I hope we're not done with FA's yet... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I'm over-joyed with the Vilma trade, and the McCray and Gay signings both appear to be solid... I'm even pretty good with the Devery and Stecker re-signings (1 year deals and keep some continuity)

However, the Saints work is not over... IMO, we still need to address our other needs through FA prior to heading into the draft.

Specifically, we need to address DT, OLB, TE, and FS.

The DT crop has gotten pretty thin, but the guy that I wanted all along is still there... Browns DT Ethan Kelley. He's a young Hollis Thomas, and he's still got a good bit of upside. I really hope we bring him in for a look... more than a look. Another guy I'd really like to see us take a hard look at is Tampa Bay RFA DT Jovan Haye. This guy carries a 6th round pick as compensation, but he would be well worth it if we could sign him up. If the specualtion about Charles Grant sliding inside on passing downs is true, that will help out a good bit also.

Vilma is a stud... I love the fact that we got him! Having Vilma will make Fujita better IMO, but there is still a hole on the weak-side. Shanle is decent at best, and the Saints would be foolish not to try and upgrade that position now, while there are still some very solid guys out there. Landon Johnson, Victor Hobson, Clark Haggans, Boss Bailey, and Chaun Thompson are all UFA's that, IMHO, would be upgrades over Shanle... Also, Colts RFA OLB Tyjuan Hagler would be worth the 5th round compensation, if we could bring in a player with his athleticism, speed, and upside.

I honestly think we would be fine at TE if we just re-signed Billy Miller, held on to Campbell and Ghent, and looked to draft a TE in the 3rd or 5th round. Miller knows this offense, has the trust of the coaches and Drew, and has been solid for us.

FS is a hole in our defense... I think Josh Bullocks is better suited as a SS, but Roman Harper has a chance to be very good there. Chris Ries is a solid STer, but he's not the answer, and KK is a very good reserve DB, but not an every down FS. FS Eugene Wilson would be really nice, but I wouldn't want to spend the big bucks on him... I just don't think he's that good. Will Demps would be solid, but he struggles versus the pass much like Bullocks does. Here's the guy I think would be the best "get" for the Saints... Giants RFA James Butler. Butler was undrafted, so he carries no compensation if we were to sign him... He's a big guy at 6'3 215 and he still has a great deal of upside after only 3 seasons in the league.

I also feel it is important to get Marques Colston and Jahri Evans locked up long term ASAP. These are two key guys that I don't want to play around with... Let Will Smith earn it this year.

The staff appears to like Bullocks, so he's here to stay. We should probably just move on from that position. With Bullocks, Kaesviharn, and Harper on the payroll still I imagine they'll look to find some young 4th Safety to round that position out (Chris Reis again, maybe a draft pick, maybe a UDFA)

TE is an obvious need and clearly they're trying to address that.

I too would like another WLB to come in. Honestly none of the available WLBs are guaranteed to beat out Simoneau and Shanle and start, but there are a few who have some "upside" to them, Johnson, Bailey, Lehman, etc.

While Loomis said they were "in there" for Robertson I don't think the staff is as unhappy with our DT situation as everyone collectively seems to be. We spent pretty good money on McCray, he's going to see a lot of snaps which should result in one of our starting DEs (one would imagine it'd be Grant) moving inside some. Young is underrated on this forum and the staff may like the talent expected to be available in the draft.

The staff appears to like Bullocks, so he's here to stay. We should probably just move on from that position. With Bullocks, Kaesviharn, and Harper on the payroll still I imagine they'll look to find some young 4th Safety to round that position out (Chris Reis again, maybe a draft pick, maybe a UDFA)

TE is an obvious need and clearly they're trying to address that.

I too would like another WLB to come in. Honestly none of the available WLBs are guaranteed to beat out Simoneau and Shanle and start, but there are a few who have some "upside" to them, Johnson, Bailey, Lehman, etc.

While Loomis said they were "in there" for Robertson I don't think the staff is as unhappy with our DT situation as everyone collectively seems to be. We spent pretty good money on McCray, he's going to see a lot of snaps which should result in one of our starting DEs (one would imagine it'd be Grant) moving inside some. Young is underrated on this forum and the staff may like the talent expected to be available in the draft.

You're probably right about Bullocks, that certainly appears to be the case anyways...

Do you think Billy Miller would be solid, or are you hoping for a Ben Troupe ect...?

I like Landon Johnson and Boss Bailey, but I really like the Hagler kid from Indy... He's got freaky athleticism.

You're probably right about Bullocks, that certainly appears to be the case anyways...

Do you think Billy Miller would be solid, or are you hoping for a Ben Troupe ect...?

I like Landon Johnson and Boss Bailey, but I really like the Hagler kid from Indy... He's got freaky athleticism.

Well i'm hoping for Troupe and Miller actually. :hihi:

We'll need both. Miller and Johnson are both FA's. In order to fill out the TE roster we'd need to sign two TE's. Miller and Toupe would be a good combo.

Anybody else a little surprised that Billy Miller was not resigned. I have a feeling, like Devery and Stecker, we let him shop himself around and if he doesn't find anything he likes we have a 1-3 year contract waiting for him, if he decides to comeback.

I don't believe Eric johnson is in our plans anymore, though I think his contribution last year was a bit under appreciated.

I also think the Safety postion is going to be manned by Harper and Bullocks next year. Maybe we bring in depth. They've had some crap playing in front of them and you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

I agree with Spam on the DL. I think the only way DT gets addressed is if Dorsey or Ellis falls to us or someone else is BPA later in the draft. Otherwise, we'll go in to 09 like this.

That being said. I would prefer Gold at WLB. He is a much better blitzer than Johnson and could put more pressure on the QB, which we need. Vilma and Fujita are stout against the run so we'd be OK. If we do land one of the top 2 DTs in the draft then I would want Johnson or Boss.

I think Troupe and Miller or Johnson and Miller is our most important to go with right now at TE.

I am SHOCKED that we have NOT signed Billy Miller!!
He has earned his stripes in New Orleans, as far as I am concerned. I agree with your point, about him "shopping around". I say Lock him up for 3 years, he is worth it!! JMHO

Anybody else a little surprised that Billy Miller was not resigned. I have a feeling, like Devery and Stecker, we let him shop himself around and if he doesn't find anything he likes we have a 1-3 year contract waiting for him, if he decides to comeback.

I don't believe Eric johnson is in our plans anymore, though I think his contribution last year was a bit under appreciated.

I agree. If I had to guess I would also say that we've probably got "short-term" type deals out to guys like Billy Miller and David Patten, 1 or 2 year deals, and they're shopping around for a longer term contract (which you can't blame them for).

Another guy I'd really like to see us take a hard look at is Tampa Bay RFA DT Jovan Haye. This guy carries a 6th round pick as compensation, but he would be well worth it if we could sign him up. If the specualtion about Charles Grant sliding inside on passing downs is true, that will help out a good bit also.

Also, Colts RFA OLB Tyjuan Hagler would be worth the 5th round compensation, if we could bring in a player with his athleticism, speed, and upside.

Jovan Haye carries a higher tender than 6th, we'd have to give up a 1st round pick to sign him.

Tyjuan Hagler was re-signed by Indy to a 1 year deal. I like Landon Johnson here. He's young, productive, and a good fit at the WLB spot. I don't think he'd have any problems beating out Shanle in TC. Then again, I though Brian Simmons would beat out Simoneau last year.

I still think we need a #2 receiver. I would be pretty happy going into the draft if we resign Miller and then pick up a TE and a WR via FA. Then in the draft, hopefully we can pick up a solid CB, LB and/or DT/OT.

I don't think we should take many more FAs. Free agency is not a good way to build a team - taking guys that didn't work out with other teams. Occaisionally you get a Wes Welker, but usually you get a Jason David. I think you only take the players with clear value, sign your own players, and then prepare for the draft.

I don't think we should take many more FAs. Free agency is not a good way to build a team - taking guys that didn't work out with other teams. Occaisionally you get a Wes Welker, but usually you get a Jason David. I think you only take the players with clear value, sign your own players, and then prepare for the draft.

Thats the right way. People's mindset shouldn't be to get proportionally better before the draft through FA. The goal is to not get worse, and if you can improve a few positions and fill a few holes do it. We did so with McCray, Gay, and the Vilma trade. You use the draft to build and improve your team. Thats how top teams do it.

Thats the right way. People's mindset shouldn't be to get proportionally better before the draft through FA. The goal is to not get worse, and if you can improve a few positions and fill a few holes do it. We did so with McCray, Gay, and the Vilma trade. You use the draft to build and improve your team. Thats how top teams do it.

Agreed, but there are many holes on this team, and we can't fill them all via the draft. I think we should pick up 2 more players - TE and WR. That way, we won't be reaching in the draft. Plus, WR's hardly ever pan out during their 1st year.

Saints Needs

I see the Saints needs at this moment as follows:

1. DT Starter
2. FS Starter
3. OLB Starter
4. #2 WR
5. TE (Saints need a total of 3)
6. #2 QB
7. Backup C
8. OT upgrade (eventual starter at RT)
9. Backup CB

Apparently the Saints are still looking at the TE, backup QB, and possibly DT positions in free agency. Whatever they don't address now they will need to address through the draft or the June 1 cuts.

No matter what though, you don't pass on Dorsey or Ellis in the first round; you might even trade up a couple of spots to get one of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom