I just have to keep trying to show this (1 Viewer)

David Robbins

Ole Miss Rocks!
Reaction score
the 70s were the greatest Era of music. The greatest musicians came from it. We have all heard about eddie van halen but he's not even the best. Steven Vai is as a guitarist. The best drummer of all time is neil peart from rush. The best bassist of all time was Billy Sheehan. The best song writer was tommy shaw. Nugent probably had the best hard rock song with stranglehold, but the greatest hard rock band was acdc. Soft rock was easily styx. Probably followed by journey, reo, Kansas with songs like hold on and carry on my wayward son, and foreigner (sp my phone keeps changing it).. in southern rock its skynyrd, then bad company, the Allman brothers. Then comes psychedelic rock with pink floyd.

I could go into so much more like the eagles, the doobie brothers, def leopard, bon jovi, three dog night, Santana, skid row, ratt (for 2 albums), judas priest, iron maiden, Metallica, and so many hair bands, scorpions, white snake, damn Yankees, gamma, and so many other great bands of that Era. Zz top. So many other great bands of that time.

I could go into the best love song music like barry white, barry manilow, lionel richie, kenny rogers, cliff richards, David pomeranz, the Manhatens, and so many other great song writers like Chicago.

Most of you aren't old enough to know that great era of music. I haven't even talked about the greatest voices of all time like Karen carpenter, olivia newton john, elvis, Paul rogers, Dennis de young, neil diamond, Barbara Streisand, steely dan....

Most of you have never even listened to this music. I know I'm old fashioned. No one will ever convince me that there is better music than that Era. I just wish people could discover songs like t is for Texas, sign of the southern cross, long train running, blaze of glory, don't you tread on me, pieces of april, gimme three steps, shine on you crazy diamonds, 18 and life, a wanted man, blue collar man, renegade, feel like making love, bohemian rhapsody, faithfully, China Grove, hotel California, lying eyes, strangle hold, enter sandman, sign of the southern cross, heaven and hell, comfortably numb, and so many other great songs from that Era.

There is only one drummer whose music has been sampled more than anyone... Bonham.

Peart may be the most technically gifted, but when it comes to changing music, it's Bonham.

the 70s were the greatest Era of music. The greatest musicians came from it. We have all heard about eddie van halen but he's not even the best. Steven Vai is as a guitarist. The best drummer of all time is neil peart from rush. The best bassist of all time was Billy Sheehan. The best song writer was tommy shaw. Nugent probably had the best hard rock song with stranglehold, but the greatest hard rock band was acdc. Soft rock was easily styx. Probably followed by journey, reo, Kansas with songs like hold on and carry on my wayward son, and foreigner (sp my phone keeps changing it).. in southern rock its skynyrd, then bad company, the Allman brothers. Then comes psychedelic rock with pink floyd.

I could go into so much more like the eagles, the doobie brothers, def leopard, bon jovi, three dog night, Santana, skid row, ratt (for 2 albums), judas priest, iron maiden, Metallica, and so many hair bands, scorpions, white snake, damn Yankees, gamma, and so many other great bands of that Era. Zz top. So many other great bands of that time.

I could go into the best love song music like barry white, barry manilow, lionel richie, kenny rogers, cliff richards, David pomeranz, the Manhatens, and so many other great song writers like Chicago.

Most of you aren't old enough to know that great era of music. I haven't even talked about the greatest voices of all time like Karen carpenter, olivia newton john, elvis, Paul rogers, Dennis de young, neil diamond, Barbara Streisand, steely dan....

Most of you have never even listened to this music. I know I'm old fashioned. No one will ever convince me that there is better music than that Era. I just wish people could discover songs like t is for Texas, sign of the southern cross, long train running, blaze of glory, don't you tread on me, pieces of april, gimme three steps, shine on you crazy diamonds, 18 and life, a wanted man, blue collar man, renegade, feel like making love, bohemian rhapsody, faithfully, China Grove, hotel California, lying eyes, strangle hold, enter sandman, sign of the southern cross, heaven and hell, comfortably numb, and so many other great songs from that Era.
At least you got all the garbage in one post this time. Except for the heaven metal.

Rock and roll (or i should say true rock and roll, which includes it all) spans all the years. Yes, it gets no better than the 70s, but that leaves a lot out. I can name so many great bands. Yes I always talk about the 70s, and it all stems from that Era. Even the hair bands get their basis from that Era. Heavy metal basically started from acdc and sabbath. Same with Metallica. Skynyrd started all the southern rock genre, though free or bad company could get a reprieve on that. I grew up in that Era. Granted, I'm not good with words in expressing myself. I try but I fail short. I know rock and roll and have a true passion for it.

I have left out so many great bands. Ambrosia comes to mind, just as ccr, the doors, johnny cash, survivor, loverboy, and I could name so many more. 70s was the best. No doubt there. Rock and roll died after the mid 90s after kenny Wayne Sheppard and damn Yankees ended their runs. There has really been no rock and roll since then.

And here's another question. And this is something I love to talk about. Who is the greatest singer of each band. Let me give you an example. Who's better...bon Scott, or Bryan Johnson. Tommy shaw or Dennis d young. Ozzy or dio. There are many other bands i could name that have had to change singers for whatever reason. Did the music change. It did with acdc. Bon Scott was way better than Bryan Johnson. Ronnie van zant is better than his brother johnny.

Music is what it is. You know a great band when you hear it. I remember hearing its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll, jailbreak, let there be rock, war pigs compared to sign of the southern cross, and so many other changes. You have to look at the big picture. There's so much to music. How can you compare music today to those great old days. I just can't see it. I guess I'm just old. But I'll never change my mind on this. You can't beat the old days.

On an aside....how many of you are old enough to remember the real old days....andy Williams discovered a lot of talent. One band he discovered was the osmonds. Later donny joined them. He came up with songs like puppy love and go away little girl.

That Era back then was unbeatable. Period. I could say petulia Clark and downtown, the 5th demention, the mama's and the Pappas....

Oh well

It all started with Country and Blues.

eb866445c9bfcc89a77ed31267f5ed2e.jpg

Curious about the distinction being made between rap and hiphop, but that both are labelled as an outgrowth of disco...is pretty accurate.

Curious about the distinction being made between rap and hiphop, but that both are labelled as an outgrowth of disco...is pretty accurate.

Rap is a style of lyrical delivery, hip hop is a genre of music.

You can have rap without hip hop as the rap rock bands of the late 90s unfortunately showed us. You can also have hip hop without rap. But people just conflate the two as a lot of hip hop features rap and vice versa.

Disco pretty clearly came from funk (early disco is just funk with a high bpm), but I think the chart would be more accurate if it showed hip-hop flowing from funk directly, with disco as a branch of funk all it's own.

But I think the early NYC rap groups (like Grandmaster Flash) played the disco clubs in the late 70s. That was the urban/dance club scene and that's where they played - and of course people like Debbie Harry heard it and dabbled with it ("Rapture"). So I suppose those roots are more intertwined in history than they may appear to the ear.

Disco pretty clearly came from funk (early disco is just funk with a high bpm), but I think the chart would be more accurate if it showed hip-hop flowing from funk directly, with disco as a branch of funk all it's own.

But I think the early NYC rap groups (like Grandmaster Flash) played the disco clubs in the late 70s. That was the urban/dance club scene and that's where they played - and of course people like Debbie Harry heard it and dabbled with it ("Rapture"). So I suppose those roots are more intertwined in history than they may appear to the ear.

Hiphop was DJ centered in its beginnings. The "breaks" that DJs would play was basically using 2 turntables to play the same segment of a record repeatedly so the crowd dance to it. People who danced to it were then called break dancers (which btw is term that has since been widely misused). People talking aka rapping over the repetitive beat came later. But back to my point, the records most often used were disco songs. For example, Rapper's Delighted which is considered the first commercial rap song uses (aka sampled) Good Times by Chic.

But to your point, even early on you had earlier DJs start reaching back into funk for inspiration and to create samples but I think that came a little later. Eventually hiphop would draw inspiration from all genres with soul, R&B, blues and jazz being used as well Rock contemporaries.

Last edited:
Most of you aren't old enough to know that great era of music.

Most of you have never even listened to this music.

I think these are two of the most ridiculous things you've ever posted David (and there's a lot to choose from).

The vast majority of EE is late 30s through early 60s, most are mid-40s to mid-50s. Most, if not all, of us know that music. Most, if not all, of us have listened to that music (every single band, every single song you named) many, many times. Most of us spent years or even decades with it - still listen to it.

We have regular discussions about 70s music (along with other music but 70s music is a very popular topic here).

Hiphop was DJ centered in its beginnings. The "breaks" that DJs would play was basically using 2 turntables to play the same segment of a record repeatedly so the crowd dance to it. People who danced to it were then called break dancers (which btw is term that has since been widely misused). People talking aka rapping over the repetitive beat came later. But back to my point, the records most often used were disco songs. For example, Rapper's Delighted which is considered the first commercial rap song uses (aka sampled) Good Times by Chic.

Nile Rodgers is irresistible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom