I hope we play this season since we have upgraded just about every position group (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
I think we have upgraded just about every position group except for one or two this offseason. So Armstead is right you can tell this is a super bowl or bust year if we ever had one. With this virus not being a killer, I think they should keep the season going forward. The players just need to be tested frequently and stay away from family members with diabetes & whatnot. We need to protect the people with those conditions since those are the ones this virus tends to kill.

QB: I think Jameis is an upgrade over Teddy as our backup & possible future starting QB. He has more talent to work with. Tommy Stevens is any upgrade to the 4th QB lol. But hopefully he can replace Taysom if he ends up leaving or digressing in a few years due to age.
RB: Ty Montgomery is going to be a better 3rd back than Dewayne Washington cause he offers more in the receiving and return game
FB: I would say it’s probably a wash and maybe a down grade from Zach Line to Mike Burton
WR: Emmanuel Sanders is a huge upgrade to Ted Ginn. Hopefully the other Emmanuel is more involved on offense cause I like what he offers as well.
TE: Adam Trautman makes this unit even better.
OT: James Hurst offers us a backup tackle with a lot more game experience
C/G: Cesar Ruiz should be an upgrade to Larry Warford for sure.

DE/DT: Margus Hunt could possibly improve both those positions with his size & ability. We haven’t lost anyone there
LB: Nigel Bradham & Zach Baun will be a huge upgrade over AJ Klein IMO
CB: this is the one spot we’re we have gotten worse with the loss of Eli Apple and no real replacement since we already cut Deatrick Nichols. Since it is super bowl or bust, I would think we will bring in a decent vet corner ASAP.
S: Malcolm Jenkins should be an upgrade to Vonn Bell against the pass, but not so sure against the run. He offers us more leadership, but also could be a distraction with all the SJW stuff. CGJ will fill in any of the gaps that Jenkins can’t provide anyway though
Special teams: pretty much stayed the same besides some possible backup return men for Deonte Harris

Last edited:
It is very early to say how and where the roster is. I think most teams feels every year that their roster improved (to find out later that was wrong) A reasonably good list, but with some "stretched conclusions"

- You are pretty much alone on Winston > Bridgwater. How many times has Winston won 5 games in a row and without throwing all those INT's. ? Also I belive T Hill is the better 2nd option. Winston is not a starting QB and a risky back up QB
- FB position is weaker. Just admit it
- Trautman has done nothing yet. TE rookies often struggle. But the upside is there for future seasons.
- Klein was very good for us. Hard to say whether he has lost any gas in the tank. Hard to evaluate this group although Davis is a beast
- Losing Apple and replacing him with another Giants CB was not that bad. Apple was free to go for a reason. Not sure the group has weakened
- M Jenkins days are behind him. I think he will be in "cruise mode" rather than "beast mode". Not a good signing

I agree about your roster analysis, but I'm preparing myself mentally for a fourth, consecutive devastating result for this season...1st the Minneapolis Miracle, then the Ref Screw Job followed by last year's playoff loss. A cancellation this year with our roster will be number 4!

- You are pretty much alone on Winston > Bridgwater. How many times has Winston won 5 games in a row and without throwing all those INT's. ? Also I belive T Hill is the better 2nd option. Winston is not a starting QB and a risky back up QB
- Trautman has done nothing yet. TE rookies often struggle. But the upside is there for future seasons.
- Klein was very good for us. Hard to say whether he has lost any gas in the tank. Hard to evaluate this group although Davis is a beast
- Losing Apple and replacing him with another Giants CB was not that bad. Apple was free to go for a reason. Not sure the group has weakened
- M Jenkins days are behind him. I think he will be in "cruise mode" rather than "beast mode". Not a good signing
I agree with the OP's general sentiment. It would stink to miss the year when we look so good. The WR and OL groups should be better.

But I also agree with these caveats. We will miss Apple, not as a starter but as a #3 CB option if the starters get hurt. And I am afraid Jenkins will be more of a cancer than a cure.

I think that we have upgraded significantly in many places at least in depth. But I didn’t have to look beyond your very first case to see just how Rosie the glasses were. Remember that if you are evaluating QB position where the only change was at backup QB, then you have to evaluate how good a backup they are not who has more potential (and that even is highly debatable) as a starter at some point in the future. Speaking purely as a backup it’s hard to not account for the skins that were put on the wall by last years backup. Since 95 percent or better of teams losing a atarting QB for the year are done anyway, I don’t think we are in a much worse position but it is important to have perspective In our evaluations

I'm tired of getting my hopes up. Just going to hope we have a season.

It is very early to say how and where the roster is. I think most teams feels every year that their roster improved (to find out later that was wrong) A reasonably good list, but with some "stretched conclusions"

Nope, I think 80% of GMs in the NFL if had to choose between the two for cheap would Pick Winston. Teddy won 5 games but Teddy had a excellent game plan I ole tee by coaches with a D that was on fire during that time span .

Agree. Half expected Jenkins to opt out because of his comment that the NFL is non essential. He hasn't yet though so we will see.

I'm tired of getting my hopes up. Just going to hope we have a season.
its been so long without most sports that it doesnt even matter anymore honestly. i think this showed how much they are non essential, even for entertainment purposes.. found more rewarding things to do with time. im sure i am in the minority, but it does bring some perspective...

I have no problem with OP’s premise ‘I hope the season happens bc we have a great team’

What becomes an issue is when people have that same premise and then go about misinterpreting and cherry picking data to advocate for the premise

We all hope the virus just goes away, but that hope should have no bearing on how we evaluate what’s happening

its been so long without most sports that it doesnt even matter anymore honestly. i think this showed how much they are non essential, even for entertainment purposes.. found more rewarding things to do with time. im sure i am in the minority, but it does bring some perspective...

Agree 100%

No, I feel the same way.

I was sorta happy to see basketball back but it's not the same without fans. Just like I love America's Got talent and looked forward to it every summer. Now without fans it's boring and lost my interest.

OP I guess we're in the minority but I prefer Winston over Teddy as well. That's not a knock on Teddy, I just think Winston (with SP) brings more to the table.

Improving your team at several positions is never a bad thing, but It's an arms race. All teams are trying to get better. There's usually 2-3 nice surprises and 2-3 disappointments, so who knows?

*I really like our rookies.
* 2-3 sophomores/juniors could be better than last year.
*Hill vs a SP-coached Winston? Interesting! I have no idea how that will shake out.
*Will we really activate 4 QB's in some games?
*Jenkins is a worry for 2-3 reasons.
*No feeling about Kamara. He could be worse, stay the same, or return to form.
*Murray is a stud, we should use him more even if Kamara is back 100%.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom