I just have to keep trying to show this (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious, would you take Prince's song, Purple Rain, over Metallica's song, One?
Not sure why you'd compare 2 songs that couldn't be more different. I really like both of them. But they evoke much different feelings when listening to them. I wouldn't take one over the other. They're both great.

Reaction score
Not sure why you'd compare 2 songs that couldn't be more different. I really like both of them. But they evoke much different feelings when listening to them. I wouldn't take one over the other. They're both great.

This was a thread on discussing who the greatest band is. I thought it would be a great question to understand where people's preferences are. Considering the question was directed to someone who said, Prince was the best band, just wanted to see, which water he prefers to drink.

It wouldn't take me two seconds to decide which song is better. Not sure I can totally relate to your answer, but thanks for the response. I honestly would figure you would pick the Metallica song from your previous responses, so this shocked me a little.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it would be a great question to understand where people's preferences are.
Yes, comparing a love song to a song about war. Great question.

It wouldn't take me two seconds to decide which song is better.
You mean which song/type of music you like the best.

One last thing: no one ever accused Kurt Cobain of being a good guitar player, much less a great one, or at the level of Prince.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Comparing Prince and Nirvana now???? That is pretty difficult since they are completely different animals.

FWIW I like Nirvana and I really enjoy Kurt's kind of rough "just the nuts and bolts" guitar style. He had a way of cutting to the heart of a song vocally and with his guitar that really worked and still sounds cool all these years later.

I prefer Nirvana's sound over Prince overall.

But to compare on purely guitar skills??? It isn't even close. Prince would MURDER Cobain in a head to head. And as a live showman as well. Prince was born to be in front of huge crowds. Kurt strikes me as more of a talented Curmudgeon who would prefer not to leave his house.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Comparing Prince and Nirvana now???? That is pretty difficult since they are completely different animals.

FWIW I like Nirvana and I really enjoy Kurt's kind of rough "just the nuts and bolts" guitar style. He had a way of cutting to the heart of a song vocally and with his guitar that really worked and still sounds cool all these years later.

I prefer Nirvana's sound over Prince overall.

But to compare on purely guitar skills??? It isn't even close. Prince would MURDER Cobain in a head to head. And as a live showman as well. Prince was born to be in front of huge crowds. Kurt strikes me as more of a talented Curmudgeon who would prefer not to leave his house.
Agreed, but i'll add a caveat. It's what makes rock and roll so great. It's in the eye of the maker. I will never bash anyones taste. I still can't wrap my head around anyone who has never heard of the Ohio Players.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Agreed, but i'll add a caveat. It's what makes rock and roll so great. It's in the eye of the maker. I will never bash anyones taste. I still can't wrap my head around anyone who has never heard of the Ohio Players.

I haven't until this thread.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I still can't wrap my head around anyone who has never heard of the Ohio Players.

Found out recently that my mom has never heard of Roger Federer.. like, never even heard the name.. Yet, she has heard of Tiger Woods.. and she isnt *that* old, only late 60s... I don’t understand how that’s possible.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't know what this means but OK
It simply means if you want to learn, the power is yours. A simple google search about the Ohio Players will tell you every thing you want to know.

BarBar

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It simply means if you want to learn, the power is yours. A simple google search about the Ohio Players will tell you every thing you want to know.

Ok. I will do it!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom