I hope we're not done with FA's yet... (4 Viewers)

Agreed, but there are many holes on this team, and we can't fill them all via the draft. I think we should pick up 2 more players - TE and WR. That way, we won't be reaching in the draft. Plus, WR's hardly ever pan out during their 1st year.

We will do that. We'll sign at least 2 TE's in the next little while, and I expect Patten to resign eventually as well as a few more camp bodies to compete.

I was speaking more on our defensive moves. I also think we aren't done. We'll probably add an OLB of somekind to compete in TC.

I see the Saints needs at this moment as follows:

1. DT Starter
2. FS Starter
3. OLB Starter
4. #2 WR
5. TE (Saints need a total of 3)
6. #2 QB
7. Backup C
8. OT upgrade (eventual starter at RT)
9. Backup CB

Apparently the Saints are still looking at the TE, backup QB, and possibly DT positions in free agency. Whatever they don't address now they will need to address through the draft or the June 1 cuts.

No matter what though, you don't pass on Dorsey or Ellis in the first round; you might even trade up a couple of spots to get one of them.

Well the backup positions can be filled with cut players or draft picks. I wanted an OT upgrade but I think Alleman and Bushrod will push for starting jobs this year so not all is lost there. We'll be signing at least 2 TE's soon, I have no doubt of that. Patten or another journeyman WR will likely be signed, with the hopes that Meachem wins the number 2 spot in TC.

I wanted Bullocks replaced, but the market for FA's was very tiny. We'll have to draft a replacement, but I think hes the starter this year. I also think OLB will be addressed in the draft.

I want an upgrade at DT, but its not a major need. We looked very good at DT in 06 with a healthy Young and Thomas playing, so they can do well enough this season. I think its likely though that we draft a DT in the top 4 rounds to add to the rotation, or maybe start. A solid rotation will do just as well as one star DT.

We will do that. We'll sign at least 2 TE's in the next little while, and I expect Patten to resign eventually as well as a few more camp bodies to compete.

I was speaking more on our defensive moves. I also think we aren't done. We'll probably add an OLB of somekind to compete in TC.

Yeah, I would love to pick up an OLB in free agency, but I'm not counting on it. I feel like we can upgrade Shanle in the 2nd round of the draft. I want a young corner or OT in the first, unless one of the DTs fall, of course.

I would be ok with just picking up Patten, but I am holding out hope for an upgrade. I like the Henderson resigning, but I do not want to have to rely upon him. I would prefer to have him as a speed option in certain set ups. Also, Meachem is a question mark...

for the DT issue, if Ellis or Dorsey falls to us, I have high faith we'd take them, unless some other defensive stud is on the board. If not, I'd pick the top CB (unless there is a strong case for another position.. i.e. BPA).

I think the DT issue (the issue is really having a strong back up or potential starter) could be easily cured by Trevor Law from ND, and I think he'll easily be a 2nd or possible 3rd round pick up. I think his stock is rising since the combine, so I wouldn't bet he'd last too much past the 2nd round. I liked one of the scouting analyses that said he can be too aggressive and that was a negative. I'll take too aggressive any day, especially since he's rated as highly intelligent, so I don't see him getting into penalty trouble.

I wouldn't mind a defensive core of devils instead of saints. :9:

Anyone know much about boss bailey? His name has come up a few times...i've never seen him play. Any scouting reports out there with pros/cons, etc? Any lions fans on board who have seen him play (he played for detroit, right)? Thanks.

there arent alot of players out there in FA that are gonna unseat our current starters or FA pickups, so the rest (minus a signing or 2) are going to be addressed via the draft......and this talk of Bullocks needing a replacement is only talk on this forum, Loomis and Payton like the kid......please give it a rest.

Whould you rather see us doing stuff like this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3275059

Pace to get $22M guaranteed in big deal with Jets

The contract, which makes Pace one of the highest paid linebackers in NFL history, will pay out $26 million in its first three years.

For all that money you would think wow Calvin Pace must be awesome? Right?

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead bgColor=#b10339><TD colSpan=20>Defense Stats</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width="8%">YEAR</TD><TD align=left width="8%">TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>TOT</TD><TD>SOLO</TD><TD>AST</TD><TD>PD</TD><TD>SACK</TD><TD>FF</TD><TD>REC</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>TD</TD></TR><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>25</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><!--teamId=22--><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>13</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>4.5</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><!--teamId=22--><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><!--teamId=22--><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>27</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><!--teamId=22--><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>98</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>6.5</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left colSpan=2>Career</TD><TD>67</TD><TD>186</TD><TD>147</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>14.0</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=stathead bgColor=#b10339><TD colSpan=20>Scoring Stats</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left width="8%">YEAR</TD><TD align=left width="8%">TEAM</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>RushTD</TD><TD>RecTD</TD><TD>RetTD</TD><TD>TotTD</TD><TD>2PT</TD><TD>PAT</TD><TD>FG</TD><TD>TotPT</TD></TR><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><!--teamId2=22--><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=left>ARI</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD align=left colSpan=2>Career</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Stats provided by STATS LLC
<!-- content players sport nfl-->
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>adsonar_placementId=1268447;adsonar_pid=580757;adsonar_ps=-1;adsonar_zw=740;adsonar_zh=215;adsonar_jv='ads.espn.adsonar.com';</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://js.adsonar.com/js/adsonar.js"></SCRIPT>
<!--***** end temp body ************--><!--*************** FOOTER *******************-->

Last edited:
I would love to see the ben troupe pickup at 6'4" 270 this kid is a beast and still has a lot of football left in him. I think his production only fell because of the qb situation in tenn.

FSs

there arent alot of players out there in FA that are gonna unseat our current starters or FA pickups, so the rest (minus a signing or 2) are going to be addressed via the draft......and this talk of Bullocks needing a replacement is only talk on this forum, Loomis and Payton like the kid......please give it a rest.

In defending the Saints CBs, Sean Payton has said that part of the blame at times lies with the CBs and part of the blame lies with the Safeties (read FS for most of the time). So I don't think that the coaching staff has 100% faith in its FSs.

In defending the Saints CBs, Sean Payton has said that part of the blame at times lies with the CBs and part of the blame lies with the Safeties (read FS for most of the time). So I don't think that the coaching staff has 100% faith in its FSs.

This goes with my earlier post, but think of this playing out...

We cover our TE issue in the FA (I hope Troupe).

CB - Gay, and MM (when he's back), until then you have two options.. stick with David or get someone in the draft (DRC).

FS/SS - Depending on the CB situation, you move one of your corners to be a Safety. Perhaps JD would be a better Safety than a CB. Again, your secondary looks great when you're front 7 are terrorizing the quarterback.

DT - If Ellis or Dorsey are on the board, we'd probably take them, unless..... we think Trevor Law would be starting material and then, in the first round we take the top CB we can. I think Ellis or Dorsey would be hard to pass up on (maybe even stupid), but if you can get a quality DT starter in the second round, then passing up the top 4-6 CB's would be stupid, since by the 2nd round there really wouldn't be a CB worth taking that would make an immediate impact.

You honestly have to think that the plan would probably involve taking a CB in the first round and a DT in the second round, since we probably aren't baselining Ellis or Dorsey as still being on the board. I really don't see us trading for spots either.

I'm over-joyed with the Vilma trade, and the McCray and Gay signings both appear to be solid... I'm even pretty good with the Devery and Stecker re-signings (1 year deals and keep some continuity)

However, the Saints work is not over... IMO, we still need to address our other needs through FA prior to heading into the draft.

Specifically, we need to address DT, OLB, TE, and FS.

The DT crop has gotten pretty thin, but the guy that I wanted all along is still there... Browns DT Ethan Kelley. He's a young Hollis Thomas, and he's still got a good bit of upside. I really hope we bring him in for a look... more than a look. Another guy I'd really like to see us take a hard look at is Tampa Bay RFA DT Jovan Haye. This guy carries a 6th round pick as compensation, but he would be well worth it if we could sign him up. If the specualtion about Charles Grant sliding inside on passing downs is true, that will help out a good bit also.

Vilma is a stud... I love the fact that we got him! Having Vilma will make Fujita better IMO, but there is still a hole on the weak-side. Shanle is decent at best, and the Saints would be foolish not to try and upgrade that position now, while there are still some very solid guys out there. Landon Johnson, Victor Hobson, Clark Haggans, Boss Bailey, and Chaun Thompson are all UFA's that, IMHO, would be upgrades over Shanle... Also, Colts RFA OLB Tyjuan Hagler would be worth the 5th round compensation, if we could bring in a player with his athleticism, speed, and upside.

I honestly think we would be fine at TE if we just re-signed Billy Miller, held on to Campbell and Ghent, and looked to draft a TE in the 3rd or 5th round. Miller knows this offense, has the trust of the coaches and Drew, and has been solid for us.

FS is a hole in our defense... I think Josh Bullocks is better suited as a SS, but Roman Harper has a chance to be very good there. Chris Ries is a solid STer, but he's not the answer, and KK is a very good reserve DB, but not an every down FS. FS Eugene Wilson would be really nice, but I wouldn't want to spend the big bucks on him... I just don't think he's that good. Will Demps would be solid, but he struggles versus the pass much like Bullocks does. Here's the guy I think would be the best "get" for the Saints... Giants RFA James Butler. Butler was undrafted, so he carries no compensation if we were to sign him... He's a big guy at 6'3 215 and he still has a great deal of upside after only 3 seasons in the league.

I also feel it is important to get Marques Colston and Jahri Evans locked up long term ASAP. These are two key guys that I don't want to play around with... Let Will Smith earn it this year.

Will Smith has earned it ever since he got here. He had one down season statistically, but he still was a force. He just didn't get the stats.

after the draft,,some big names might get cut in areas we need to so there may still be some talent that could help in our problem areas

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom