4th down on 4, B&G Review Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Andrus New Orleans Saints prepared to forge ahead if Michael Thomas cannot play SR News Page Articles 0
jasonsw Saints Which unexpected Saints player will make a big play on MNF? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 34
Billgluckman That little trick play at the end of the game.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
Saintsphere Falcons 1st rd pick AJ Terrell first player to be placed on COVID-19 list during season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Taker597 Official 2021 Quarterback Draft Class and In Season Scouting Thread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 56
Saintsphere Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram debut podcast; Alvin Kamara first guest and gets into how bad injury was last season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Season on DC shoulders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Early-season NFL QB awards: Best start, most improved, most nimble, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Best of luck the rest of the season, SaintsFans Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Bill NFL "If The Season Ended Today..." - WEEK 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Taker597 We are going into a rebuild one way or another. Trade Lattimore in the off-season. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
[Mod edit Speculation based on Unsubstantiated Source] Would it Surprise Anyone if we Traded Davenport after the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 57