I know, I know, it was only the 1st preseason game, BUT... (1 Viewer)

Please provide some evidence contradicting my view. Believe me when i say I welcome any evidence contradicting my view of the defense. who had an exceptional play on defense? Who stood out? Name any big play, or combination of little plays by any defender from the Saints first game. Then tell me that degree of effort will enhance this team's ability to have a winning season, much less be in position to play for a championship.
I'm more than satisfied that I have presented all the evidence required, thank you. I refute utterly the fallacy that preseason failure begets regular season failure, and I will see you when the games count.

I'm more than satisfied that I have presented all the evidence required, thank you. I refute utterly the fallacy that preseason failure begets regular season failure, and I will see you when the games count.
Your opinion based on nothing does not evidence make. Do you think I enjoyed writing about us stinking it up on defense. I kept it as general as I could to avoid picking on certain people as much as possible. I'm still waiting for anyone to name a single great play we mad on defense. even the fumble recovery was only because they're player failed to secure the ball on his own.t here wasn't a single hand on the guy when he coughed it up.

Actually, recent evidence suggests otherwise.

In the Jake Delhomme thread...……...even after I proved to you that the game-time temp was 45 degrees, you stubbornly insisted that the Ravens and Saints played that 2002 game in the snow. Only after I posted the YouTube video to the game (showing the exact same amount of snow as any part of Louisiana has on the ground right now) did you quietly choose to disappear and drop the subject.

You also tried to say that the Ravens started off as "double digit favorites" in that game, even though evidence shows that the Saints were 2 point favorites. You cited the "uncertainty about Jake" being the reason for the Ravens originally starting off with that line. So think about what you said...……...if the Ravens were - 10 (you didn't specifically state the number, you just said "double digits"....so I'll go with the lowest double-digit line possible)………….then somehow jumped to Saints - 2...……….you're saying Aaron Brooks was worth 12 additional points to Vegas. Even Drew Brees being out wouldn't move a line to that extent.
How about referring to this game old buddy. For the sake of this year let's leave 2 decades ago ion the past for now.

Your opinion based on nothing does not evidence make. Do you think I enjoyed writing about us stinking it up on defense. I kept it as general as I could to avoid picking on certain people as much as possible. I'm still waiting for anyone to name a single great play we mad on defense. even the fumble recovery was only because they're player failed to secure the ball on his own.t here wasn't a single hand on the guy when he coughed it up.
You're pretty desperate for an argument. It's not my job to give you one.

OP is right here. Preseason matters when it comes to evaluating players and the team. The score doesn't matter. If the siants play exactly how they played friday and won the game somehow I would draw the same conclusions.

This is why the lions going undefeated in preseason and then losing all games doesn't matter. I only matter to evaluate how they won those games, how they played in those preseason games. I'm sure if you analyze like this you could draw a lot of conclusions about how they would do in the regular season.

Also, someone said the saints played 2's and 3's most of the time while the vikings played starters, but that's not true. They played their starters as much as the saints. The saints had their starters for 2 or 3 drives on offense and 2 or 3 on defense. The same for the vikings, except for starter QB in the first drive.

I don't know whats the rush for some guys to come trash OP when he brings good points. It's not like he is overreacting and saying the sky is falling. He is just evaluating how the saints players did in this preseason game.

I don't know whats the rush for some guys to come trash OP when he brings good points. It's not like he is overreacting and saying the sky is falling. He is just evaluating how the saints players did in this preseason game.
Pretty much this. I think the OPs assessment was pretty accurate and didn't seem to be pushing a hard conclusion. At the end of the day, Minnesota looked very crisp and the Saints were not as sharp. A reason to panic? Absolutely not, and I didn't get the feeling the OP was going there.

I don't care about the final score. What concerns me is how the Vikings 1st string O shredded our 1st string D (minus Cam Jordan)

I don't care about the final score. What concerns me is how the Vikings 1st string O shredded our 1st string D (minus Cam Jordan)
No Cam Jordan, but also no game planning (including next to no blitz packages). This vastly changes the dynamic of a football game.

There's a story about how the ol' ball coach Steve Spurrier decided his Washington team was going to 'win' the preseason building in his first year as HC. A renowned offensive guru at the college level, he game planned (which teams barely do at all for these games) and he played his 1s for long stretches (again contrary to the custom of every team pretty much forever). The team passed the ball a large proportion of each game, as Spurrier focused on getting their quarterbacks, receivers and blockers in sync.

The result was Washington went 4-1 in preseason, building up large margins of victory, repping their starters extensively against the backups of other teams, no doubt 'getting into rhythm' and 'building momentum' etc ready for the regular season.

When the regular season arrived, the Redskins took their first game 31-23 with a decent offensive showing. But that's where the positive momentum ended, as the team eked out a 7-9 record, limping in with the 25th ranked scoring offense. Not so 'in sync' after all.

Spurrier made it through one more season of his five year contract (going 5-11) before quitting the NFL altogether.

So:
Playing your starters more in preseason ≠ better results in the regular season.
Game planning in preseason ≠ more wins in the regular season.
Going 4-1 in preseason ≠ being a playoff team.

But hey, those are just my conclusions.

No Cam Jordan, but also no game planning (including next to no blitz packages). This vastly changes the dynamic of a football game.

There's a story about how the ol' ball coach Steve Spurrier decided his Washington team was going to 'win' the preseason building in his first year as HC. A renowned offensive guru at the college level, he game planned (which teams barely do at all for these games) and he played his 1s for long stretches (again contrary to the custom of every team pretty much forever). The team passed the ball a large proportion of each game, as Spurrier focused on getting their quarterbacks, receivers and blockers in sync.

The result was Washington went 4-1 in preseason, building up large margins of victory, repping their starters extensively against the backups of other teams, no doubt 'getting into rhythm' and 'building momentum' etc ready for the regular season.

When the regular season arrived, the Redskins took their first game 31-23 with a decent offensive showing. But that's where the positive momentum ended, as the team eked out a 7-9 record, limping in with the 25th ranked scoring offense. Not so 'in sync' after all.

Spurrier made it through one more season of his five year contract (going 5-11) before quitting the NFL altogether.

So:
Playing your starters more in preseason ≠ better results in the regular season.
Game planning in preseason ≠ more wins in the regular season.
Going 4-1 in preseason ≠ being a playoff team.

But hey, those are just my conclusions.

The saints played their starters as mush as the Vikings did.

Nobody cares about the score or the preseason record as stated before in this thread.

Nobody game plan for preseason. You are speaking like the Vikings game planned but the Saints didn't and this is why the Vikings were better. Neither team game planned. Saints' defense simply lost their 1 on 1 battles against the vikings. For the Saints to do well in the regular season they need to win their one on one battles.

The saints played their starters as mush as the Vikings did.

Nobody cares about the score or the preseason record as stated before in this thread.

Nobody game plan for preseason. You are speaking like the Vikings game planned but the Saints didn't and this is why the Vikings were better. Neither team game planned. Saints' defense simply lost their 1 on 1 battles against the vikings. For the Saints to do well in the regular season they need to win their one on one battles.
Football at this level is not won by one on one battles alone. It also relies on game planning to put the right player in the right place at the right time to make a difference. So by not game planning in preseason, you are playing a different game to the regular season. By logical extension, the end result of the two will be different, not the same.

But I appreciate that may fail to convince you.

*sigh*

We do this every year.

For a team with new coaches, systems, etc., preseason exists to get people familiar with the offense, defense and work on timing. For a team like the Saints, preseason exists for players who will receive no playing or practice time during the regular season so they can be evaluated. That's it. There is no other reason for any Saints starter to even play a single snap. No starting NFL player should ever be judged on their playing time during the preseason because no one on the field gives a **** except those handful of guys fighting for those last 5 roster spots.

I recall Jammal Brown's first year as a starter. In the preseason, he looked like complete and total ****. He couldn't block anything for ****. As soon as the regular season started, he stoned everyone.

No one gives a **** about preseason.

Move along...

I agree to an extent, I am just tired of the 1st or 1st and 2nd or even sometimes 1st, 2nd and 3rd games of the season we just totally sheet the bed for some weird reason because we look unprepared.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom