I like Payton but his insistence on playing starters late in blowouts is hurting the team (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
His refusal to protect important players in games that are over continues to bite this team in the arse.

This year, he wants to run up the score on Tampa in week 1. The game was OVER. There was a little more than 2 minutes left. We had the ball and the Bucs had no timeouts. But he's still trying to score and ends up ruining Thomas' season.

In the Carolina blowout to end the season, he still has Armstead out there and running plays with Hill. They both get hurt.

In the Bears blowout, he's letting Brees try to go over the top.

Two seasons ago in preseason, he plays Peat in the meaningless 4th game and gets him hurt.

Numerous times, we get injured defenders in the final 2-3 minutes of sure wins when other teams are driving for garbage points because Payton leaves starters out there.

But but, rosters are limited. BS. We have more than enough WRs to take Thomas out. Hurst could play for Armstead. We could handoff to Washington instead of having Brees leap.

When a game is over, guys you can't afford to lose should be on the bench.

His refusal to protect important players in games that are over continues to bite this team in the arse.

This year, he wants to run up the score on Tampa in week 1. The game was OVER. There was a little more than 2 minutes left. We had the ball and the Bucs had no timeouts. But he's still trying to score and ends up ruining Thomas' season.

In the Carolina blowout to end the season, he still has Armstead out there and running plays with Hill. They both get hurt.

Two seasons ago in preseason, he plays Peat in the meaningless 4th game and gets him hurt.

Numerous times, we get injured defenders in the final 2-3 minutes of sure wins when other teams are driving for garbage points because Payton leaves starters out there.

But but, rosters are limited. BS. We have more than enough WRs to take Thomas out. Hurst could play for Armstead. We could handoff to Washington instead of having Brees leap.

Mike Thomas got hurt because he wasn't blocking full speed.

Players want to be out there. Everyone is playing for something
Don't discount this---remember Sanders playing late into the last game? $500K bonus
Remember Ingram throwing a fit on the sideline in a meaningless game late in the 2016 season against the Cardinals? Tim Hightower got the TD

You're right, the Brees leap vs Chicago was completely unnecessary. And Kamara in particular would be out there at the end of games, getting piled up on in obvious running situations.

I think you have to leave the offensive linemen in when you can though. They have to play as a unit- not to mention having backup linemen in there can result in other players getting hurt.

He should have benched Brees in the 4th. But he is too loyal to a fault.
Belecick benched Bledsoe and Saban benched Hurts. Look what happened.

has nothing to do with the playoff loss sp is he can't call a good game during the playoffs or make adjustments. Even with resting and a bye week his teams have under preformed during the playoffs offense specifically

That's false, he took him out when he would've TIED the record. He got another chance and succeeded.
If he left him in he could've broken the record instead of just tying it. I don't get why he ever took him out. One of those Saints mysteries I'll never know the answer to.

Like why he put Mark Ingram in at the end of that GB game in 2011 to try and score over a pile with them short legs.

The only one I'll really give you is the Tampa game. We should have been in kneel down mode at that point but Payton obviously wanted to make a statement vs the Bucs. It's extremely bad luck but after the luck we've had the last four years if I were Payton I'd take no chances lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom