I just have to keep trying to show this (3 Viewers)

You to Marsha? I didn't even know the band existed, since yesterday.
So you don't know the story that used to go around about this song? For years it was said that in the background of this song, you could heard the scream of an actual woman getting murdered.

Seems like you are redefining the term garage band. Adolescents don't listen to Prince Rodgers Nelson? So, is Prince strictly for middle aged people who like pop rock?

We have to at least find what we are comparing, before we move on. You started off labeling Nirvana as a "garage band", and I pretty much countered that. So, how would you define Prince, so we can find a level playing field.

I see it as, we are comparing hard rock vs pop rock in general terms.
No you took my garage band thing as specifically about Nirvana - I did no such thing
‘garage band’ was just my catchall for basic rock that is the expression for teen male angst/hope - the type that would be played by kids in their parents’s garage

So you don't know the story that used to go around about this song? For years it was said that in the background of this song, you could heard the scream of an actual woman getting murdered.

It turns out it was the keyboardist, right? I read a tad-bit about it. Did they make the radio, were they huge?

No you took my garage band thing as specifically about Nirvana - I did no such thing
‘garage band’ was just my catchall for basic rock that is the expression for teen male angst/hope - the type that would be played by kids in their parents’s garage

Do you want to get passed the garage label? How would you define Prince Rodgers Nelson's music? I said, it was pop rock in general terms, would you agree?

To each his own. I'm working on a demo right now, got the drum tracks recorded, just have to get motivated, and get going.

I think our musical influences or a least a generation a part. I like Black Sabbath though.

I don't think it is strictly generational, I have friends my age that really dig Nirvana and punk music in general. I think it also a sound you just like type of thing....

I first saw Steve Morse as a solo artist at Tip's without knowing the Dixie Dregs. Absolutely the best picking hand I had ever seen and he had such great feel. Special player.

Then you probably also saw Dave LaRue on bass, that is one tight trio....
Garage bands are the best bands.

Agreed....

I think you’re taking it more seriously than intended- ‘garage band’ was shorthand for adolescent rock

When Pat Metheny started the Pat Metheny group he labeled them a garage band, so it actually transcends genres....and yes, it's because he said so!!!

Aw man I REALLY want to argue this point, but don’t have one right now
...huh!...
MTV is to Michael as Ed Sullivan is to Elvis
Michael is clearly vastly more talented, but in terms of cultural impact, this is a very interesting comparison

Chuck Berry was more talented than both of them IMO. Michael Jackson and Elvis were entertainers not really musicians. Jackson wrote songs but most of his popular ones were written by someone else, Elvis never wrote songs really and neither played an instrument....Chuck did it all and invented rock in the process....

It's weird, though. As a teenager I was a hardcore metal head. And while I still listen to metal, my tastes in music have broadened considerably in adulthood.

And yet I know people my age that will readily admit to having stopped seeking out new music a decade ago. Whereas I'm like there's so much music of so many varieties with so much history that I can't imagine not trying to find new (or old but new to me) things to listen to.

There is so much music I don't even have time to discover it all. I have soooo many things on playlists for a year or more before I ever find time to listen to them.

Anyone who says music isn't quality anymore is only listening to the radio. The good music isnt found there anymore. But there is more great stuff out there than ever before.

Do you want to get passed the garage label? How would you define Prince Rodgers Nelson's music? I said, it was pop rock in general terms, would you agree?
i'm not sure i would ever use 'pop' as a description/genre of music since it's way over broad
i would categorize Prince music as Prince Music - while he clearly has elements from James Brown and Jimi and Parliment i'm not sure he's a descendant of anyone - and off the top of my head I can only think of Jamiroquai as a band picking up the mantle

but to try a label? post-funk? acid funk? psychedlic blues funk?

It turns out it was the keyboardist, right? I read a tad-bit about it. Did they make the radio, were they huge?
Yep, total urban legend. But I kinda sorta believed it at the time. I mos def remember hearing it on the radio.

Yep, total urban legend. But I kinda sorta believed it at the time. I mos def remember hearing it on the radio.

Do you remember the ghost in 3 men and a baby??? Thanks to HD I have finally figured out what it was....and it is so stupid haha. You can see what it is clear as day in Disney plus. Back in the day we used to try and freeze the frame on the VHS and find the dead boy....lol.

Do you remember the ghost in 3 men and a baby??? Thanks to HD I have finally figured out what it was....and it is so stupid haha. You can see what it is clear as day in Disney plus. Back in the day we used to try and freeze the frame on the VHS and find the dead boy....lol.
but the Rod Stewart story was totally legit, no?

They were very huge in the mid 70's. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah. Things were so much better before HD. lol!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom