I know we have a pels board but (2018/19 edition) (6 Viewers)

The problem with this argument is that historically the Saints were similar. The number of blackout games when I was kid were quite high and even had to have private businesses step into to purchase tickets so games could be broadcasted up into the early 2000s. The Saints did not have the level of ticket sales and wait list for season tickets until they became a part of the rebirth process post Katrina. That paired with the team actually winning over the last 12 seasons has led to the common statement that New Orleans is only a football town when historically the support (in the form of ticket sales) were not always there.

If the Pelicans can win consistently, they can draw people in. The arena for the playoffs last season was incredible. It just hasn't been sustainable success.
During my time as a Saints fan, from about 2000, I don’t remember a game getting blacked out.

they should be able to sit Davis with absolutely no threat of any sort of penalty from the NBA

During my time as a Saints fan, from about 2000, I don’t remember a game getting blacked out.

I can remember games back to around 82 and trust me it was an issue in the 80s and a good portion of the 90s

I can remember games back to around 82 and trust me it was an issue in the 80s and a good portion of the 90s
I still think New Orleans can only support one team, especially now since the Saints have not only been successful, they have a championship and rank in the top five teams in the League in terms of wins. The Saints overshadow the Pelicans.

I still think New Orleans can only support one team, especially now since the Saints have not only been successful, they have a championship and rank in the top five teams in the League in terms of wins. The Saints overshadow the Pelicans.

People can say this all they want and it will seem true until the pelicans can put together sustained success and then people will care.

People can say this all they want and it will seem true until the pelicans can put together sustained success and then people will care.
But the NBA isn’t built that way. It’s never been built around that. The NBA is built around either the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls or another marquee team winning the title. Even the perceived smaller markets in the NBA like Detroit are bigger cities than New Orleans. That’s how the NBA has always been.
Add to that, the NBA got here too late. I’ve seen more Lakers shirts, hats, and jerseys than Pelicans apparel.

you can thank Hibernia bank for that.

Prior to that, PLENTY of games were blacked out. I started season tix in 1998. I remember sitting in my seats and the next closest person was 10 seats away. we would move down, walk around etc lol ( i was up in terrace )

Pels need to win consistently to manufacture a solid fan base. It takes years for a solid fan base to form, and within those years there will be highs and lows. But we have been to playoffs, what 2 times in last 8 years? and in the NBA, when they take the top 8 of 15, it shouldnt be THAT hard to do. Its a combination of fans wanting to win now, win consistently and the Pels brass not making good decisions with player evaluation and signing.
My issue with the brass is they knew what AD would be from year 1. Yet we wallowed around with Ajinca and Asik, experimented with fringe players and never surrounded AD with legit talent. Thats my issue.

But the NBA isn’t built that way. It’s never been built around that. The NBA is built around either the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls or another marquee team winning the title. Even the perceived smaller markets in the NBA like Detroit are bigger cities than New Orleans. That’s how the NBA has always been.
Add to that, the NBA got here too late. I’ve seen more Lakers shirts, hats, and jerseys than Pelicans apparel.

Funny you don't mention any of the franchises that won the past 5 championships, the most glaring is Golden State. While Golden State has been there for years and has had a history of success decades ago prior to current history, they went through a VERY dark period where they were surely not selling out their arena. Now they are the gold standard of the league. Small market teams can thrive and pull people in IF THEY WIN.

Honestly, if you are just here to keep telling all of us that the team will never have a foothold here, I don't understand why you are part of the conversation anyway.

you can thank Hibernia bank for that.

Prior to that, PLENTY of games were blacked out. I started season tix in 1998. I remember sitting in my seats and the next closest person was 10 seats away. we would move down, walk around etc lol ( i was up in terrace )
I do remember those days. I used to move around in the Plaza after the start of the game to seats on the 50 yard line. Since there was little chance that the people who had the seats would actually show up, the Superdome personnel wouldn't even say anything even when they saw you move to the better seats.

During that time I saw many folks actually giving tickets away to anyone outside the stadium who wanted to see the games. If you ain't winning... no one is interested in watching disappointing losses.

Winn Dixie used to buy up and then give away a bunch of tickets. Thats how a friend and I saw the Colts blow us out of the Dome in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Funny you don't mention any of the franchises that won the past 5 championships, the most glaring is Golden State. While Golden State has been there for years and has had a history of success decades ago prior to current history, they went through a VERY dark period where they were surely not selling out their arena. Now they are the gold standard of the league. Small market teams can thrive and pull people in IF THEY WIN.

Honestly, if you are just here to keep telling all of us that the team will never have a foothold here, I don't understand why you are part of the conversation anyway.
The Warriors are going to be a big market team when they move to San Francisco.
I’m not saying that the Pelicans can’t have a foothold in the city or get an identity in Louisiana. I’m just saying because of the Saints longevity, success, future Hall of Famers (Brees is a lock, but Payton prolly has a good shot), and a Super Bowl, it makes it even harder to get noticed. Especially when that team has been there since the 60s and when New Orleans got a NBA team in the mid 2000s.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom