I just had to set people straight (1 Viewer)

Colston, in his second year, was a number one receiver on a pass heavy offense. That in itself speaks volumes. Jenkins and Marshall are outstanding receivers, but are behind Colston in productivity so far.

All three recievers are studs...It's too early to tell who is going to be the best of them all, but to me it's pretty obvious Jennings and Marshall have more physical talent than Colston and they're both better than Colston after the catch...

I dunno, how many plays has Colston broken after catching the ball across the middle???

When folks say Colston is slow, I think back to his rookie year in Carolina--what was it? 70 yd. TD and broke 3-4 tackles?

How many 40+yd. TD has he had in 3 years where he broke tackles? That's not a slow WR who just gets lucky on occasion--that's an extension of Danny A and Eric Martin, maybe even Joe Horn.

Colston, in his second year, was a number one receiver on a pass heavy offense. That in itself speaks volumes. Jenkins and Marshall are outstanding receivers, but are behind Colston in productivity so far.

The argument here is that in the NFL, production doesn't always mean you're the better player.

Colston HAS outproduced Marshall since entering the league, but you can never really know what Marshall would have done in our offense in 2006 with Brees throwing him the football as the number one WR.

What would Colston have done in Denvers run heavy offense with a young, inaccurate Jay Cutler throwing to him.

I dunno, how many plays has Colston broken after catching the ball across the middle???

When folks say Colston is slow, I think back to his rookie year in Carolina--what was it? 70 yd. TD and broke 3-4 tackles?

How many 40+yd. TD has he had in 3 years where he broke tackles? That's not a slow WR who just gets lucky on occasion--that's an extension of Danny A and Eric Martin, maybe even Joe Horn.

He's not slow, I never said that.

He has adequate speed....All I said was that Marshall and Jennings are better athletes...

He has adequate speed....All I said was that Marshall and Jennings are better athletes...

And I'm saying that we disagree--4.3 speed don't make da athlete.

Who was that guy from Miss. Valley State? 4.6+ 40 time, I think.

Not really fast, but played for about 20 years?

Oh yeah, Jerry Rice. ;)

Too bad there were so many better athletes than him, too. ;)

Colston is the better athlete than them, just for the fact that so far he has OUT-PERFORMED them.

If performance isn't the only requirement here, why do we play the games???

According to the press, Chicago and NE will play for the SB every year with NE wining it all the time.

Thank gawd for performance over press clippings and potential. ;)

And I'm saying that we disagree--4.3 speed don't make da athlete.

Who was that guy from Miss. Valley State? 4.6+ 40 time, I think.

Not really fast, but played for about 20 years?

Oh yeah, Jerry Rice. ;)

Too bad there were so many better athletes than him, too. ;)

Colston is the better athlete than them, just for the fact that so far he has OUT-PERFORMED them.

If performance isn't the only requirement here, why do we play the games???

According to the press, Chicago and NE will play for the SB every year with NE wining it all the time.

Thank gawd for performance over press clippings and potential. ;)

You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. By better athlete, I mean that Marshall and Jennings have more physical ability than Colston does. That doesn't mean that they are better players.

Right now, Colston is just as good if not better than both......I'm not trying to insult Colston by comparing him to these two other players.

I just know how here at the Saints fan forum we can be a little biased from time to time. When you're comparing these three recievers, there are things Colston is the best at and things Marshall and Jennings are better at. To me, Marshall and Jennings have more athletic ability than colston. That's all I said.

There are atleast 10 seasons to determine who is the best reciever of the three. My heart tells me that Colston is going to be the best, while my brain tells me Marshall will be the best.

How so?

Colston actually has the better 40 time compared to Brandon Marshall, not Jennings but then again I feel Colstons size makes up for it compared to Jennings. Both Colston and Marshall are 6'4, both weigh about the same, both have the same vertical and the same cone drill stats. Jennings beats both in those measurements except vertical but I think Colstons size nullifies the advantages Jennings has.

Plus as both a Broncos and Saints fan I would give the leg up on Colston when it comes to football smarts on and off the field. So I guess I would say I dont think your assesment is correct in saying both are better athletes than Colston. Also as a fan of both teams I would take Colston before Marshall if the draft was held again today.

Last edited:
You're not understanding what I'm trying to say. By better athlete, I mean that Marshall and Jennings have more physical ability than Colston does. That doesn't mean that they are better players.

Right now, Colston is just as good if not better than both......I'm not trying to insult Colston by comparing him to these two other players.

I just know how here at the Saints fan forum we can be a little biased from time to time. When you're comparing these three recievers, there are things Colston is the best at and things Marshall and Jennings are better at. To me, Marshall and Jennings have more athletic ability than colston. That's all I said.

There are atleast 10 seasons to determine who is the best reciever of the three. My heart tells me that Colston is going to be the best, while my brain tells me Marshall will be the best.

More physical ability doesn't make them better athletes than Colston, especially if Marshall can't kick his MickeyD's slippery bag habit. Of couse, let's see just how athletic Jennings is w/o Brett? ;)

TouchDown Jesus' Team has more 5 star athletes than almost every college FB team in the country--but that doesn't keep them from getting whupped by any team with heart.

Nah, I was just trying to say that Jerry Rice wasn't the "athlete" that many other WRs drafted in front of him were.

But dedication and perseverance made him the greatest athlete playing WR.

I see Colston that way (no homerism at all). He was like Danny A--a cannon fodder draft choice. But both had the work ethic and dedication (like Jerry Rice) to overcome what they might have lacked in talent.

While using Danny A might seem like homerism, but there is no way a Saints fan can be accused of homerism by praising Jerry Rice. (Him, Montana, Lott, Young & Craig are all prime members of any Saints' fan's "I hate them" list. ;)

But I'm not gonna handicap Colston by saying he's only good because of Drew.

Jennings had Brett Favre, da gunslinger. Marshall was the #1 WR for Denver.

Colston had Joe Horn as the #1 most of his first season--but he still shone.

Reggie has almost 200 catches the past 2 years--what would #12's stats be with getting just a third of those 200 catches (not even passes thrown to)?

If Ted Williams had played for the Yankees instead of the Red Sox for 20+ years, how many more MVPs would he have won? How many World Series? Would Marilyn Monroe have married Joe DiMaggio if he'd play for the perennial 2nd place Red Sox?

How so?

Colston actually has the better 40 time compared to Brandon Marshall, not Jennings but then again I feel Colstons size makes up for it compared to Jennings. Both Colston and Marshall are 6'4, both weigh about the same, both have the same vertical and the same cone drill stats. Jennings beats both in those measurements except vertical but I think Colstons size nullifies the advantages Jennings has.

Plus as both a Broncos and Saints fan I would give the leg up on Colston when it comes to football smarts on and off the field. So I guess I would say I dont think your assesment is correct in saying both are better athletes than Colston. Also as a fan of both teams I would take Colston before Marshall if the draft was held again today.

Oh well. We disagree. I watched Marshall quite a bit last season and I saw a guy who could make people miss and accellerate up the field turning nothing in to something. He also has the ability to make plays down the field using his size like Colston does.

Being a Sainta fan I have watched every down Colston has played and he has great timing on his jumps and he controls his body extremely well when he is in air. He's not near Marshall's level when it comes to making people miss and getting YAC, and to me that is because Marshall is a better athlete. He's more agile and he accelerates better than Colston.

Oh well. We disagree. I watched Marshall quite a bit last season and I saw a guy who could make people miss and accellerate up the field turning nothing in to something. He also has the ability to make plays down the field using his size like Colston does.

Being a Sainta fan I have watched every down Colston has played and he has great timing on his jumps and he controls his body extremely well when he is in air. He's not near Marshall's level when it comes to making people miss and getting YAC, and to me that is because Marshall is a better athlete. He's more agile and he accelerates better than Colston.

Have you ever watched Colston play? He makes his living shrugging off defenders and getting YAC.

Have you ever watched Colston play? He makes his living shrugging off defenders and getting YAC.

Most of his catches are because of body positioning and leaping ability. Marshall gets alot of quick passes thrown to him out in the flats where he is one on one with defenders. He makes them miss and gets 10 yards that way. Colston's YAC comes mainly from accurate throws from Brees away from defenders.

I'm not hating on Colston, but I'm just going by what I see. Marshall is more agile and faster and he is about the same size as Marques. Colston doesn't have to catch rocket passes from Cutler all the time, he catches soft well placed lob passes from Brees....Makes things a little easier.

Both are great recievers, but I think Marshall will be better.

Look, they are all very talented guys.

What is the point on arguing about it?

The board is so biased on Saints players, it's not even funny. Yeah, we all know Colsten is a great WR. But so is Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall, Marshall is especially.

Colsten also benefits from having Drew Brees throwing the ball to him, with not too many others to fight for catches.

If Colsten was drafted by a team with a sub-par QB - do you really think he would still be considered elite? I don't.

I think he fits our system very well, we are very lucky to have him, but he's still not one of the 10 best WRs in the league.

Talent wise, there are a nice bunch of WRs that I would take before him. If you just took the opinion of most on this board - you would think he's the best in the NFL.

The point being is that everyone is biased, everyone is a fan of who they get to see play.

Everyone has their own opinion, it's a good thing to have. Deal with it.

Most of his catches are because of body positioning and leaping ability. Marshall gets alot of quick passes thrown to him out in the flats where he is one on one with defenders. He makes them miss and gets 10 yards that way. Colston's YAC comes mainly from accurate throws from Brees away from defenders.

I'm not hating on Colston, but I'm just going by what I see. Marshall is more agile and faster and he is about the same size as Marques. Colston doesn't have to catch rocket passes from Cutler all the time, he catches soft well placed lob passes from Brees....Makes things a little easier.

Both are great recievers, but I think Marshall will be better.

I don't think any of us think that you are hating on Colston, otherwise my lil bro's GF would be in here :dedhrse: your brains out with her #12 jersey. lol

We all know how many times MC takes a short post over the middle and breaks several tackles while taking it for 6, ala Jerry Rice. (YAC)

You keep giving Marshall excuses why he doesn't have Colston's #s, but your las line explains all: "Both are great recievers, but I think Marshall will be better."

Ahhhhh.. Potential vs. reality. ;)

If you'd said Marshall had the potential to be better than Colston--then you wouldn't have caught half the grief we've given you. But that's because we all know that as opposed to potential, Colston's put the skins on the wall already.

No hard feeling or getting mad, we were just trying to figure out your reasoning, ya know?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom