I hope (1 Viewer)

Honestly the only thing I'm certain Hill can do better than Teddy from the QB position is run. Not sure that'd be enough to give us a chance. We have high hopes that he can have a decent regular season game entirely from behind center but nobody's ever seen this
OK, so what does Bridgewater do better than Hill? I mean, yeah, he has more experience. But when you’re 17-30 for 160+ yards and put up only 6 points, what is that worth?

I get that they kind of have to give him a chance because he’s so highly paid. And I get that he deserves an opportunity to have the benefit of a week of game-planning. But a lot of the issues he was having were not really game-plan related.

I think we will see Bridgewater since that is what he is paid for. But I do think Hill will at least be in for several RPO plays. What makes it interesting is that at least during preseason the team seems to respond better with Hill under center.

Why not an everything approach use both TB and Taysom alternating at different times will make teams have to prepare for a multitude of looks and different skill sets.

Why not an everything approach use both TB and Taysom alternating at different times will make teams have to prepare for a multitude of looks and different skill sets.

Exactly, I honestly think we would have seen some of that against the Rams if not for the WR injuries. I think that until Drew returns that we have to use this approach. As you said it makes the defense spend additional time preparing for the RPO but another added benefit imho is in game adjustments. Unlike Drew, TB doesn’t have a million reps in this offense especially with the 1s. So why not allow Taysom to run some plays while Carmichael goes over scheme with TB and what teams are doing real time and make in game adjustments. Kind of like a timeout without using one.

The biggest thing for TB or Taysom is tempo. We need to break the huddle with 18-20 seconds on the play clock. So SP has to refrain from constant personnel package swaps like he does with Drew, when we do rotate personnel guys have to hustle a little quicker in and out of the huddle to give TB/Taysom extra time to call the play and audible if necessary. Seattle will be a good test.

I hate losing Drew for any amount of time, I hated losing to the Lambs, I loathe the constant bad calls by the refs but Lou Holts has a great saying: “show me someone that has overcome adversity and I’ll show you someone that has accomplished something”.

Well, we have some adversity so let’s prove all these prognosticators that say we’re done wrong by growing as a team. 2 years ago I don’t think we had a chance if this had happened but SP has slowly been building this team to flourish after Drew retires. Maybe TB isn’t Drew’s successor, maybe Taysom isn’t either but something tells me that over the next several weeks we will win or lose not so much based on how our QBs play but rather how the rest of our team plays and how well our coaches prepare our team.

Running game and d,a buffalo repeat. Whoever plays qb needs to be the field gen drew is,needs the tude, needs to play smart and get guys to play together. I think we are the hunters now,find out soon enough.

I’m willing to give him a week to game plan specifically for his skill set. I do think Taysom would be much more exciting. But let’s give Bridgey one week to see what he’s really got. If he stinks it up this week and walks off the field with his head down after every series again, let Taysom have the next few weeks.
I agree with that...and we need to address the left guard situation immediately...where is Nick Easton, he looked at least like a real offensive lineman...is he hurt, what gives?
and, again, I say, even if we start Taysom, we need to bring Edwards and Humphries up from the PS...this is obvious since Quan and Kirkwood are hurt..you cannot put just Mike Thomas in there alone, and the under performing Cook, and not expect to get more players hurt...I am hoping to hear an announcement about all of this today...geez..its driving me nuts...those two receivers appear to have what it takes to go to the next level...we, sort of need them now....

I guess what I mean is if Taysom Hill fails, at least it will be exciting to watch. At least he can make things happen and give us a chance.

With Bridgewater it’s mainly just check-downs, off-the-mark passes, and the occasional first down that was excruciatingly hard to get.
Exactly. He never seems to be looking for what is down the field. Our offence is designed for big plays set up off the short to mid range passing plays. Recently, we have added more to the running game too. Still, TB seems scared to take chances.

I bet Teddy starts and has a much better showing than last week.

Why? Offensive game plans are designed around the strengths of the skills position players. Especially the QB. Drew is a much different QB than teddy. They have different strengths. I expect Sean to draw up a game plan more suited for Teddy. Plus factor in Teddy getting more practice reps with the #1s.

You also have to factor in the situation in which Teddy entered. He didn’t actually play terrible. But the team around him was clearly in shock and played very sloppy. I expect them all to play much better this week.

I also expect Taysom to get some snaps at QB like he usually does. That didn’t happen last week because we ended up needing him at WR once we lost Smith and Ginn. Kirkwood injured himself in warmups and was already out. At one point in the game, Hill was our #3 WR.

Exactly. He never seems to be looking for what is down the field. Our offence is designed for big plays set up off the short to mid range passing plays. Recently, we have added more to the running game too. Still, TB seems scared to take chances.
Even in his "pro bowl" season, his passing numbers were pedestrian.

TB's pro bowl season.png

4 of those TD's came in one game. We're going to need the running game to be on point to win with TB under center. And I think we'll need to throw some more changeups than we did last year with Hill under center too. Especially since he's improved as a pocket passer and, at least this week, Seattle would think whenever he comes in it's going to be a running play until he burns them with a long completion.

Payton isn't stupid and knows what he has in both players. If he doesn't think that Bridgewater is showing enough improvement from last Sunday by the end of tomorrow's practice, he'll have to install more plays for Hill under center. And they wouldn't have to really change the game plan since I'd assume they plan on playing Hill at QB at least like they did last year this week.

Last edited:
The real question is can an average QB be successful in this offense and carry the team until Drew gets back. If an average QB can keep the team in the hunt for a playoff birth then we are okay. If it takes a legend of a QB to be successful in this offense then maybe the offense is too complicated. What gives me hope is that we see SP's ability to be creative with a variety of talents. TH comes to mind. Maybe he lets TB hang himself and then we see the TH show until DB gets back. It will be interesting for sure!

Even in his "pro bowl" season, his passing numbers were pedestrian.

TB's pro bowl season.png's pro bowl season.png

4 of those TD's came in one year. We're going to need the running game to be on point to win with TB under center. And I think we'll need to throw some more changeups than we did last year with Hill under center too. Especially since he's improved as a pocket passer and, at least this week, Seattle would think whenever he comes in it's going to be a running play until he burns them with a long completion.

Payton isn't stupid and knows what he has in both players. If he doesn't think that Bridgewater is showing enough improvement from last Sunday by the end of tomorrow's practice, he'll have to install more plays for Hill under center. And they wouldn't have to really change the game plan since I'd assume they plan on playing Hill at QB at least like they did last year this week.
We shouldn’t expect him to be Drew Brees. Neither QB will be. The hope is that we see significant improvement this week (I think we will) and over the next several weeks/months until Drew returns. Hopefully enough that we can stay at .500. If we can manage that, we will still have a chance down the final stretch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom