I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (4 Viewers)

His Cavs team won a championship and he is known to be a shrewd businessman. That will come in handy for the Davis trade.

Just as important is how soon he makes a decision on Gentry. I know they worked together in Phoenix, but it shouldn't be enough to save Gentry's job.

Just as important is how soon he makes a decision on Gentry. I know they worked together in Phoenix, but it shouldn't be enough to save Gentry's job.

Yep. We already have an idea of how he is going to go about the trades. Hiring a coach isn’t exactly his forte from what i can gather. I’m going to guess he lets Gentry have one more year. Either that or they hire someone else under him to find the head coach. It still isn’t clear if someone will be under him in GM role. To be honest. I think most people don’t know the difference between VP of operations and GM. Sounds like a consultant role to me but that’s just an ASSumption.

I dunno, I'd rather get a fresh start with another coach. But, Gentry has to be on the hot seat. If he doesn't improve this season, the Pels need to go a different route. I'm not really a fan of Gentry. I think there are better options out there.

I dunno, I'd rather get a fresh start with another coach. But, Gentry has to be on the hot seat. If he doesn't improve this season, the Pels need to go a different route. I'm not really a fan of Gentry. I think there are better options out there.

There may be better options out there, but Gentry has never really been given a shot with a roster that fits the way he wants to play. Demps gave him big men instead of guys that can run, shoot, and play defense. So maybe he should get a shot with a different roster. Beyond that, next year is probably a rebuilding year with a roster of young players so you might as well give him another year since he's under contract anyway instead of wasting money paying two coaches for a year when you are rebuilding. I also think Gentry is probably a guy who might be able to develop younger players.

I mean, I'm far from a basketball expert, but I think Demps was the major problem with the Pelicans over the AD years. IMO he crippled the team by giving away all their draft picks for mediocre vets when he should have been using them to find one or two good young players to put with AD. Of course, it also doesn't help that AD isn't really the type of leader you need for your superstar player.

There may be better options out there, but Gentry has never really been given a shot with a roster that fits the way he wants to play. Demps gave him big men instead of guys that can run, shoot, and play defense. So maybe he should get a shot with a different roster. Beyond that, next year is probably a rebuilding year with a roster of young players so you might as well give him another year since he's under contract anyway instead of wasting money paying two coaches for a year when you are rebuilding. I also think Gentry is probably a guy who might be able to develop younger players.

I mean, I'm far from a basketball expert, but I think Demps was the major problem with the Pelicans over the AD years. IMO he crippled the team by giving away all their draft picks for mediocre vets when he should have been using them to find one or two good young players to put with AD. Of course, it also doesn't help that AD isn't really the type of leader you need for your superstar player.

Demps’ hands were kind of tied. We have been in win now mode since even before drafting AD. He was kind of pressured to get players that could contribute right away. Especially after drafting AD because they tried to make moves to keep him here. Hence the Boogie trade. Ended up backfiring but he was aggressive just like the Bensons wanted.

I'd rather start fresh with a new coach exactly because it's a rebuilding year and why waste it on Gentry. He apparently can only run one type of offense, doesn't adjust well mid-game, and almost always has his team playing down to the level of competition instead of beating the teams he should beat. Sorry, but he needs to go. There needs to be a reason for fans to buy tickets while the team remains an unknown and a coach no one has confidence in is not the way to do that.

I'd rather start fresh with a new coach exactly because it's a rebuilding year and why waste it on Gentry. He apparently can only run one type of offense, doesn't adjust well mid-game, and almost always has his team playing down to the level of competition instead of beating the teams he should beat. Sorry, but he needs to go. There needs to be a reason for fans to buy tickets while the team remains an unknown and a coach no one has confidence in is not the way to do that.
I can't believe the Pels are going to revamp everything ...except the coaching staff. What the Fork!?

Gentry has a system, yes. It's produced a ton of losing seasons spread across almost 20 years.

While I agree with you two on a new coach also think of this. Griffin was just hired and now he has to hire a front office, scouting dept, Draft evaluations and draft, expand the G-League, oh and trade A.D. That's a lot he needs to do. Plus I would thunk the team really bonded with the coaches during the A.D. fiasco. I'm no Gentry fan but I really don't have an issue with him staying another year while Griffin reshapes the front office then he can focus on the coaches.

While I agree with you two on a new coach also think of this. Griffin was just hired and now he has to hire a front office, scouting dept, Draft evaluations and draft, expand the G-League, oh and trade A.D. That's a lot he needs to do. Plus I would thunk the team really bonded with the coaches during the A.D. fiasco. I'm no Gentry fan but I really don't have an issue with him staying another year while Griffin reshapes the front office then he can focus on the coaches.

Griffin is a big boy - hiring a new coach is exactly what an Exec VP of Basketball of Operations is supposed to do.

This basically punts everything one year further down the road. Regardless of what happens with the draft/AD trade, a lame duck coach means zero meaningful FAs.

Maybe its our own version of The Process, I dunno

I'll say this much, whatever coaching decision Griffin makes, I'm gonna trust him to build a winning program for the Pels. I just hope he doesn't settle. My feeling is the coaching staff should be part of the overhaul. But that's me.

In 3 seasons with the team(counting this throw away season), he has won a playoff series. I think he should have been replaced too if we are rebooting but I can see why they are giving him another chance. This season wasn't his fault. In fact, had the Payton/Jrue combo stayed healthy all year we would have made the playoffs this season.

In 3 seasons with the team(counting this throw away season), he has won a playoff series. I think he should have been replaced too if we are rebooting but I can see why they are giving him another chance. This season wasn't his fault. In fact, had the Payton/Jrue combo stayed healthy all year we would have made the playoffs this season.

I'd argue that last season's playoff success had more to do with Rondo's film study sessions and "coaching", plus Mirotic coming in well coached and immediately improving our passing game than it had anything to do with Gentry's influence. And you are correct, I think Payton's early season injury derailed us before we even got rolling, but again, nothing to do with Gentry.

Demps’ hands were kind of tied. We have been in win now mode since even before drafting AD. He was kind of pressured to get players that could contribute right away. Especially after drafting AD because they tried to make moves to keep him here. Hence the Boogie trade. Ended up backfiring but he was aggressive just like the Bensons wanted.

I mean, they gave Demps 9 years to build a team before firing him. I don't think that's really telling him his has to win now and will not get time to develop players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom