I hope we're not done with FA's yet... (1 Viewer)

While Loomis said they were "in there" for Robertson I don't think the staff is as unhappy with our DT situation as everyone collectively seems to be. We spent pretty good money on McCray, he's going to see a lot of snaps which should result in one of our starting DEs (one would imagine it'd be Grant) moving inside some. Young is underrated on this forum and the staff may like the talent expected to be available in the draft.

My problem with Hollis and Young isn't their productivity. It's their age along with a lack of depth at the position. Hollis is going to be 34 before week 1, and his conditioning was suspect last year. At this point he's better suited to play spot duty, not a full-time starter on running downs.

My problem with Hollis and Young isn't their productivity. It's their age along with a lack of depth at the position. Hollis is going to be 34 before week 1, and his conditioning was suspect last year. At this point he's better suited to play spot duty, not a full-time starter on running downs.

Right but we also have a fairly young Kendrick Clancy. I don't know what the staff's evaluation of Clancy is but he strikes me as an adequate gap-replacement if Hollis suffers a sudden decline. I am concerned about who is behind Young. While I consider Young underrated he's hardly "elite" by any stretch, and certainly isn't young. Antwan Lake is maxed out ability-wise I think. We need someone, at least a "project" of some sort, that we can look forward too. But that can (and should) come in the draft.

Thats the right way. People's mindset shouldn't be to get proportionally better before the draft through FA. The goal is to not get worse, and if you can improve a few positions and fill a few holes do it. We did so with McCray, Gay, and the Vilma trade. You use the draft to build and improve your team. Thats how top teams do it.

I gotta disagree slightly there. I see FA as the opportunity to fill as many holes as you can within reason, which would allow you to draft BPA. FA should be used as a tool to add flexibility come draft time IMO. For example, maybe we snag a Briggs or a Samuel (no, not crying over this still), or on a smaller scale maybe Boss Bailey. That will allow you to possibly trade a pick or two to move up to grab Dorsey or Ellis because there is less of a need after solidifying a weakspot through FA.

i think we need to bring in boss bailey for a look.he played solid for a below average defense. does anybody know how ben troupe's visit went? i think michael boley would be a huge upgrade for us at WLB but he is a RFA so i don't really know what it would take to get him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom