I know that we have a Corona Virus thread... But... (1 Viewer)

Thanks Hump... This is incredible... And the country cannot even unite against a common enemy...

They keep telling us to stay home if we don;t feel well... But is that for us and the benefit of the sick? or the other Americans not infected?

At the rate things are going... I would not be surprised to see us getting close to Martial Law... I think that maybe if this crisis is on a limited scale of time... As in we beat the virus, warm weather helps kill it.. We will be ok... But if it lingers.. We may be in for some real problems...
Bad news Joe, Warm weather doesn't kill it. Warm weather killing it is wishful thinking/disinformation from Trump. The proof is Tom Hanks and his wife, they are in Australia where it is Summer time. This is the official Covid-19 map we are supposed to use for work if we have to travel, please note worldwide the number of cases from warmer locations.

As for the stay home if you are sick, that is for the benefit of uninfected Americans to reduce the spread of the virus. Folks are also much more likely to rest and recover faster if they stay home in bed and don't get out and about. It will linger, it is a real problem. I am not sure if Trump would go so far as to institute martial law though, that would keep people away from his golf courses.

All of this, plus the historic drop in the stock market this week, has the country shellshocked. Once communication & media normalize next week, and things start to fall back into a groove, you'll see optimism come back in the normal conversation. People will get excited about things getting back to the old normal. Maybe its a couple weeks instead of 1. No idea.

In my entire life, I have never seen anything like what is happening right now...

Late night TV shows with no audience.
All Professional and College sports cancelled
Broadway cancelled
Schools Cancelled
Concerts cancelled
Parades Cancelled
Festivals Cancelled
Store shelves emptied
Travel to and from the USA closed
Wall Street sellouts..
Restaurants Empty and closing, some for good
Almost mass hysteria.
The loss of revenues alone is staggering.
Toilet paper shortages...
Americans told to stay indoors and not go to work if you are sick.

I can't even think what to compare this to..

Will the mail still be delivered? Packages?
Food to the stores, Gas to the gas stations?
Will Movie Theaters be closed?, or empty?

This is beyond amazing and something that I wonder how it be looked back upon..
Is this the Black Plaque for us, a mutated virus that's common to man, or an overblown media event?

Is this a wakeup call for mankind and us as humans globally?

So much to think about... I don't know if I can even explain it... But I have never seen anything like this ever.

Does anyone see where I am coming from and maybe why I didn't put this on the virus thread. Amazing.. It's almost incomprehensible.

I wonder what the world will be like tomorrow when I take my mother out for Lunch on her 77 Birthday...

They better not stop the mail. Isn't their motto pretty much nothing will stop us from delivering the mail?

To me, the issue doesn't warrant the drastic reactions we are seeing. People are out on all sorts of media throwing around misinformation, sensationalism, political spin, doomsday projections... you need to navigate through a lot of stuff to come to some valid information.

And I am not saying it isn't a serious matter, not at all. But I think we are overreacting to it.
The "don't panic, it'll all go away" crowd think when things like this eventually do resolve, it just happens. Wrong. It happens because people make drastic changes necessary to create the resolution. Social distancing and cancellation of major events, schools, etc. are all "drastic" measures that will have an immeasurable positive impact on the final outcome.

It's important to listen to the real experts. One of the best quotes I've seen thus far: "If you think there is a shortage of toilet paper and hand sanitizer, just wait until you see the shortage of doctors."

To me, the issue doesn't warrant the drastic reactions we are seeing. People are out on all sorts of media throwing around misinformation, sensationalism, political spin, doomsday projections... you need to navigate through a lot of stuff to come to some valid information.

And I am not saying it isn't a serious matter, not at all. But I think we are overreacting to it.
I am curious as to why you feel it's an over-reaction? Do you not believe the medical professionals who have explained how it is spread?

Voluntarily shutting things down now exerts at least some control over the virus. Waiting until it has spread to thousands of people in a country woefully under-prepared for testing, treatment and vaccines before taking steps is just dumb. Erring on the side of caution is obviously the prudent choice as the people who stand to lose millions in revenue have so aptly pointed out by their actions.

All of this, plus the historic drop in the stock market this week, has the country shellshocked. Once communication & media normalize next week, and things start to fall back into a groove, you'll see optimism come back in the normal conversation. People will get excited about things getting back to the old normal. Maybe its a couple weeks instead of 1. No idea.
Communication and the media from our leaders haven't been normal in 4 years. Why do you think that's about to change?

Communication and the media from our leaders haven't been normal in 4 years. Why do you think that's about to change?
When they get back to hosting live shows with audiences, and when the virus counts are not the lead story on every news cast.

Those who say the dangers are being exaggerated would have us believe China would quarantine 100+ million and shut down Wuhan (major electrical manufacturing area) damaging their own economy to what?
Influence US domestic politics?
Are you serious with this?
Italy, the 8th largest economy, shut down.
The entire nation of Norway.
etc etc etc all over the world.
Here in Oz they just passed emergency stimulus package to try to prevent a recession.
Some of our major suppliers are nearly out of business already from lack of supply from China and this isn't even close to being over with, probably closer to the start.
All for what?
To influence US domestic politics?

Those who say the dangers are being exaggerated would have us believe China would quarantine 100+ million and shut down Wuhan (major electrical manufacturing area) damaging their own economy to what?
Influence US domestic politics?
Are you serious with this?
Italy, the 8th largest economy, shut down.
The entire nation of Norway.
etc etc etc all over the world.
Here in Oz they just passed emergency stimulus package to try to prevent a recession.
Some of our major suppliers are nearly out of business already from lack of supply from China and this isn't even close to being over with, probably closer to the start.
All for what?
To influence US domestic politics?
Just read an article yesterday about China blaming the corona virus on the US military. Don't underestimate how far China will go to spread propaganda and pass blame.

If you think about it, this is unprecedented in human history. Previous events unfolded much slower due to lack of air travel. Heck just the ability to get in your car and travel hundreds of miles in a day makes the rate of spread that much faster. Combine the two and you've a turbo charged situation.

Makes you wonder how many times an illness like this just failed to spread since it was too remote to find enough hosts.

Well, you'll have to put it in context. So while viruses/diseases can spread faster, they aren't as deadly as they were, and the pandemics don't last as long. 100 years ago, it is estimated the Spanish flu pandemic caused tens of millions of deaths in a 2 year period. 90 years later, a different strain of the same illness, the so called swine flu, spread faster, lasted only 1 year, and the death toll was around half a million.

The "don't panic, it'll all go away" crowd think when things like this eventually do resolve, it just happens. Wrong. It happens because people make drastic changes necessary to create the resolution. Social distancing and cancellation of major events, schools, etc. are all "drastic" measures that will have an immeasurable positive impact on the final outcome.

It's important to listen to the real experts. One of the best quotes I've seen thus far: "If you think there is a shortage of toilet paper and hand sanitizer, just wait until you see the shortage of doctors."

Well, I am not part of the "don't panic, it'll all go away" crowd. I am just with the "don't panic" crowd.

In my entire life, I have never seen anything like what is happening right now...

Late night TV shows with no audience.
All Professional and College sports cancelled
Broadway cancelled
Schools Cancelled
Concerts cancelled
Parades Cancelled
Festivals Cancelled
Store shelves emptied
Travel to and from the USA closed
Wall Street sellouts..
Restaurants Empty and closing, some for good
Almost mass hysteria.
The loss of revenues alone is staggering.
Toilet paper shortages...
Americans told to stay indoors and not go to work if you are sick.

I can't even think what to compare this to..

Will the mail still be delivered? Packages?
Food to the stores, Gas to the gas stations?
Will Movie Theaters be closed?, or empty?

This is beyond amazing and something that I wonder how it be looked back upon..
Is this the Black Plaque for us, a mutated virus that's common to man, or an overblown media event?

Is this a wakeup call for mankind and us as humans globally?

So much to think about... I don't know if I can even explain it... But I have never seen anything like this ever.

Does anyone see where I am coming from and maybe why I didn't put this on the virus thread. Amazing.. It's almost incomprehensible.

I wonder what the world will be like tomorrow when I take my mother out for Lunch on her 77 Birthday...

During 9/11, stock market was shut down for 4 days. As was most of the country, including sports like baseball. NFL did play normally on Sunday. Also I remember a huge gas price spike, but that subsided within a day. Layoffs were pretty bad, too.

Katrina would be somewhat comparable, but that was a regional event, and a tleas there was a safe haven in other parts of the country.

And perhaps we may even again become more unified as a nation, as we did during both world wars.

yeah that won't last. we were buddy buddy after 9/11 and that didn't last and even then we weren't as polarized as a society then as we are now

Well, this looks like a good place to put my personal theory out there. I think it is a man-made virus by biology students in Austin, TX under the supervision of Loose Cannon. He and a group of nefarious millennial miscreants' plot is to rid the world of baby boomers with their simple math, phonics and their strain on the healthcare system.

Apologies to the OP, Joe. I'm seriously very concerned, too.

I am curious as to why you feel it's an over-reaction? Do you not believe the medical professionals who have explained how it is spread?
I do believe the experts and their explanation of how it spreads, but that's a known quantity, right? Practically, it isn't different from how other similar viruses spread.

Voluntarily shutting things down now exerts at least some control over the virus. Waiting until it has spread to thousands of people in a country woefully under-prepared for testing, treatment and vaccines before taking steps is just dumb. Erring on the side of caution is obviously the prudent choice as the people who stand to lose millions in revenue have so aptly pointed out by their actions.

I have no problem with erring on the side of caution. But as we learn more, I think we could be more efficient in dealing with this issue.

China had to take very drastic measures because they had no idea what they were dealing with, or how the virus spread, and how wide the virus had spread. But again, as we learn more about it, I think we could be more efficient in dealing with this issue.

As for being woefully under-prepared for testing, well, yes, new virus strain, test kits have to be created, distributed, applied... vaccines need to be created... but we are getting there, and the numbers, as I suspected, so far indicate that the spread is exponentially wider than what we see in verified cases, and the virus not as deadly as once thought, as the counter on the original thread shows (the counter coming from a reliable source). It started at ~5%, we are down to 2%... and at risk populations are getting more and more defined. I think when it is all said and done, doomsday, worst case scenarios notwithstanding, this virus is not going to be any worse than the flu.

And we don't care if we spread the flu.

It is very common to hear a player played a game with the flu. We actually praise players when they do that. We also pack arenas and stadiums all during flu season. Well, if you look at the CDC's estimates for the 2019-2020 flu season:
36 million to 50 million will get the flu.
17 million to 24 million will visit a doctor over the flu.
370,000 to 670,000 will be hospitalized.
22,000 to 55,000 will die of the flu.

And those who will die of the flu are most likely than not the same people at risk of dying from complications with COVID-19.

But we don't go cancelling seasons because a player got the flu, or because the flu is going around. Heck, we just pump them full of fluid and shove them onto the field, and we just gulp some Theraflu and off to the game we go to mutually infect each.

So I reiterate, I am not saying this issue is not a serious issue, or not a cause for concern, it is. But at the same time, as we learn more about it, I think we should become more efficient in dealing with it.

But in this day and age, I guess it is too much to ask of us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom