I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (4 Viewers)

I think his lack of defense is by design because the Gentry couldn't care less about defense. He seems content with allowing teams to average 150 points per game as long as we can score 151. That is the reason why he has failed to produce wins.

NBA defense today isn't measured in points. The Pelicans are a high pace team. They can give up 110-120 and still have a good defensive game.

So they are angry that Demps didnt tell Gentry WHILE a competitve game on national tv was being played?

If you wanted to get rid of Demps then just do it. Dont try to hide behind this weak excuse.

So they are angry that Demps didnt tell Gentry WHILE a competitve game on national tv was being played?

If you wanted to get rid of Demps then just do it. Dont try to hide behind this weak excuse.

I don't think they are. It was coming. It just accelerated the process.

NBA defense today isn't measured in points. The Pelicans are a high pace team. They can give up 110-120 and still have a good defensive game.
And how is that working out for them? The Warriors and The LeBrons won their championships by playing solid D, not by running back and forth like fools. Gentry's style, much like D'Antonio's, will always fail because they do not value defense. I suspect that is a small part of the reason why Davis wants out.

He left with his agent. Not a trainer.

Its also indicative of what is happening in the NBA regarding superstar players and the wrestling match of control.

I'm torn. On one hand, the players are taking advantage of their talent and using to leverage as much as they can in an open, free market. However, in a free market big bank buys little bank. Little bank can't compete. So it thins out competition. In the end, the consumer loses. (fans).

I'm torn. On one hand, the players are taking advantage of their talent and using to leverage as much as they can in an open, free market. However, in a free market big bank buys little bank. Little bank can't compete. So it thins out competition. In the end, the consumer loses. (fans).

Well if you look at it as the NBA is the company and their goal is to put out an entertaining product, this free market bubble obviously isn't working well.

Then again, when a player is walking away from an 80 million dollar payday, I'm not sure what else you can do.

And how is that working out for them? The Warriors and The LeBrons won their championships by playing solid D, not by running back and forth like fools. Gentry's style, much like D'Antonio's, will always fail because they do not value defense. I suspect that is a small part of the reason why Davis wants out.
Honestly they won by doing both. Pace and space is pretty much a default of the league these days, so Gentry's philosophy has more than some merit. The Warriors have built a dynasty on it....with an offensive system he personally built.

And to fairness to Gentry, he preaches defense almost nauseatingly, his first hire was to bring in a Thibodeux protege to be his assistant head coach, but it just doesn't get executed.

This isn't an excuse making exercise for Gentry because ultimately I think he is a at best slightly above average coach that requires a set of circumstances around him to be successful(unlike great coaches he doesn't know how to adjust his strategies and tactics to elevate the roster he has, instead demanding the roster's he has adjust to his ideal system). Since I think part of that failure is on Gentry for demanding too much from too thin of a talent pool, but part of it is the talent. No one would argue that Thibs isn't one of the greatest defensive minds of this generation, he basically invented a number of modern NBA defensive tactics that are in use by practically every team, but he had a group of guys that refused to put in the effort and it both frustrated him and forced a guy like Jimmy Butler to get disgruntled. There is just not a world where the Pels are going to be a above average defense running Tim Frazier at point, Julius Randle at center/power forward, and Etwaun Moore at small forward for significant minutes. You could replace Gentry with Thibs and Ron Adams as his assistant and that unit isn't cracking the top part of the league in defense.

Last edited:
I wonder if AD and company failed to consider the possibility that the push to trade to LA wouldn't work.

I'm sure Rich and Poppa Davis didn't approve this statement...

:scratch:

If you're wanting to get traded to LA, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to get traded to Boston.

That said, Boston has a good bit of talent and I think adding AD would make them the instant favorites out of the Eastern Conference.

The Bensons paid $338 million in 2012 for a team that's worth $1.2 billion in 2019, so I'm pretty sure she was already proven right.
Yes she has been, but I was referring to what she said in her interview a few months ago where Tom Benson lamented that they paid more for the club than it's estimated value.
At it's current value, there is no question that it was a good buy.

So not only is AD playing tomorrow but hill be on LeBrons show on March 1st. What in the actual fork. Pelicans seriously need to tell the NBA to piss off and send AD home for the season.

So not only is AD playing tomorrow but hill be on LeBrons show on March 1st. What in the actual fork. Pelicans seriously need to tell the NBA to piss off and send AD home for the season.

Yeah, he seems absolutely clueless about the media and perception. He must be a very impressionable guy to go keep going along with some of these ideas and statements. He is still being protected (to ridiculous levels) by a lot of ESPN folks (looking at you, Bomani Jones and Pablo Torre) but a lot of NBA writers and podcasters who admittedly WANT him to play with Lebron have admitted that he is being really inconsistent and disrespectful. Even they don't like what he is doing and the way that he and his people are going about it.

And as far as the NBA goes, this should be obvious grounds to just send him home until a trade is made. I know these leagues all have TV deals but at a certain point, you have to allow teams to do what is obviously best and right for them (especially since this has been a wildly inconsistently enforced rule anyway).

NBA needs franchise tag like NFL. Would cut down on players stacking a team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom