I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (5 Viewers)

I agree about Davis not being a Super Star. He lacks the leadership skills and ability to make others better that makes a Super Star. He's a great player, but he seems to lack the intangibles to really lead a team like Jordan, Wade, Magic, and others.

I think that Griffin extending the hand of peace to AD and his agent is more about mending fences and making all the agents feel better about how the team is run. You don't want agents getting the idea that you will go slash and burn or any player that wants to be traded (that wasn't what happened since Klutch and AD just handled the whole thing horribly, but Klutch has the power to make others not want to deal with the Pelicans.).

So, in the end I think they still trade AD, but mending fences with him before that allows the team to look better to all the agents and at least give the team some fairly plausible argument that if they don't get what they want in trade they could just sign him to a new contract and keep him.
I think mending fences, or really just trying to make the organization look better, is only 25% of it. I think 75% is to regain some trade leverage.

per Stein

Among the initial moves new GM David Griffin is attempting to make in New Orleans: League sources say he has secured permission to make a run at Aaron Nelson ... longtime point man of the Phoenix Suns' vaunted athletic training staff

He's not a super star. He's a second banana that melted when it was time to be an actual super star.
No doubt about his melting under spotlight
per Stein

Among the initial moves new GM David Griffin is attempting to make in New Orleans: League sources say he has secured permission to make a run at Aaron Nelson ... longtime point man of the Phoenix Suns' vaunted athletic training staff
its a sound move. You need to invest in the health of your players. If there is one thing I can point to that sunk the Pels these last few years it’s injuries. I swear we were the most injured team in the NBA since America was invented.

David Griffin isn’t posturing.

He wants to keep Anthony Davis in New Orleans. And he’s not afraid to say it.

“I’m extremely optimistic relative to opportunity that lies ahead of us in the form of Anthony Davis,” Griffin said during his introductory news conference.

Considering the drudgery and acrimony Davis created over the past four months, it’s a jarring sentence to hear behind a New Orleans Pelicans’ podium.

But, honestly, why wouldn’t Griffin feel that way? The Pelicans’ new executive vice president doesn’t hold any hard feelings about Davis, who requested a trade 18 months before his contract expires.

[Charania] “I’m told that if the Knicks get the #1 pick they will shift their focus to a potential deal for Anthony Davis...There might not be a better deal out there than the Knicks. That would arm them in free agency with Anthony Davis [to sway] star players like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant”

Per Rotoworld:

Anthony Davis would reportedly consider re-signing with the Knicks if he's traded to New York this summer.

If the Knicks land the No. 1 overall pick (Zion Williamson), then they would reportedly be open to using that pick as leverage in AD-trade talks. The Knicks could put together a package involving the No. 1 pick, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr. and Kevin Knox, and that would also grant them enough cap space to potentially sign two, max-contract free agents. Such a deal would also likely include the Knicks giving up future first-round picks.

Tonight's lottery will have HUGE implications on this franchise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom