I know, I know, it was only the 1st preseason game, BUT... (2 Viewers)

I agree to an extent, I am just tired of the 1st or 1st and 2nd or even sometimes 1st, 2nd and 3rd games of the season we just totally shirt the bed for some weird reason because we look unprepared.
It's because they are unprepared. They're not game planning to beat Minnesota. They're interested in getting looks at certain players who normally would not see the field. who would be playing a different position, etc vs Minnesota if this was a real game.

It's because they are unprepared. They're not game planning to beat Minnesota. They're interested in getting looks at certain players who normally would not see the field. who would be playing a different position, etc vs Minnesota if this was a real game.
You're right. And it's exactly those looks that have me worried right about now. because every single look I got from a Saints defender was him on his butt, or completely out of the play, or trailing a running back, or wide receiver for a monster gainer. And it's those looks that anyone who has any sense about what they are seeing will say, hey guys it's nice that you have the snowball truck & the ice cream truck. But you look fat, sloppy, & completely out of shape while almost all of theirs are out running almost all of yours & making you look fat, lazy, sloppy, & terrible. And I still don't recall mentioning a score, or who won, or lost.

Football at this level is not won by one on one battles alone. It also relies on game planning to put the right player in the right place at the right time to make a difference. So by not game planning in preseason, you are playing a different game to the regular season. By logical extension, the end result of the two will be different, not the same.

But I appreciate that may fail to convince you.

It is not won by one on one battles alone but winning those battles is also a part of winning games. Playing terrible in preseason is not the end of everything, but how the players do in preseason is not meaningless to how they will perform in the real games.

Judging football teams playing without a game plan is like judging a sandwich without the filling. It's not going to tell you how the sandwich will actually taste.

But to each their own, enjoy the preseason.

Minnesota also played their 1s more where we played mostly 3s and 4s with a sprinkling of 2s. Did we even have any 1s out? Someone with more knowledge dissected it better than me so feel free to correct or confirm.
That would make me feel better,but how do u know, the Vikings mostly use their 1s and 2s the entire game?

Judging football teams playing without a game plan is like judging a sandwich without the filling. It's not going to tell you how the sandwich will actually taste.

But to each their own, enjoy the preseason.

But at least it will tell if the bread is any good.

Good Lord.... first preseason game and the sky is falling already!!

Effort or not I'm quite sure that the coaching staff knows what the starters are capable of.

If the same result happens when the real bullets start flying then we'll have a reason to be concerned.

Good Lord.... first preseason game and the sky is falling already!!

Effort or not I'm quite sure that the coaching staff knows what the starters are capable of.

If the same result happens when the real bullets start flying then we'll have a reason to be concerned.

Nobody said the sky was falling. You and the others are just saying it to discredit a very good thread that could open a good discussion about how the saints did in their first preseason game.

Nobody said the sky was falling. You and the others are just saying it to discredit a very good thread that could open a good discussion about how the saints did in their first preseason game.

Well it's pretty much what it came down to when the OP in a later post challenged anyone to come up with one shred of proof that the defensive effort was acceptable. I think with a game plan in place the coaching staff is very confident in what this defense is capable of.

It was the FIRST preseason game....nothing more and nothing less. Anyone who is expecting to see mid season form from the first preseason game is kidding themselves. You will never see the same effort in a meaningless game from the starters.

Well it's pretty much what it came down to when the OP in a later post challenged anyone to come up with one shred of proof that the defensive effort was acceptable. I think with a game plan in place the coaching staff is very confident in what this defense is capable of.

It was the FIRST preseason game....nothing more and nothing less. Anyone who is expecting to see mid season form from the first preseason game is kidding themselves. You will never see the same effort in a meaningless game from the starters.
Okay, we have nothing to worry about. We know how infuego the Saints are when starting the season because they do nothing to get ready during the preseason. That's pretty much what I'm hearing. Well, let's see how that translates to game one, two, & three of this year.

Okay, we have nothing to worry about. We know how infuego the Saints are when starting the season because they do nothing to get ready during the preseason. That's pretty much what I'm hearing. Well, let's see how that translates to game one, two, & three of this year.

Oh you mean like in 2017 when they started 8-2 and won the division?......Or was it 2018 when they started 10-1 and again won the division?

You are right about one thing though...………..based on what I saw from Friday nights game I'm not that concerned going forward.

This is a very talented and very well coached Saints team...…….they may be the best Saints team we've ever seen so I'm not really concerned about a glorified scrimmage.

The players and the coaching staff know how to and when to "flip the switch" and I have every confidence that they will when the time comes.

You're right. And it's exactly those looks that have me worried right about now. because every single look I got from a Saints defender was him on his butt, or completely out of the play, or trailing a running back, or wide receiver for a monster gainer. And it's those looks that anyone who has any sense about what they are seeing will say, hey guys it's nice that you have the snowball truck & the ice cream truck. But you look fat, sloppy, & completely out of shape while almost all of theirs are out running almost all of yours & making you look fat, lazy, sloppy, & terrible. And I still don't recall mentioning a score, or who won, or lost.
They didn't look fat, sloppy or out of shape. They looked like a team that didn't game plan to beat the Vikings. The fact that Drew Brees' never set foot on the field should tell you how seriously the team took this game.

The game was entertaining and it was awesome to see the Saints.

#deepthoughtsaboutpreseasongame1

Here you go on preseason.

Saints averaged 13 PPG in preseason.

Saints averaged 28 PPG in the season

It’s preseason,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom