I know, I know, it was only the 1st preseason game, BUT... (1 Viewer)

Oh you mean like in 2017 when they started 8-2 and won the division?......Or was it 2018 when they started 10-1 and again won the division?

You are right about one thing though...………..based on what I saw from Friday nights game I'm not that concerned going forward.

This is a very talented and very well coached Saints team...…….they may be the best Saints team we've ever seen so I'm not really concerned about a glorified scrimmage.

The players and the coaching staff know how to and when to "flip the switch" and I have every confidence that they will when the time comes.
Well the defense better start showing some of that talent, or this schedule will eat them alive. And there are gonna be a lot of heart broke fans on this board. I don;t like writing this AT ALL! But I'm not gonna lie to myself & say I didn't see what I just saw. And if this is the only time I have to write about it this year, that will be fine with me. And ALL the geniuses who always bit the apple can say I was wrong. And I hope I'm wrong. And I believe I'm wrong as well. But they better pick up the pace defensively, or this will continue.

Here's the deal:

The starting defense was missing Jordan and also shuffled the d-line around quite a bit.
Our starting defense gave up a 3rd down that should have (and would have) been a sack with the starting defense on the field.
Apple gave up a passing TD that 9 times out of 10 is an incomplete. Perfect throw, amazing catch.

Our defense is a read and react, they almost always give up the opening drive and then settle down and becoming a shut down defense in the 2nd half of games.

After the starters were taken out, PRob was put on the outside and showed why he should never be playing as an outside corner. They attacked him over and over again and with backups playing on the starting d-line, we had journeymen playing on the 2nd string, which is why you had long runs.

Definitely stuff to learn from and get better at, but nothing to get worked up about.

Bridgewater showed a lot of growth from year 1 to 2 here and that's really what you wanted to see.

Yeah it WAS only the 1st preseason game! I wasn’t worried about winning the game, or how we played. I jus wanted us to come away healthy, along with getting a chance to see a number of new players in live action.
Take Erik McCoy, for example. Good O line play is critical to this team’s success. With the departure of Unger, the Saints didn’t move up for McCoy to be a “developmental player”. They drafted him to be their STARTER at C! He still has work to do, but for his first game, thru 28 snaps, he played pretty dang well!

I hoping for pretty much the same again this week, AND that we jus clean up a few things from last week.

NFL.com has snap counts for preseason games available, usually an hour or two after the game. Go to scores at NFL.com, go to the game, click on game book. That gives you a PDF with a ton of info about the game, including snap counts. Snap counts are on the final page or two. If you get the PDF before they load snap counts, just keep it open , go back later and hit refresh.

That would allow you to see if it was 1s vs 1s and so forth.

NFL.com has snap counts for preseason games available, usually an hour or two after the game. Go to scores at NFL.com, go to the game, click on game book. That gives you a PDF with a ton of info about the game, including snap counts. Snap counts are on the final page or two. If you get the PDF before they load snap counts, just keep it open , go back later and hit refresh.

That would allow you to see if it was 1s vs 1s and so forth.
Thanks for the info. I will check it out. But now I'm done with my observations/ complaints/beaches. But one last parting shot if I may. I wonder how those folks who just thought I was panicking, or complaining, didn't manage to take note of my positive observations of the offense minus the sloppy bad penalties & my remarks about the great special teams play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom