I just have to keep trying to show this (2 Viewers)

I'm open to discussion, but saying Nirvana is a garage band is hardly fair. I heard they practiced at a beauty salon on the off hours, before going big.
for the sake of argument we can cede that 'garage band' is a broad enough term to include 'beauty salon band' as well

"Rock and roll died after the mid 90's....." Same time Kurt died.

The best drummer of all time would be John Bonham and the best bassist would be Michael Peter Balzary, better known as Flea....Giving Kris Novoselic a quick salute as well. Best rock drummer would be David Grohl. As far as best guitarist, going with Kurt Cobain (I know it's not popular vote), but would also give credit to Tom Morello, the guitarist from Rage Against the Machine, he had a sound all his own.

There is a lot of great music from different era's, but thanks for pointing the spotlight on the 70's. It definitely made me think a little bit. I have a new found respect for the 70's, but am partial to the sounds of late 80's and early 90's. I have great respect for musicians in different generations though.

This is thread number 3, that pretty much says, the same thing. Do you think your point was made, or do you think, if you do the same thing over and over, a different result will happen?

I actually like Nirvana, but Cobain was a hack of a guitar player. The sound was largely copied from the Melvins, so he wasn't really a pioneer in that department. And he didn't have the technique or polish of much better players. But kudos to them for turning an unpopular sound into one that defined the early to mid 90s rock and even pop to some extent.

for the sake of argument we can cede that 'garage band' is a broad enough term to include 'beauty salon band' as well

Where did Prince Rodgers Nelson practice at?

I didn't see Nirvana on the list, can you help me find it.

Wikipedia shows that Nirvana is Grunge, Alternative Rock, or Hard Rock genre.

Garage band definition: an amateur rock band typically holding its rehearsals in a garage and usually having only a local audience.

Don't see how Nirvana would meet the definition of a garage band, since they had reached an international stage and were paid professionally as a group.

Your right never heard of him. Quick search leads me to believe, you are a big Deep Purple fan.

Like Michael Jackson Bad?
Once again, musical taste is in the eye of the beholder. The Ohio Players were hard core funk which I loved. Michael Jackson was a king of Pop which I didn't. It's not a knock on you, but choices in music are selective. I'd put Michael in the same category as Elvis. Imo, The best work by Elvis was Gospel. I like what I like. I will never claim to be on the same wave length as musical geniuou's

I actually like Nirvana, but Cobain was a hack of a guitar player. The sound was largely copied from the Melvins, so he wasn't really a pioneer in that department. And he didn't have the technique or polish of much better players. But kudos to them for turning an unpopular sound into one that defined the early to mid 90s rock and even pop to some extent.

I think their Bleach Album was influenced by The Melvins, but Kurt ripped many artists on Nevermind.

Kurt wasn't a hack on guitar, people forget he sang as well. Not sure if people know this or not, but it's incredibly difficult to sing and play guitar. His vocals plus guitar playing puts him in a class all his own. Name a singer/songwriter/guitar player that even comes close to his intensity. Before you answer, think about his vocals, then think about his guitar playing.....You might have to think about it again and again. Are you gonna mention Prince Rodger Nelson?

Kurt's scream was ferocious and it's laughable when people try to mimic it. I think Kim Shattuck is probably the closest thing to Kurt's howling vocals.

Last edited:
Where did Prince Rodgers Nelson practice at?

I didn't see Nirvana on the list, can you help me find it.

Wikipedia shows that Nirvana is Grunge, Alternative Rock, or Hard Rock genre.

Garage band definition: an amateur rock band typically holding its rehearsals in a garage and usually having only a local audience.

Don't see how Nirvana would meet the definition of a garage band, since they had reached an international stage and were paid professionally as a group.
I think you’re taking it more seriously than intended- ‘garage band’ was shorthand for adolescent rock

Once again, musical taste is in the eye of the beholder. The Ohio Players were hard core funk which I loved. Michael Jackson was a king of Pop which I didn't. It's not a knock on you, but choices in music are selective. I'd put Michael in the same category as Elvis. Imo, The best work by Elvis was Gospel. I like what I like. I will never claim to be on the same wave length as musical geniuou's

So, The Ohio Players is the best band of all time in your mind?

I referenced Michal Jackson Bad as a comparison to that particular post. Was really a joke in reference to Bad is Good, and Good is Bad.

I liked Johnny Cash's gospel albums. They are extremely good.

Honestly, I dont have a best band that really sticks out in my mind. I like a lot of different ones. Metallica is probably my current favorite, but I've never been to any of their concerts. I just never really did the concert thing. I was a heavy metal/hard rock fan and used to watch Headbangers Ball way back when MTV actually played videos.

I would say Prince was the best musician/showman that I can think of. I still frequently watch/listen to his stuff on YouTube. Who really compares to him? Just a great mix of music and fashion styles. Madonna is another one up there imo.

Oddly enough, I really enjoy Bruce Hornsby and the Range. I feel like their music just connects with me.

I've been enjoying Lady Gaga. She's more talented than I ever gave her credit for. I wasn't a fan of the garish looking costumes and stuff, but her music and singing won me over.

Love me some LL Cool J also, sue me, lol.

I enjoy a little bit of everything. So it's hard to pick a best one.
I've seen Metallica three times live.

Ocean of people. Wall of sound. Lots of fire. Haha.

. I'd put Michael in the same category as Elvis. Imo geniuou's
Aw man I REALLY want to argue this point, but don’t have one right now
...huh!...
MTV is to Michael as Ed Sullivan is to Elvis
Michael is clearly vastly more talented, but in terms of cultural impact, this is a very interesting comparison

I think you’re taking it more seriously than intended- ‘garage band’ was shorthand for adolescent rock

Seems like you are redefining the term garage band. Adolescents don't listen to Prince Rodgers Nelson? So, is Prince strictly for middle aged people who like pop rock?

We have to at least find what we are comparing, before we move on. You started off labeling Nirvana as a "garage band", and I pretty much countered that. So, how would you define Prince, so we can find a level playing field.

I see it as, we are comparing hard rock vs pop rock in general terms.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom