I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (1 Viewer)

ThibodauxSaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Hopefully this situation is a wake up call for the organization. They could have built a championship team around a player of AD's caliber if they had had patience. Instead of building through the draft and developing that talent over the course of 3 or 4 years they decided to instead trade away draft picks to acquire veteran talent and missed on a lot of them. Look for example at Golden State. The core of that team (Curry, Thompson, and Green) was built through the draft. Durant didn't join them until they had already been to 2 finals and won 1 championship.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t fault him for any of that. But the way he has gone about it (and all of the public tampering) is an issue and is completely his fault. The team’s roster moves have no bearing on him doing that and breaking rules.

I think N.O Bronco did a great job a few posts ago highlighting how each side has made mistakes here.
I'm going to give AD some (perhaps undeserved) credit that he is a little naive and got suckered by Lebron and Rich Paul either by being talked into this plan or being blindsided by it (the leaks and doing it in public). However, the fact remains that he hired these dipshits, and that's on him.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t fault him for any of that. But the way he has gone about it (and all of the public tampering) is an issue and is completely his fault. The team’s roster moves have no bearing on him doing that and breaking rules.

I think N.O Bronco did a great job a few posts ago highlighting how each side has made mistakes here.
This is true. I'm really not very knowledgeable about the NBA and how such moves are to be made by policy, but I can certainly understand that he was involved with jumping the gun and trying to force the hand of his team. It makes me wonder how much of what happened was solely the actions of Davis and how much was orchestrated by those representing him.

Either way, I hope the Pelicans come out the better by making the kind of deals and moves that will make us legitimate contenders in the near future.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
My whole beef with all of this is the narrative that Davis and his agent has put forth that our roster is trash and he can't win a championship here. That is BS. If they just said what they meant, I would respect them a little, they just want an easier path for more championships for the king. We were well on our way to being legitimate championship contenders and if Davis would have performed better last year, we could have made the finals.

What they need to understand is that winning The Finals is not supposed to be easy, it is hard and it takes a certain level of commitment to achieve that goal. Instead of taking the hard road to success, these guys have chosen to take the easy path by banding together to form all-star teams to win.

This is why the NBA is a joke league. In all honesty, there are not enough quality players field 30 teams and the way the NBA is set up, there are maybe 4 to 8 teams that have a chance to make it to the finals leaving the others as just a farm team for the contenders. Who wants watch that? Say what you want about how the NFL runs its league, but they did get the idea of parity right in the sense that all 32 teams have a legitimate shot at the SB. The NBA, on the other hand, it's more so about the individual who gets to play for the title than which team.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Just because Davis is the face of the franchise doesn't mean that he is obligated to stay here. But I do believe that if the Pelicans could assemble a top notch team around him that is ready to break through for a championship, he'd be happy as a lark to stay here. I don't believe that he has a problem with the city itself or the fans. He just wants to win a title while he still has the physical ability to make a difference for a team in the NBA.
Wen it comes to smaller markets, this has NEVER been proven to be true post the 90s era. Where is Kevin Durant at now? Shaq? Dwight Howard? Kahwi Leonard? They all left winning smaller market franchises. Honestly, the Pelicans have had more success than the Lakers in the last 9 years, so it almost happened again.

Let's stop ignoring the market/$$ aspect of this. It's Los Angeles versus New Orleans as much as it is Pelicans versus Lakers. I made a point a while ago how Paul Pierce just sat in Boston WAY longer than AD has been here before he finally got that championship team. And Boston got two players from winning, smaller market franchises to do it.

Last edited:

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would guess he has no clue, unless he just means LA generally as a place he'd like to play and live. To play with Lebron in 5 years - assuming he's still playing then?

A *ton* will change in that time, including what Zion probably wants to do, not to mention the landscape of the NBA.

LAhotsauce

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think that's supposed to be a joke.

How does he know the Lakers would even want him then? He has no idea how he will perform as a pro, or if he stays healthy. At which point he'd beg the Magic to offer him a contract.

And why would he purposefully tank his draft prospects? Ja Morant aint that far behind him, if at all, as the #1 pick.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I think that's supposed to be a joke.

How does he know the Lakers would even want him then? He has no idea how he will perform as a pro, or if he stays healthy. At which point he'd beg the Magic to offer him a contract.

And why would he purposefully tank his draft prospects? Ja Morant aint that far behind him, if at all, as the #1 pick.
The best satire is that which is hardly discernable from reality.

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
The players really do run that league it seems. Not an NBA fan so don't follow it that close. I am a City of NO fan and really wish the Pel's FO would get it together.

Oye

shopgirl's metaphysic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The players really do run that league it seems. Not an NBA fan so don't follow it that close. I am a City of NO fan and really wish the Pel's FO would get it together.
I'm not sure 'run the league' is quite on the mark, but they do moreso than the NFL. That player presence is part of the reason, though, that the NBA has been surging in popularity. There are people who don't like that player-centric dynamic that exists in the NBA (esp relative to other sports), but there are a heckuva lot of people who do.

e.g. A Game and Its Culture: Why the NBA has Thrived While the NFL has Declined

Today’s NBA is a professional-sports league on the rise. Its ratings on TNT are up 20 percent from last year. Its ratings on NBATV, the league’s cable channel, are up 20 percent. ESPN and ABC’s NBA ratings are up as well, and 17 out of 30 teams have seen improvements in their local markets. Taken in isolation, these numbers are impressive. Viewed in context, they’re breathtaking.
Yet the NBA rolls on. How? It’s a league that’s political, but it’s not defined by politics. Its stars can be controversial, but they’re not defined by controversy. It’s a league that’s learned to put the main thing — the game — front and center while respecting its players’ convictions and individuality.
Second, the NBA not only has learned how to celebrate its players and respect their autonomy, it’s blessed with a generation of young stars who use that freedom to live publicly as family men, with stars such as Curry and James showcasing their domestic life on social media.
Critically, a league that respects its players earns respect in turn. It prohibits kneeling without controversy in part because the players don’t feel stifled. The NBA encourages them to develop their immense public platforms. Last September, James declared, “My voice is stronger than my knee” — a sentiment that, for him, is surely true, and a sentiment that the NFL would do well to understand.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure 'run the league' is quite on the mark, but they do moreso than the NFL. That player presence is part of the reason, though, that the NBA has been surging in popularity. There are people who don't like that player-centric dynamic that exists in the NBA (esp relative to other sports), but there are a heckuva lot of people who do.

yeah, trade of is NBA players make themselves available all of the time
they actively engage in league outreach as partners

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

My 15 year old cousin simply doesn't get football, or team sports really. But he really enjoys the NBA. Now I understand basketball is a team sport, but to him, you might as well be invisible if your name isn't Lebron or Dennis Rodman. He's obsessed with individual stars and personalities and the NBA presentation facilitates that.

Unfortunately, this approach has prohibited him from seeing the good in sport for its own sake. Playing school football or basketball was only ever an avenue for him to develop his own individual stardom and dominance. Of course it's part of most young boys' experience to dream of winning the game for your team. But somewhere along the line, those of us who are athletically average find value and enjoyment in the virtues of team sport and it's ability to mimic other aspects of life. For my cousin, this meant he quit sports altogether when he realized he wasn't going to be Jimmy Graham or Lebron James.

I asked him this past week what he thought of the AD situation. He said he was happy about it because AD deserves to win. From his perspective, the team serves the purpose of facilitating the success of the individual and the Pelicans can't do that for AD. As long as there's a core of fans who feel this way, the small market teams will be on the losing end of things. Thank goodness the NFL isn't stuck in that particular rut.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SoggyBottomBoy Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8

Headlines

Top Bottom