I just had to set people straight (1 Viewer)

Can't really blame them though. Ask those that dis Colston if they've seen any of his games. Most say they've seen the highlights, but that's it. Sure, they might have seen one or two national games, but I doubt they see him week in and week out. They really don't see the play by play things that he does.

I really like Jennings, but Colston is a keeper.

BTW, how is a 7th rounder over rated? And, he's winning the poll too.:9:

Dont' throw stats in front of people. They really hate it because it causes them to not be able to cast their homer vote. :p

In related news, maybe we can draft Jacob Hester in the second round...that is only if Ali Highsmith is already off the board.

They have a valid argument but all three of those guys are right there. Colston has a lot more chances to catch passes in a pass heavy offense. To put it in perspective, the Broncos threw the ball 160 less times than the Saints last year and Brandon Marshall had Jay Cutler throwing him the ball instead of Drew Brees. Marshall had more catches, yards and should have had more TD's if the Broncos would have figured out how to use Marshall in the red zone before the end of the season. All three of those guys are gonig to be beasts for years to come.

I know the argument that Marshall didn't do anything his rookie year will come up but he was behind Rod Smith on the depth chart because of seniority not because of talent and that was blatantly obvious by mid season.

They have a valid argument but all three of those guys are right there. Colston has a lot more chances to catch passes in a pass heavy offense. To put it in perspective, the Broncos threw the ball 160 less times than the Saints last year and Brandon Marshall had Jay Cutler throwing him the ball instead of Drew Brees. Marshall had more catches, yards and should have had more TD's if the Broncos would have figured out how to use Marshall in the red zone before the end of the season. All three of those guys are gonig to be beasts for years to come.

I know the argument that Marshall didn't do anything his rookie year will come up but he was behind Rod Smith on the depth chart because of seniority not because of talent and that was blatantly obvious by mid season.

Just trying to be logical here, but can you really bring in other personnel into the mix on this argument? I mean, San Diego is a run first team, so can you say that Reggie Wayne isn't as good as Vincent Jackson because it's not fair that Jackson plays behind Chris Chambers and Reggie plays on a pass heavy team? I think if you start playing the "if" game you get yourself into a whole heap of trouble. It is what it is, and while the Saints threw the ball 160 times more than the Broncos, Brees is also a "non-favorites" QB. Which means, Brees throws to the open reciever. He doesn't throw it to Colston just because he's Marques Colston. Brees throws it to the open reciever, no matter who you are. Brees is one of the top few qbs in the league when it comes to spreading the ball around, so I am not sure how much the "pass heavy" offense argument comes into play.

Wow some guy said production doesn't even mean you're great. What homers....

I had a thread on here a few weeks back about Colston being a top ten WR in the NFL over his first two years, I gathered the top 16 WR's stats, and Colston was number 7. He was the number one rated rookie of his class. People on this site(saints fans) said stats don't matter. There is no use arguing about his ranking with some people using stats. They just don't get it. They'll all be eating crow in about two years when he's a top 2 WR in the NFL.

Stats do matter. Maybe they should not but they do. When any passed great player is spoken of it is his stats that are remembered. When picking a player for the hall of fame he has to have the stats to back him up. of course having great stats does not get you in, popularity does that.

All three recievers are studs...It's too early to tell who is going to be the best of them all, but to me it's pretty obvious Jennings and Marshall have more physical talent than Colston and they're both better than Colston after the catch. Colston is probably the best route runner and red zone guy out of the three.

It's a toss up, but I'm glad Colston is on our team.

Just trying to be logical here, but can you really bring in other personnel into the mix on this argument? I mean, San Diego is a run first team, so can you say that Reggie Wayne isn't as good as Vincent Jackson because it's not fair that Jackson plays behind Chris Chambers and Reggie plays on a pass heavy team? I think if you start playing the "if" game you get yourself into a whole heap of trouble. It is what it is, and while the Saints threw the ball 160 times more than the Broncos, Brees is also a "non-favorites" QB. Which means, Brees throws to the open reciever. He doesn't throw it to Colston just because he's Marques Colston. Brees throws it to the open reciever, no matter who you are. Brees is one of the top few qbs in the league when it comes to spreading the ball around, so I am not sure how much the "pass heavy" offense argument comes into play.

The fact that you are comparing Vincent Jackson to Reggie Wayne shows just how much you are stretching this. Marshall had more catches and more yards last year than Colston. The Broncos traded away Javon Walker because Marshall was outstanding. The Chargers traded for Chambers because Jackson wasn't getting the job done.

This is no "if" thing. 160 passes is 4 games worth in the NFL and Marshall didn't have the benefit of those plays. Yes, Brees spreads the ball around and is outstanding at doing so but it still doesn't compare.

If you want to put "if" in the equation then which WR will put up better numbers.

A) The WR with Drew Brees as the QB in a wide open offense that throws the ball 50 times a game.

or

B) The WR that has second year QB Jay Cutler throwing the ball in an offense that is designed on running the football and throws the ball 35 times a game?

There is no way you can honestly tell me that the system a WR plays in doesn't significantly impact his stats.

But folks are missing the obvious, too.

Reggie has how many catches the past 2 years? Reggie is just as much as a WR as a RB. He plays ATHLETE.

Between Colston and Reggie, our 2 best rookies from that year have almost 400 catches.

So, is Drew the only reason he has set completion records? Or Colston and Bush? Or maybe we all work well together?

Back to the question, did the chicken or da egg come first?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom