I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (1 Viewer)

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn JVG just told the NBA off.

I'm watching in a restaurant with no audio. What did he say?

On another note, that's a lot of empty seats for a Friday night game.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
I'm watching in a restaurant with no audio. What did he say?

On another note, that's a lot of empty seats for a Friday night game.

paraphrasing of course and he did take a small jab at Gayle but it was basically "Gayle Benson had a perfect opportunity to stand up for all small market teams and their owners and blew. How dare the NBA threaten the Pelicans with fines and other punishment if they don't play AD, If I was Gayle I would have asked the Commissioner how much do I make the check out for. It's absurd that AD can do whats best for him and the NBA can do whats best for them but the Pelicans can't do whats best for the Franchise"

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
paraphrasing of course and he did take a small jab at Gayle but it was basically "Gayle Benson had a perfect opportunity to stand up for all small market teams and their owners and blew. How dare the NBA threaten the Pelicans with fines and other punishment if they don't play AD, If I was Gayle I would have asked the Commissioner how much do I make the check out for. It's absurd that AD can do whats best for him and the NBA can do whats best for them but the Pelicans can't do whats best for the Franchise"
This is spot on. Anthony Davis can bail on the team while attempting to manipulate a trade yet the Pelicans can't act in their own obvious best interests?

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
This is spot on. Anthony Davis can bail on the team while attempting to manipulate a trade yet the Pelicans can't act in their own obvious best interests?

Agreed 100% Hell If I was his team mate I wouldn't even want him out there. JVG "how can the fans cheer him?"

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
Agreed 100% Hell If I was his team mate I wouldn't even want him out there. JVG "how can the fans cheer him?"
Most fans are casual and know nothing. If anything, they're fans of the player first before the team.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Anthony Davis:
"That was definitely awkward," Davis said. "Boo? OK. It doesn't matter to me. I'm going to go out there and play basketball. I was [surprised]. But hey, that's life, man. Some people are not gonna like me. I'm just happy to be back on the floor playing the game that I love."
Tf are you surprised about bruh? You just told this fanbase and franchise not only to go screw themselves, but take whatever trash L.A. has becuase thats where I want to go next.

You haven't been here all that long and right as you hit your peak as a player, screw nola? And you are surprised when they boo you now?

Coddled delusional athlete.

ThibodauxSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
In my opinion I don't think the fine would have been the problem. The league also threatened them with loss of draft picks. I believe the way to rebuild this franchise the right way will be through acquiring young talent and if the league starts stripping us of the picks we aquire in any trade would have been tough to swallow and I doubt they would have taken away meaningless picks. They would have hit us where they can hurt us the most especially with the way the Lakers are being portrayed as the victims in this whole mess.

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have some mixed feelings about all this.

Would AD feel better about playing here if the arena was more than 30% full?

And with respect to Jeff Van Gundy last night, he is spot on. What’s interesting to me is that the reason the league is twisting the Pels arm is for TV ratings so they play Marquee players. JVD is a television commentator. He’s part of the quilt and he’s willing to speak out. Good for him.

Last edited:

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have some mixed feelings about all this.

Would AD feel better about playing here if the arena was more than 30% full?

And with respect to Jeff Van Gundy last night, he is spot on. What’s interesting to me is that the reason the league is twisting the Pels arm is for TV ratings so they play Marquee players. JVD is a television commentator. He’s part of the quilt and he’s willing to speak out. Good for him.

The way I see it is that I don't think anything has to be mutually exclusive.

It is both true that the organization failed to put a consistently good team around AD in the 7 years he has been here. That it is justifiable to come to the conclusion that what is best for his legacy, his well being, and his wants and needs are to seek a new start somewhere else.

But it is also true that AD has so far gone about this is in an incredibly callous, selfish, and destructive way that is going to likely have knockdown effects on our short term team and organizational culture, our long-term prospects of recovering in the post-AD era, and that AD's outright embrace of this strategy and indifference to the harm he has actively brought to fans and the organization is justifiable grounds toward being highly critical and angry at AD.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Frankly, I have no problem with a guy who wants to re-sign with a team that he believes will give him a much improved shot at a title. I wasn't upset when Rickey Jackson went to San Francisco to get his ring because I believe that he did all he could to make the Saints a 'champion'. Obviously I would have no problem with a great player who is playing for a losing NFL franchise to consider signing with the Saints when he becomes a free agent if he can truly contribute and considers our organization as having the best shot at getting him a ring.

Just because Davis is the face of the franchise doesn't mean that he is obligated to stay here. But I do believe that if the Pelicans could assemble a top notch team around him that is ready to break through for a championship, he'd be happy as a lark to stay here. I don't believe that he has a problem with the city itself or the fans. He just wants to win a title while he still has the physical ability to make a difference for a team in the NBA.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Frankly, I have no problem with a guy who wants to re-sign with a team that he believes will give him a much improved shot at a title. I wasn't upset when Rickey Jackson went to San Francisco to get his ring because I believe that he did all he could to make the Saints a 'champion'. Obviously I would have no problem with a great player who is playing for a losing NFL franchise to consider signing with the Saints when he becomes a free agent if he can truly contribute and considers our organization as having the best shot at getting him a ring.

Just because Davis is the face of the franchise doesn't mean that he is obligated to stay here. But I do believe that if the Pelicans could assemble a top notch team around him that is ready to break through for a championship, he'd be happy as a lark to stay here. I don't believe that he has a problem with the city itself or the fans. He just wants to win a title while he still has the physical ability to make a difference for a team in the NBA.
I agree. I don’t fault him for any of that. But the way he has gone about it (and all of the public tampering) is an issue and is completely his fault. The team’s roster moves have no bearing on him doing that and breaking rules.

I think N.O Bronco did a great job a few posts ago highlighting how each side has made mistakes here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SoggyBottomBoy Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8

Headlines

Top Bottom