I just have to keep trying to show this (2 Viewers)

I'm passionate about music, so as much as I poke fun, I totally understand the OP here.

At the same time, I'd be lying of this didn't make me think of some random conversation you walk in on while someone(s) is(are) doing coke in the bathroom. Lol.

Not really, but I like some of the stuff with him in the band....it's his much earlier work with the Dregs and his own band (SMB) that stands out to me.

I've never heard a guitar player that plays so many styles so well (hard rock/metal, jazz/funk, bluegrass, and classical/baroque), of course, unless you are a guitar nut, its boring to most folks....

Might have to hear some of this stuff on YouTube.

Fair enough. What band is the best in your mind?
Honestly, I dont have a best band that really sticks out in my mind. I like a lot of different ones. Metallica is probably my current favorite, but I've never been to any of their concerts. I just never really did the concert thing. I was a heavy metal/hard rock fan and used to watch Headbangers Ball way back when MTV actually played videos.

I would say Prince was the best musician/showman that I can think of. I still frequently watch/listen to his stuff on YouTube. Who really compares to him? Just a great mix of music and fashion styles. Madonna is another one up there imo.

Oddly enough, I really enjoy Bruce Hornsby and the Range. I feel like their music just connects with me.

I've been enjoying Lady Gaga. She's more talented than I ever gave her credit for. I wasn't a fan of the garish looking costumes and stuff, but her music and singing won me over.

Love me some LL Cool J also, sue me, lol.

I enjoy a little bit of everything. So it's hard to pick a best one.

Honestly, I dont have a best band that really sticks out in my mind. I like a lot of different ones. Metallica is probably my current favorite, but I've never been to any of their concerts. I just never really did the concert thing. I was a heavy metal/hard rock fan and used to watch Headbangers Ball way back when MTV actually played videos.

I would say Prince was the best musician/showman that I can think of. I still frequently watch/listen to his stuff on YouTube. Who really compares to him? Just a great mix of music and fashion styles. Madonna is another one up there imo.

Oddly enough, I really enjoy Bruce Hornsby and the Range. I feel like their music just connects with me.

I've been enjoying Lady Gaga. She's more talented than I ever gave her credit for. I wasn't a fan of the garish looking costumes and stuff, but her music and singing won me over.

Love me some LL Cool J also, sue me, lol.

I enjoy a little bit of everything. So it's hard to pick a best one.

I knew you like Metallica.

I once worked with someone who talked on and on about Prince, than I mentioned Flavor Flav. Apparently he can play a few instruments himself. My co-worker scoffed at that idea that Flavor Flav had any talent compared to Prince.

Lady Gaga has a great cover of Dyer Maker on YouTube.

Momma said, knock you out is a good song.

I would not scoff at the idea that he can play other instruments but if you are comparing to Prince, yea there is no talent for that comparison. At least here is one point that can’t be disputed

Flavor Flav knows what time it is, that's all I got. This isn't my fight, just brought it up for discussion.

1622912001535.png

Thanks for sharing, I'm pretty sure this thread is gonna end in a draw. Everyone has drastically different tastes generally.

The Dregs audience and fans is made up of a lot of musicians, when they play here locally (which sadly is not often anymore due to Morse having so many projects and the DP gig) I always go with some old friends that I used to live with that still play in a band. And they know a lot of the local musicians there, which is cool....

Not a judgement, or a good or bad thing, but if you aren't a musician their music probably is boring. If you are, it's like OMG!!!!

Is there an argument that he isn’t?
he can do everything your garage band guys can do and that can’t come close to what he can do, so....???

I'm open to discussion, but saying Nirvana is a garage band is hardly fair. I heard they practiced at a beauty salon on the off hours, before going big.

The Dregs audience and fans is made up of a lot of musicians, when they play here locally (which sadly is not often anymore due to Morse having so many projects and the DP gig) I always go with some old friends that I used to live with that still play in a band. And they know a lot of the local musicians there, which is cool....

Not a judgement, or a good or bad thing, but if you aren't a musician their music probably is boring. If you are, it's like OMG!!!!

To each his own. I'm working on a demo right now, got the drum tracks recorded, just have to get motivated, and get going.

I think our musical influences or a least a generation a part. I like Black Sabbath though.

I used to only identify Gaga with her meat dress (which is another Halloween costume I did), and would generally dismiss her without really ever listening to her. I don't identify with her as I don't identify with most creative types, but her talent is true and deep. You can't not respect that and I don't think she's nearly as quirky as we were lead to believe. I just think she's extremely savvy.

Oh...thanks for asking....the venerable Steve Morse.....
I first saw Steve Morse as a solo artist at Tip's without knowing the Dixie Dregs. Absolutely the best picking hand I had ever seen and he had such great feel. Special player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom