I just have to keep trying to show this (2 Viewers)

'Stupid' is a poor word choice because it is a value judgment more than just a personal opinion - but I can see how some people find a lot of rap/hip-hop lyrics to sound 'stupid', meaning that they are about base or crass ideas and don't have anything particularly intellectual going on. I think the exact same can be said about a lot of pop and country lyrics. The mainstream stuff on the radio and in the charts is almost always that way (though not always, there are plenty of exceptions).

But like all genres, there is some really intellectual hip-hop out there. The whole "underground" scene (mid-late 90s into the 00s) was founded on thoughtful lyrics detailing the artist's accounts of trying to understand life and the things going on around them. I think that movement made many in the next generation of rappers much more thoughtful, introspective in their lyrics. There are household names (Kanye, Kendrick Lamar, etc.) who have some pretty deep, heady content in their lyrics. The whole sound or presentation may not appeal to everyone, but it certainly isn't 'stupid' by any measure.

Wasn't KRS1 known for being intellectual? I haven't heard to much of his stuff.

Looks like my humor wasn't wasted.

I was tempted to say Nirvana until I saw he misspelled Krist Novoselic's name as "Kris". I don't think a hardcore Nirvana fan would do that.

Got me there, did that on purpose though. Rather not be a hardcore fan, isn't fan short for fanatic? More of a Nirvana enthusiast: Doesn't worship Nirvana, but acknowledges their impact on music.

Zep pound-for-pound may have had the strongest rock band line-up of all time:

Guitar -- Jimmy Page, difficult to say he's not among the top 10 lead guitarists. (Rolling Stone, #3)

Drums -- Bonham, maybe the best ever, although Moon and Peart will have their backers. No way he's not in the top five. (Rolling Stone, #1)

Lead singer -- Plant, for his range, power and delivery, often no. 1 on lists, although Freddie Mercury pops up there, too. In the greatest singers PERIOD list you get a tremendous amount of soul and R&B artists, and Elvis, of course, but I am talking about lead singer (Rolling Stone, #13, but among rock bands behind only McCartney, Lennon and Dylan, and honestly IMO none of those guys has Plant's singing chops. And he was no. 1 in the fan poll FWIW).

Bass -- RS has John Paul Jones at #13, behind only McCartney, Entwhistle and Jack Bruce, although I'd have Chris Squire ahead of the them all. Suffice to say he's holding his own here.

Thoughts welcome.

Yep. End thread./

And here's another question. And this is something I love to talk about. Who is the greatest singer of each band. Let me give you an example. Who's better...bon Scott, or Bryan Johnson. Tommy shaw or Dennis d young. Ozzy or dio. There are many other bands i could name that have had to change singers for whatever reason. Did the music change. It did with acdc. Bon Scott was way better than Bryan Johnson. Ronnie van zant is better than his brother johnny.

Music is what it is. You know a great band when you hear it. I remember hearing its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll, jailbreak, let there be rock, war pigs compared to sign of the southern cross, and so many other changes. You have to look at the big picture. There's so much to music. How can you compare music today to those great old days. I just can't see it. I guess I'm just old. But I'll never change my mind on this. You can't beat the old days.

On an aside....how many of you are old enough to remember the real old days....andy Williams discovered a lot of talent. One band he discovered was the osmonds. Later donny joined them. He came up with songs like puppy love and go away little girl.

That Era back then was unbeatable. Period. I could say petulia Clark and downtown, the 5th demention, the mama's and the Pappas....

Oh well
I like Dio better than Ozzy, at least when it comes to solo stuff. Dont get me wrong i love ozzy but i love Dio just a tad more. Some of Dios early stuff with the Red Cappers and Elf is definitely worth a listen also. Its show cases his great versatility.

Does no one else find it amazing that the greatest era of Rock n Roll just happened to be the time when most of us were teens or preteens and didn’t know **** about music or life but thought we knew everything about music and life?

i mean...what are the odds?!?
But psychologists believe there's a deeper reason why we cling to those pieces of music.
"It is during these formative years that we make many crucial life-changing decisions, initiate significant long-term relationships and establish the cultural and political beliefs which form our identity," cognitive neuropsychologist Dr Catherine Loveday told BBC Radio 3.

Forgot to post the link, but it was from BBC.

Looks like hip-hop rules the charts right now. Punk is in 4th place, not bad.

If you talk to the younger generations, Eminem will most likely be in the discussion.

I’m a Styx fan but saying Tommy Shaw was the best song writer is a joke. Dennis DeYoung wrote nearly all of Styx’s musi. Don Henley and Glen Fry are better that Shaw.

But psychologists believe there's a deeper reason why we cling to those pieces of music.
"It is during these formative years that we make many crucial life-changing decisions, initiate significant long-term relationships and establish the cultural and political beliefs which form our identity," cognitive neuropsychologist Dr Catherine Loveday told BBC Radio 3.

Forgot to post the link, but it was from BBC.

Looks like hip-hop rules the charts right now. Punk is in 4th place, not bad.

If you talk to the younger generations, Eminem will most likely be in the discussion.

It's weird, though. As a teenager I was a hardcore metal head. And while I still listen to metal, my tastes in music have broadened considerably in adulthood.

And yet I know people my age that will readily admit to having stopped seeking out new music a decade ago. Whereas I'm like there's so much music of so many varieties with so much history that I can't imagine not trying to find new (or old but new to me) things to listen to.

And yet I know people my age that will readily admit to having stopped seeking out new music a decade ago. Whereas I'm like there's so much music of so many varieties with so much history that I can't imagine not trying to find new (or old but new to me) things to listen to.

I'm the same way, I can't imagine not listening to new music. I seek it out, I have places where I know to look and I spend quite a bit of time with it. I think I have always sort of been that way - and not to say I don't appreciate the old stuff, or even finding old stuff I haven't listened to before, like you said. My wife is a 70s music junkie, huge Zeppelin, Seger, and Eagles fan - and I'm fine with it, I love it. We often listen to 80s in the car in the morning, or yacht rock on the weekends.

But it's almost like my brain wants new music (research says it does, below) and I just can't voluntarily listen to stuff I already know so well when I'm on my own time. Most of the time you sort through stuff that doesn't suit you and even most new discoveries that you do like enough are fleeting, they don't stick like the long-standing greats. But every now and then you find something you really love . . . and that stays with you and it feels really good.

I'm the same way, I can't imagine not listening to new music. I seek it out, I have places where I know to look and I spend quite a bit of time with it. I think I have always sort of been that way - and not to say I don't appreciate the old stuff, or even finding old stuff I haven't listened to before, like you said. My wife is a 70s music junkie, huge Zeppelin, Seger, and Eagles fan - and I'm fine with it, I love it. We often listen to 80s in the car in the morning, or yacht rock on the weekends.

But it's almost like my brain wants new music (research says it does, below) and I just can't voluntarily listen to stuff I already know so well when I'm on my own time. Most of the time you sort through stuff that doesn't suit you and even most new discoveries that you do like enough are fleeting, they don't stick like the long-standing greats. But every now and then you find something you really love . . . and that stays with you and it feels really good.

When I was mostly dancer/choreographer/dance teacher, I was on constant pursuit for new music

now I’m reading new scripts instead of searching for new music
reading sucks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom